Track lessons - Who does everyone recommend? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Track lessons - Who does everyone recommend?

Someone mentioned a while back that Racer5 will teach you a little more about actual racing than FAST. Do you find this to be true?
Both organizations will look at your current skills level and determine what is missing. You don't really teach or learn racing, you learn proper lines and control. Your ability to succeed at in racing is a function of these 2 skills.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

The best way to learn how to race is to race. I think that racer5 does a race between the students at the end.

Personally I'd be looking for lessons on technique first before race craft and I believe either school will get you that. I've only done fast phase 2 and I was impressed with their teching and lessons even though it wasn't at the level I was looking for.

Both organizations will look at your current skills level and determine what is missing. You don't really teach or learn racing, you learn proper lines and control. Your ability to succeed at in racing is a function of these 2 skills.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Alright, thanks to both of you for the info. I took FAST 1 and 2, that means I am ready.

What are your thought on track courses in general? are they worth it? would the $1000+ dollars be better spent on tires and track days?

What are your thought on track courses in general? are they worth it? would the $1000+ dollars be better spent on tires and track days?

There is no single answer for that. Some riders don't need a track school at all, others should not be on a track without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I could find a school for $1000 up here that gave me what I was looking for I'd gladly pay it. I haven't technically taken a school other then my race liscence and observing the FAST course. Some people need/want the guidance and some don't. It came fairly naturally to me so I just did track days but I took them seriously not as a social gathering to "race" my buddies or practice wheelies. If thinking about riding on the track your first time is somthing that gives you anxiety or stress I would take an intro course to get your nerves calmed. If you're completely comfortable and have the ability to control yourself/bike in a manor that isn't going to endanger other riders then give it a go first and see what you feel is the next step for you.

I should add that most people will benefit from having some instruction before their first track day. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

It depends a lot on the instructor that you happen to get. I did my first track day after a 25yr lay off with pro 6 at Calabogie and my instructor was very good. My next track day was at Graten and their novice program was excellent. I think most of the groups are running a pretty good program by the looks of it.

Taught for Moto Canada, FAST,was Chief Instructor for Turn 2, and also taught Racer 5, it does not matter who or what track/class you do. Leave your ego/attitude and all your street riding crap at the gate.
The bottom line is this, if you do not listen and slow down to speed up you are wasting your money. So many "Guys" come to a school ready to kick some ***. And you know, your instructor has been there done that. The school is not taking you to being fast, they are giving you the tools to go fast. You can leave with a tool box you use or never open. Girls,, take a class of ladies any day of the week. Cause,,,they listen way better on average. So guys,, here's what I always said." Give me one good session perfect at a slower pace then one hail marry lap all reckless and abandoned speed" To go fast you first must slow down. Get humble and you will learn.

Taught for Moto Canada, FAST,was Chief Instructor for Turn 2, and also taught Racer 5, it does not matter who or what track/class you do. Leave your ego/attitude and all your street riding crap at the gate.
The bottom line is this, if you do not listen and slow down to speed up you are wasting your money. So many "Guys" come to a school ready to kick some ***. And you know, your instructor has been there done that. The school is not taking you to being fast, they are giving you the tools to go fast. You can leave with a tool box you use or never open. Girls,, take a class of ladies any day of the week. Cause,,,they listen way better on average. So guys,, here's what I always said." Give me one good session perfect at a slower pace then one hail marry lap all reckless and abandoned speed" To go fast you first must slow down. Get humble and you will learn.

This post alone makes me want to take a school now.

I wish Racer5 would have used ninja250 instead of cbr125.

This post alone makes me want to take a school now.

I wish Racer5 would have used ninja250 instead of cbr125.

The CBR125 is the best learning tool for a race track currently available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you can hire a private coach at pro6 days. as bickle said slowish first. i learned alot from tagging on to a 650 single vintage when i was first trying to get around bogie.

I took FAST and Racer5 10 years later. The slower pace of the CBR125's in the Racer5 program allowed me to focus way more on my body positioning and the proper lines on the track then the bigger bikes did. First track day out on my 600 and I was remarkably faster due to carrying way more speed int the corners.

A 250 can be quite fast on small tracks like GB (where Racer 5 does their instruction) I raced there on a 250 and there are no corners where you go full on gas, a 125 is plenty fast for learning. You are learning body position, lines, braking and getting on the gas among many other things, none of those can be learned better on a 250 than on a 125.

Someone mentioned a while back that Racer5 will teach you a little more about actual racing than FAST. Do you find this to be true?

The best way to learn how to race is to race. I think that racer5 does a race between the students at the end.

Thanks for all the kind words guys!
We haven't run the format where there was a Racer5 SOAR race as part of the introductory course for a number of years now.
We took out the race out of the intro program so that we could lower the price for students while giving them much more tracktime to build there skills on.
We do cover safe passing techniques and passing lines in the intro course but that is about the extent of racecraft we teach in the course.
The 3 day intro programs main focus is giving you a very sound foundation on which to build your rider development on, this is crucial in both street riding as well as track/racing.

We do have race programs where students have graduated can compete in our endurance racing programs and well as trackdays, all of which can be done on our equipment if you are a stage3 graduate.

We also have our stage 5 advanced course that will teach you race craft if you are ready for it.
We suggest this is something you let us know you want to focus on when you sign up so that we can ensure your instructor is aware of this and can tailor his/her teaching plan around this. That is the benefit of the Stage 5 2 students per instructor format. It allows us to have a lesson tailored for the student, which is what is needed at that level of riding.

Back
Top Bottom