I need a 4K tv...anybody here? | GTAMotorcycle.com

I need a 4K tv...anybody here?

sempre1

I'm in the market to purchase a 4K tv 65" i like the Sony's or LG. Anybody on the forum can get me a good deal on these 4ks?
Drop me a line if you work to an electronic place!
Tnk you...cheers;-)

Where would you get the 4K content to watch?
Netflix, YouTube, Amazon, 4k Bluray, UHD video packs, etc. Rogers is gonna be broadcasting 100 live sporting events in 4k next year. Netflix and Amazon are even gonna start streaming 4k HDR content now too... which if you've seen 4k content in high dynamic range you'll know its frickin amazing. So yeah, 4k is here and it's available.

Netflix, YouTube, Amazon, 4k Bluray, UHD video packs, etc. Rogers is gonna be broadcasting 100 live sporting events in 4k next year. Netflix and Amazon are even gonna start streaming 4k HDR content now too... which if you've seen 4k content in high dynamic range you'll know its frickin amazing. So yeah, 4k is here and it's available.

Right on mate...actually before i was thinking of buying a very good panel 1080p and right now is the time to buy they are really cheap, but once you see out there the 4k it is hard going back with the 1080p So yes it is well worth it investing the $ to a 4k:)

I'd wait until the content is available (in the mainstream broadcasting, not just BluRay or YouTube) before jumping on the TV - you might save a lot by waiting that extra year...and perhaps end up with a better TV on top of it.

In 2000/2001 I spent a metric crap ton of money buying a HD projection TV (best you could buy at the time) and then another crap ton of money buying the necessary HD equipment to power it. At that time I had Starchoice Satellite and you not only needed a compatible base model receiver, but an additional "sidecar" HD decoder that worked in tandem with it. It was a lot of money....and you know what? I had 2 really impressive HD channels I could watch that showed the same stuff on a repeating loop. It took YEARS before actual meaningful HD content started to appear in regular broadcast.

If you look at the actual online content available it's still pretty limited, so relying on Netflix or YouTube is going to seem limiting fast.

I don't know, I just don't see it as something I'd invest in at this moment in time unless you need a new TV anyways. Looking back at my experience, being an early adopter of something that was available but didn't actually have a lot of content wasn't my greatest decision ever when a year or so later prices had dropped signifigantly from what I paid, and newer and better receiver hardware had hit the market which I ended up spending MORE money to purchase since it was a far superior setup from the clunky and slow sidecar HD hardware.

Right on mate...actually before i was thinking of buying a very good panel 1080p and right now is the time to buy they are really cheap, but once you see out there the 4k it is hard going back with the 1080p So yes it is well worth it investing the $ to a 4k:)

Investing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd wait until the content is available (in the mainstream broadcasting, not just BluRay or YouTube) before jumping on the TV - you might save a lot by waiting that extra year...and perhaps end up with a better TV on top of it.

In 2000/2001 I spent a metric crap ton of money buying a HD projection TV (best you could buy at the time) and then another crap ton of money buying the necessary HD equipment to power it. At that time I had Starchoice Satellite and you not only needed a compatible base model receiver, but an additional "sidecar" HD decoder that worked in tandem with it. It was a lot of money....and you know what? I had 2 really impressive HD channels I could watch that showed the same stuff on a repeating loop. It took YEARS before actual meaningful HD content started to appear in regular broadcast.

If you look at the actual online content available it's still pretty limited, so relying on Netflix or YouTube is going to seem limiting fast.

I don't know, I just don't see it as something I'd invest in at this moment in time unless you need a new TV anyways. Looking back at my experience, being an early adopter of something that was available but didn't actually have a lot of content wasn't my greatest decision ever when a year or so later prices had dropped signifigantly from what I paid, and newer and better receiver hardware had hit the market which I ended up spending MORE money to purchase since it was a far superior setup from the clunky and slow sidecar HD hardware.
4k was 'early adopter' 3 years ago. Its completely mainstream now.

Also waiting on networks to broadcast in 4k is dumb. They're the slowest of the bunch. Digital streaming and 4k BR is where 90% of people will get their UHD media.

There is not a lot of perceptible difference between "Real" HD and 4k content - Holding off on my Rods and Cones Speech :)

We've been doing 4k workflows for the last 18 months and it looks a little better but not worth investing in a new TV. I'd hold off until HDR. The DICOM based standard is spectacular.

Lots of TVs have HDR already though I know its not standardized. You could end up waiting forever to buy a TV with that mindset. Even if you don't have the bandwidth for 4k, the big streaming providers will phase in 1440p resolutions as an intermediary. To say you won't note a difference depends entirely on how big the TV is and where you sit. Why not go big?

Get a high end Samsung and you're set. They release evolution kits annually to upgrade previous models to latest specs.

Last edited:
Eyes aren't digital they don't 'see' resolution. To add to that, its a dumb question to ask. I can see individual pixels on my QHD 5.5" phone if I look close enough. Same goes for a 1080p 60" TV if you sit a few feet closer than average distance. That's kinda one of the points of ultra high resolution TVs..the ability to have a bigger screen for the same viewing distance.

Btw the original Steve Jobs 'retina' iPhone was like 320ppi. He swore up and down that the human eye couldn't perceive individual pixels at that density but hold an iphone4 next to a new QHD phone with 500+ ppi and tell me you can't tell a difference lol

I have the 65" Samsung HU8550 that I purchased at the beginning of this year. It's imperative that you match your viewing distance with the desired resolution and screen size, otherwise you're wasting money.

I sit about 3-4 feet away from mine when I'm viewing/gaming in 4K and it's phenomenal. When I went to Hawaii in Feb I picked up a GoPro and filmed my travels in 4K, that resulting video alone was worth the TV expenditure.

I would also suggest you look at some reviews on the 4K telly's that you're interested in as to see what features matter to you most. For me, the Samsung had the best ratings.

This guy knows his stuff: http://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/

I have the 65" Samsung HU8550 that I purchased at the beginning of this year. It's imperative that you match your viewing distance with the desired resolution and screen size, otherwise you're wasting money.

I sit about 3-4 feet away from mine when I'm viewing/gaming in 4K and it's phenomenal. When I went to Hawaii in Feb I picked up a GoPro and filmed my travels in 4K, that resulting video alone was worth the TV expenditure.

I would also suggest you look at some reviews on the 4K telly's that you're interested in as to see what features matter to you most. For me, the Samsung had the best ratings.

This guy knows his stuff: http://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/

I have an HU8550 as well. I'm gonna buy the evolution kit for it soon.. as you're probably aware, you can't get 4k on youtube right now without an evo kit. The codec support wasn't there when the TV was originally designed. The kit also adds full HDR capability and by all accounts is well worth the money.

Eyes aren't digital they don't 'see' resolution. To add to that, its a dumb question to ask. I can see individual pixels on my QHD 5.5" phone if I look close enough. Same goes for a 1080p 60" TV if you sit a few feet closer than average distance. That's kinda one of the points of ultra high resolution TVs..the ability to have a bigger screen for the same viewing distance.

interesting

I am not going to argue the merits of a 4K tv (I just dont know), but from a content standpoint, i don't see streamable services like netflix able to provide sufficient bandwidth for a proper 4K picture. The stream will be 4K resolution but would be very lossy to the point where it would not really take full advantage of 4K, just like how Netflix HD stream is lossy for 1080p.

I am not going to argue the merits of a 4K tv (I just dont know), but from a content standpoint, i don't see streamable services like netflix able to provide sufficient bandwidth for a proper 4K picture. The stream will be 4K resolution but would be very lossy to the point where it would not really take full advantage of 4K, just like how Netflix HD stream is lossy for 1080p.

Everything is compressed, even 1080p content on bluray discs. 1080p streams have been improving constantly. Modern 4K TVs have massive processing power to make use of HEVC and VP9 encoding which a few years ago wouldn't have been possible. Combine with higher average internet connection speeds and a 4K stream can kick ***. The streaming providers are also offering an in-between resolution at 1440p, so you don't need the full 4K to take advantage of the extra pixels on your TV. I think 1440p with HDR will be the real target, IMO.

Ultimately if none of this is appealing to you, 4k BluRay is around the corner. The discs and players boast 100mbps bitrate (double of standard BR) so they're good to go for 4k with HDR at 60fps.

Last edited:
I have an HU8550 as well. I'm gonna buy the evolution kit for it soon.. as you're probably aware, you can't get 4k on youtube right now without an evo kit. The codec support wasn't there when the TV was originally designed. The kit also adds full HDR capability and by all accounts is well worth the money.

NCIX carries the 3500 evo kit, but it's always backordered. I'll probably bite on it soon if I can find one.

Back
Top Bottom