Drivers who hog middle lane are the real problem | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Drivers who hog middle lane are the real problem

It is not possible to use the right hand lane consistently on Ontario highways. There are merges every kilometer on the 401 on average with tons of cars spilling onto the highway at each ramp. You have to move out of their way or slow down or the idiots will hit you. Add to that the inconsistent way the right lanes are designed, either forcing drivers to the off-ramp or outright disappearing the result is chaos. Ontario's highway design standards are the pits.
Very valid points.

It is not possible to use the right hand lane consistently on Ontario highways. There are merges every kilometer on the 401 on average with tons of cars spilling onto the highway at each ramp. You have to move out of their way or slow down or the idiots will hit you.

If people learned how to freakin' merge properly this wouldn't be such an issue, but I loose track everytime I drive across Toronto how many IDIOTS putter down an onramp, seemingly terrified (or more likely too stupid) to accelerate and match the flow of traffic. Down the onramp they bumble until they realize they're running out of realestate and then they merge onto the highway at a ridiculously low speed, cause traffic chaos, and only then (if you're lucky) start to accelerate.

Extra arsebag points for the ones who them immediately fly across all lanes into the fast lane and plant themselves there at 95K while people loose their minds behind them.

It is not possible to use the right hand lane consistently on Ontario highways. There are merges every kilometer on the 401 on average with tons of cars spilling onto the highway at each ramp. You have to move out of their way or slow down or the idiots will hit you. Add to that the inconsistent way the right lanes are designed, either forcing drivers to the off-ramp or outright disappearing the result is chaos. Ontario's highway design standards are the pits.

I'll disagree with this. I always set my cruise at a true (gps backed up) 100km/h and sit in the right hand lane. The vast majority of time I never have to speed up or slow down.

Cars can be equipped with lane departure warnings, vehicle proximity warnings etc. Why not "There's nothing in front of you so move over" warnings.

Cars can be equipped with lane departure warnings, vehicle proximity warnings etc. Why not "There's nothing in front of you so move over" warnings.
Slap a "hey, don't forget your signal alarm" too for those who feel the need to move over without letting anyone else on the road

This grinds my gears more than anything else on the road. The same people would never do that to the line at the grocery store or beer store.
Yes they would. A Dbag is a Dbag in any situation. One time had a crying baby in the cart, other kid in tow and a guy makes a dash to get in front of me at the cash with a full buggy. Pretty sure he loaded it up into his beemer or audi.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

I've had a similar thought ... a "speed up or move over" alarm.

When it gets to the point that those sorts of alerts are needed...arguably, the person behind the wheel is too dumb to be there in the first place.

Driverless cars will solve a lot of these issues with both stupidity, and traffic.

I agree. As a heavy truck driver I see this every day.
I too am a heavy truck driver. Well, it's an suv, but I am heavy.
I see semis that clog up all three lanes and I see cages and bikes that cut in front of semis approaching a red light (really stupid, btw).
It seems that I am the only one on the road that knows how to drive. And I suck.
If you're going faster than I am, and I see you in my rear view, I move over. If I'm chilling, or in the bike, I'm in the right lane.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Yep, if I'm in thick traffic on an unfamiliar stretch of road, I hesitate to take the outside lane because of concern that the lane may come to an abrupt end.

Awesome! So youre the retard that the trucks doing 105 have to go into right lane for and crawl around causing massing congestion!!

The clueless drivers someone mentioned? Thats you. We all have to share the road, becoming the slowest vehicle on the highway is as selfish as the guy slalloming through traffic at 140km/h.

Dont have to speed up or slow down. Gee i wonder why that is. Hey maybe if you set it to 90, you can really make sure you never have to slow down for other vehicles? Bonus! Then you can really veg out.

I'll disagree with this. I always set my cruise at a true (gps backed up) 100km/h and sit in the right hand lane. The vast majority of time I never have to speed up or slow down.

Awesome! So youre the retard that the trucks doing 105 have to go into right lane for and crawl around causing massing congestion!! .

Sorry. I don't understand. I'm already in the right hand lane. Why would they come into my lane to pass me?

The clueless drivers someone mentioned? Thats you. We all have to share the road, becoming the slowest vehicle on the highway is as selfish as the guy slalloming through traffic at 140km/h. .

Interesting. I guess I never realized that I need to break the law to share the road. Shall I stop using my signals too? If everyone used proper lane discipline there would be no need to slalom down the highway. Stay right except to pass goes for EVERY lane.

Dont have to speed up or slow down. Gee i wonder why that is. Hey maybe if you set it to 90, you can really make sure you never have to slow down for other vehicles? Bonus! Then you can really veg out.

Perhaps I should do 90 when I'm towing my trailer. I'm pretty sure that's what trailer tires are rated for.

My apologies that you can't leave a little earlier and need to rush everywhere. I'll try to drive erratically now because I guess that's what everyone expects. Someone following laws and driving predictably seem to cause the problems in your world.

Awesome! So youre the retard that the trucks doing 105 have to go into right lane for and crawl around causing massing congestion!! The clueless drivers someone mentioned? Thats you. We all have to share the road, becoming the slowest vehicle on the highway is as selfish as the guy slalloming through traffic at 140km/h. Dont have to speed up or slow down. Gee i wonder why that is. Hey maybe if you set it to 90, you can really make sure you never have to slow down for other vehicles? Bonus! Then you can really veg out.
There's nothing wrong with doing a predictable and consistent 100 in the right hand lane. That's what the slow lane is for. It's the ones that drive erratically and all over the place, that I worry more about.

When trucks have to go in the fast lane to pass you, it becomes dangerous. You think you doing 105 will get cops salivating as everyone else blasts by you?

Flow with the traffic. If trucks are passing you, speed up by 5km/h....Be considerate instead of "Ho hum, i'm not gonna break the law!"

I do 110km/h, middle lane or right lane. I'm hardly ever in a hurry as i dont commute, nor do i have to be at a certain place at XX. If i do have a set time to be somewhere for work, i leave early as i get paid the second i'm behind the windshield.

I dont have to be the fastest guy on the road to spot a problem. You've ALL seen it. All of a sudden brake lights, people are braking, tailgating, irritated drivers swerving to see whats the problem. Ah there it is. A semi is trying to pass another semi going 1km/h faster. Or a semi is going around a self-righteous weenie doing a rock solid and not a spec faster than 100km/h. Why? Unless you get joy from impeding others...

Most of this was not meant for you Baggsy but for Robp. I dont know how me telling you to flow with the traffic in the right lane (hint, it doesnt go at 100km/h no matter how much your delusional mind wants it to) gets interpreted as "driving erratically". You're a real winner!

There's nothing wrong with doing a predictable and consistent 100 in the right hand lane. That's what the slow lane is for. It's the ones that drive erratically and all over the place, that I worry more about.

When trucks have to go in the fast lane to pass you, it becomes dangerous. You think you doing 105 will get cops salivating as everyone else blasts by you? Flow with the traffic. If trucks are passing you, speed up by 5km/h....Be considerate instead of "Ho hum, i'm not gonna break the law!" I do 110km/h, middle lane or right lane. I'm hardly ever in a hurry as i dont commute, nor do i have to be at a certain place at XX. If i do have a set time to be somewhere for work, i leave early as i get paid the second i'm behind the windshield. I dont have to be the fastest guy on the road to spot a problem. You've ALL seen it. All of a sudden brake lights, people are braking, tailgating, irritated drivers swerving to see whats the problem. Ah there it is. A semi is trying to pass another semi going 1km/h faster. Or a semi is going around a self-righteous weenie doing a rock solid and not a spec faster than 100km/h. Why? Unless you get joy from impeding others... Most of this was not meant for you Baggsy but for Robp. I dont know how me telling you to flow with the traffic in the right lane (hint, it doesnt go at 100km/h no matter how much your delusional mind wants it to) gets interpreted as "driving erratically". You're a real winner!
An interesting perspective. How do you see yourself as different from the guy doing 100? What do you do when the flow is at 120? 130? 140? 150? 160? 90? 80? ... 0?

p.s. Do you see the irony in what you are saying?

Last edited:
Should ALL trucks be doing 105? What about all those other trucks that do 100, or even 90? Are they all part of the problem like you're saying I am? If so, that's a lot of trucks that are part of your problem.

God you guys are dense. Trucks have no option but to do 105. You dont know trucks if you think theres a single one who wants to do 100. They all put the pedal to the floor and keep it there. A semi who cannot maintain his speed is forced to slow down via physics, he does not choose to be the slowest vehicle on the road. Hard for me to berate him due to his inability vs choice.

All im saying is, if youre being passed by the trucks, be courteous and speed up a few more km and cruise with them.

im not even gonna respond to the idea that the right lane is ever going to flow at 140km/h because of how idiotic that statement sounds to begin with.

Gentlemen, this is the same mentality that causes the left lane guys doing 100. "Im not braking the law, go around me if you wanna pass".

I'll start yelling at all those trucks I pass while going 100 on a long straight flat stretch because they're part of the problem as well I guess.

Back
Top Bottom