Looking to Rent/Loan a Motorcycle | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking to Rent/Loan a Motorcycle

Illegal for an individual to rent to you without the proper insurance. Unlikely someone will lend to you since any claims would go on their record. But plenty of people break both those rules, I think.

Edit: Just saw the post about GTAExotics. Didn't know there was a fairly affordable place to get them now. Last I saw it was way expensive and was only supersports.

I just read over my shiny new policy and I'm covered if I lend the bike to a licensed person and they have a crash. If I take money for it my policy is void.

I just read over my shiny new policy and I'm covered if I lend the bike to a licensed person and they have a crash. If I take money for it my policy is void.
Yes you can lend but not charge but keep in mind any claim resulting from the person you lent it to goes on your record. Not worth it to me otherwise I'd always be lending out my cars. I don't even like letting other people drive my cars when it's to make things more convenient for myself.

Yes you can lend but not charge but keep in mind any claim resulting from the person you lent it to goes on your record. Not worth it to me otherwise I'd always be lending out my cars. I don't even like letting other people drive my cars when it's to make things more convenient for myself.

Ditto. There is an added risk in that the person borrowing is quite likely less familiar with the vehicle. IIRC claims stay on your record for 6-7 years. One crash oopsie could cost you the price of a decent bike over the stretch.

Also our diminished medical coverage comes up. The typical $50K limit on rehab can get used up fast. If the borrower decides to sue you because you failed to advise them of some hidden characteristic etc it could get pricey.

I wonder what constitutes payment. What if you let a someone use your bike and he lets you use his boat, cottage, time share etc? Maybe someone buys you a nice gift and you let him ride your bike???

Do cottagers that rent out the shack for a few weeks a year declare it?

Somewhere it has to equate money and benefit.

Reviving this thread as I'm contemplating letting a friend ride one of my bikes. No money will change hands.

Bike owner responsible for $3.4 million in medical bills but keeps the $4000 for the bike.

Couldn't you negate this by requiring the rider have their own insurance policy with an adequate third-party liability coverage (>$1M)?

The owner should really only be responsible for the damage to the vehicle, not outcomes that occur as a result of the rider's actions. Not saying that is how it is, but that's how it should be :)

Insurance follows the vehicle, not the operator.

Girlfriend wrote off my SUV, my insurance took the hit. I was 0% responsible, 100% liable

Insurance follows the vehicle, not the operator.

I get that, but does that apply to damage/injury to a third party as well? It makes sense that the vehicle owner's insurance would be responsible for paying for damage to the vehicle.

The third party should be coming after the driver/rider first for damages, if they are not properly insured or don't have the resources then I can see them coming after the vehicle owner.

That's just not the way it works in Ontario. As meme said, all the insurance coverage follows the bike, including damage/injury to a third party.

You can lend your bike to a friend, and many people do it often, but just be aware of the fact that your insurance covers them while they are on your bike... and vice versa, if you were to borrow your friends bike.

That's pretty ******. I wonder if there is some sort of rider (the insurance kind, not the human kind) you could purchase for your policy to allow you to loan your bike on occasion without having their crash affect your record. Maybe the insurance co would need to see proof of their driving record etc. Probably not possible, but one can dream.

Our insurance system is so inflexible and antiquated. We almost need to scrap it and start anew, but the entrenched interests would never allow that.

I've tried getting insurance on a friend bike... But my insurance company told me that they won't insure me independently on someone else's bike.... Id have to purchase the bike or become a secondary rider under his policy

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Do you know of another place that has such an insurance system?

LOL, no not specifically. There does seem to be more flexibility in other jurisdictions (I can't name any off the top of my head) especially in recent years to make it easier for different ownership/use models (peer to peer car sharing for example). Our system of insurance makes anything like that next to impossible.

Edit: OK found some info

Three states in the U.S. — California, Oregon and Washington — have passed new legislation to deal with p2p car sharing. California’s Bill AB 1871, introduced in January 2011, establishes that personal car sharing is not defined as commercial usage of a car and prohibits insurance companies from cancelling insurance. Similar legislation became effective in Oregon in June 2011 and Washington State in April 2012

http://www.canadianunderwriter.ca/news/driving-change/1001961438/?&er=NA

Last edited:
Interesting - I wonder if that would be limited to family members or something else. And I wonder if the insurance premiums are shared among the sharing parties or other things they do to set that up. Maybe start a thread in the insurance section on here and some of the underwriters and brokers can chime in.

Back
Top Bottom