Track lessons - Who does everyone recommend? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Track lessons - Who does everyone recommend?

cbowman78

Im definitely committing to taking some track courses next year. Who and why do you recommend one over the other? I want to insure I am getting the best instruction, from the best instructors.

Thanks, in advance!!

Racer 5 for sure. You'll get the most track time out of all the schools here in Ontario.

Im definitely committing to taking some track courses next year. Who and why do you recommend one over the other? I want to insure I am getting the best instruction, from the best instructors.

Thanks, in advance!!
More detail about riding experience would help us give you better suggestions. What are your goals? Speed? Body positioning? Knee down on corners? Racing? Drafting?

I took FAST riding school Phase 1 and 2 and will go back next year for Phase 3. Racer 5 is a good course too from what I hear if you're okay with riding CBR125'S.

More detail about riding experience would help us give you better suggestions. What are your goals? Speed? Body positioning? Knee down on corners? Racing? Drafting?

I took FAST riding school Phase 1 and 2 and will go back next year for Phase 3. Racer 5 is a good course too from what I hear if you're okay with riding CBR125'S.

Thanks everyone. Body positioning and overall riding skills is what I am after. Im assuming with this I will get faster through the corners, etc. I have never been on a track, and this I am hoping will open my eyes and prepare for track days. I have been riding a 600, on the road for five years now.

I took racer5 a few years ago, lots of fun and I'd recommend the program to anyone, smile on your face the whole time your at the course and awesome people too help you with what you wanna learn and improve on.

I did Racer5 this summer and loved it! Good instruction and learned a lot. Unfortunately it rained on day 3 so we couldn't push/build on what we learned on day 1 and 2 BUT we were taking corners faster than I have ever done on the street on a wet track. Learned a ton doing that and left with a far better understanding of how to properly ride in the rain.

The CBR 125s are a blast to learn track riding on too! It's all about corner speed not how fast you can blast down the straights.

i would save my money and buy a cheap track day bike/leathers etc before spending money on a school. there are many good riders who would help you out with pointers/advice at a TD. save your money to go all in.

Or you could save your money and try the school where they provide bike/leathers before spending money on a track bike/race gear..all a matter of preference really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i would save my money and buy a cheap track day bike/leathers etc before spending money on a school. there are many good riders who would help you out with pointers/advice at a TD. save your money to go all in.
That's a big financial commitment for people who may not be sure if they will even like riding at the track. For you it may work, I did the same but it's risky.

That's a big financial commitment for people who may not be sure if they will even like riding at the track. For you it may work, I did the same but it's risky.

the poster did mention "going all in". the most difficult part is being mentally prepared. go in thinking "i just wont push or try too hard, my main goal is to ride without riding hard", leave the ego at home and you'll be ok. and you'll learn more. if you go in thinking "ill be fast" you'll fock up- because riding on the track is nothing like street riding. at the beginning you won't be able to ride worth beans- realize and accept that. it really depends on your mentality a lot. be smart, go easy. the speed will come later...just get comfortable at your first few TD's. this is easier said than done.

schools are expensive and track time is really limited. for someone who is mentally prepared, spending your money on a track bike and gear would be the way to go. but this is only my opinion.

EDIT: poster did not say "going all in" ... my mistake. he actually said "committed to taking courses..." whoops...i think it is worth mentioning i did fast 1, 2 and 3. i still feel it would have been better to buy a cheap 250/500 for the price of the 3 courses. funny, i never did a TD before my first race weekend?! i did take a thurs RACE school to get my licence and more track time, followed by a friday practice, which to me was like two TD's.

Last edited:
The last thing I would recommend is taking pointers/advice at trackdays. Everyone and their brother seems to want to give advice at your average trackday and half of it is just plain wrong.

Take a track school. FAST and Racer5 are both good schools.

The last thing I would recommend is taking pointers/advice at trackdays. Everyone and their brother seems to want to give advice at your average trackday and half of it is just plain wrong.

Probably similar to the bro parade at the gym doling out advice.

I've done both racer5 and FAST. Both are excellent and you won't go wrong either way. Racer5 was priced a little better, closer (to K/W) and you get a bit more track time. I had Andrew Nelson as an instructor at FAST who was very good. Michel taught a great course, but I felt it was a wee disorganized getting everyone on track, and the sessions were a bit too short.

I've done both racer5 and FAST. Both are excellent and you won't go wrong either way. Racer5 was priced a little better, closer (to K/W) and you get a bit more track time. I had Andrew Nelson as an instructor at FAST who was very good. Michel taught a great course, but I felt it was a wee disorganized getting everyone on track, and the sessions were a bit too short.
Someone mentioned a while back that Racer5 will teach you a little more about actual racing than FAST. Do you find this to be true?

For your entertainment, here is a picture my wife got of a guy on a R6 offroading right in front of me at FAST, he saved it. He went too wide and must have chopped the throttle to go that far inside like that.

21b01399f7c44a20a8ec27b110a8d344.jpg

Someone mentioned a while back that Racer5 will teach you a little more about actual racing than FAST. Do you find this to be true?

The best way to learn how to race is to race. I think that racer5 does a race between the students at the end.

Personally I'd be looking for lessons on technique first before race craft and I believe either school will get you that. I've only done fast phase 2 and I was impressed with their teching and lessons even though it wasn't at the level I was looking for.

Back
Top Bottom