Is this a crush washer? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is this a crush washer?

TwistedKestrel

King of GTAM
Site Supporter
Went to the dealer yesterday to get a filter and a drain plug crush washer. Didn't look too closely at what they gave me until I got home... it's not what I've received from a different Suzuki dealer before, or for any bike for that matter. Maybe it's normal though? The guy behind the parts counter seemed trustworthy.

(No, the washer didn't come on a card, that's just the back of the oil filter)

pM1hMHc.jpg

It crushes. (I was confused as well when I bought a handful of them for the ol' FJ.)

drainplugwasher.jpg

Would love to know what you were getting from other sources mentioned. :)

That is a genuine SUZUKI crush washer, if someone else gave you something different in the past they most likely just gave you a aluminum crush washer in the right inner diameter

They work just the same but are not genuine Suzuki like what you have now

Always use a new one of those, you can get away with re using plain aluminum or copper, but I find you really need to use a new one if your using the style you have. Those are very easy to strip the threads in your oil pan if you re use them

Would love to know what you were getting from other sources mentioned. :)

Every other time I've asked for a crush washer, I got a plain soft aluminum disc with a hole in it

That is a genuine SUZUKI crush washer, if someone else gave you something different in the past they most likely just gave you a aluminum crush washer in the right inner diameter

They work just the same but are not genuine Suzuki like what you have now

Thanks Johnny, that covers all scenarios

Have fun taking that off. I still can't do it without help lol

油井緋色;2361365 said:
Have fun taking that off. I still can't do it without help lol

I put the crush washer in a vise, so the vise jaws are just grabbing the edges of the washer, lighty clamp it. And then just un thread the bolt out of the washer

If you dont have a vise you can use a good set of pliers or vise grips to grab the edges of the washer, but a vise is easier to handle it

I put the crush washer in a vise, so the vise jaws are just grabbing the edges of the washer, lighty clamp it. And then just un thread the bolt out of the washer

If you dont have a vise you can use a good set of pliers or vise grips to grab the edges of the washer, but a vise is easier to handle it

What do you use to grab the washer in order to unthread it on the vise?

油井緋色;2361369 said:

He's crushing the washer from the sides with the teeth of the vise

油井緋色;2361369 said:

I grab the washer in the vise by the edges, and use a socket to turn the drain bolt out of the washer. When you have the washer lightly clamped in the vise, the drain bolt comes out just like un threading a bolt out of a nut

I grab the washer in the vise by the edges, and use a socket to turn the drain bolt out of the washer. When you have the washer lightly clamped in the vise, the drain bolt comes out just like un threading a bolt out of a nut

oh...damn, I will try that later! Thank you.

油井緋色;2361378 said:
oh...damn, I will try that later! Thank you.

I dont have a Suzuki drain bolt/washer handy, but here is a regular one just to help explain what I do

I used pliers here, but same idea in a vise, either way you need a good quality vise or plier with good teeth. If you have a huge vise with very large teeth on the jaws it will not work.

For me with these pliers it works every time, once in a while it may need a little prying with a small flat blade screw driver to get it off the bolt head a little to get it clamped enough..
IMG_2913_zpslmxwgvrl.jpg

Also just a heads up those usually have a sharp side and a rounded side, I always install the rounded side facing the pan, and the sharp side facing the drain bolt head
With a soft crush washer this will work fine. It is considered good practice, in critical areas, to place the rounded side towards the bolt head in a situation where a steel washer is used as part of a normal fastening to protect the bolt head from possible cracking stresses.

So to recap, you hold the crush washer in a clamping device and then unthread the drain bolt as if it were coming out of a nut? Interesting.

So to recap, you hold the crush washer in a clamping device and then unthread the drain bolt as if it were coming out of a nut? Interesting.
Make sure you take an advil for those fingers too

I guess this is all for naught as I stripped the drain plug threads while "removing" the plug to drain the oil. Super. The old crush washer is pristine, though

Back
Top Bottom