Is this a crush washer? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is this a crush washer?

I guess this is all for naught as I stripped the drain plug threads while "removing" the plug to drain the oil. Super. The old crush washer is pristine, though

Bummer. How did you strip the plug during removal? I've only ever heard of stripping the plug from over tightening.

For what it's worth, those crush washers can last a very long time. I used the original washer that came with my bike for about 8-9 years before it started to slowly leak. Then I bought a new one with the intent to reuse it, but after the second oil change it started to leak. Now I change it every time just in case.

Like Johnny said – the rounded side touching the pan.

I mean that I had a major brain fart and started the ratchet in the wrong direction. The crush washer didn't crush... though I can kinda see why, it looks like the threads only went 2mm deep. I'm no engineer, but that seems kinda silly to me? Especially considering the opening seems to extend into the oil pan at least another centimetre.

Oh well, GS500 oil pans are cheap to come by

Make sure you use a torque wrench always on your drain plug bolt or you end up with the above post, you can put more torque on a 3/8 ratchet than most would think.

Make sure you use a torque wrench always on your drain plug bolt or you end up with the above post, you can put more torque on a 3/8 ratchet than most would think.
Once you use a torque wrench enough you know how much to tighten by. Not much torque is actually needed. However if you have no clue what those torque values feel like, buy the wrench

Once you use a torque wrench enough you know how much to tighten by. Not much torque is actually needed. However if you have no clue what those torque values feel like, buy the wrench

I've been using a standard wrench for 11 years without issue, you really do have to apply excessive force to strip a drain plug bolt.

With that said, I bought a torque wrench for my other new bike this year, and am now using it for both. Even though I've been fine so far, I do like knowing it's done exactly to spec. Trying to tighten two different drain bolts with very different specs is just too risky without a torque wrench.

Filters on the other hand, always by hand.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom