Parking ticket question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Parking ticket question

Minardi

Hey everyone,

I just had a small question - I got a parking ticket today, and I am not exactly sure how should I respond to it. I parked at the green parking zone in downtown Toronto, just at the spot where the parking zone starts, the sort of a concave indentation. I parked there before, once in full view of the parking enforcement officers, and they never gave me a ticket. I can sort of see why they would see that as a parking violation, but all I wanted to do was not to take up extra space so that you could park an extra car further up in front.
This time was different for some reason, and I am not sure if I should try and fight it or not (the infraction that was on the ticket is "STOP - SIGNED HIGHWAY - DURING PROHIBITED (TIME/DAY).
The other big thing that I was wondering about is that they got my licence plate number wrong (they mistook a number for a letter somehow), so I don't even know if this ticket got properly assigned to my bike and my plate.
What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Probably the regular guy was on vacation, or vice versa. You're not allowed to be parked even an inch beyond the signs. The indent is to allow vehicles to get in and out of spots.

Don't ever hire THEPARKINGTICKETGUYS. Bunch of crooks.

That is true, I can certainly see how that is a violation, but yeah, I suppose I'll just let it sit for a while, see what comes out of it, with the licence plate number and whatnot it might be my lucky day.
I don't have any other parking tickets and the fine isn't too high so either way it won't be a big deal, I don't think. Thanks guys, and thanks for the heads up, slowbird!

Would you say that would make a difference if I choose to address it by simply paying the ticket?
I'm pretty sure nobody else would have the plate that the parking enforcer wrote down.

If it's not your plate it's not your ticket. If you really want to pay tickets, I'll give you mine.....when I get any.

Have to agree, unless the VIN is marked on there somewhere (it's not), that ticket legally doesn't belong to you - the ONLY thing that ties it to your bike is the plate number, and since that's wrong, it's not your ticket. Take it to the office listed on the back and say, more or less.. "I found this on my motorcycle, it's not my plate number, if there's something on my drivers licence with regards to this I'd like it removed" and pursue it from that perspective. It's up to them to try to make it stick, but wrong plate number written on any ticket is a big mistake and they'll probably toss the ticket on the spot.

If the plate was entered incorrectly, that is a fatal error on the ticket.
When you go to the location printed on the back of the ticket, bring your ownership with you to prove it.
While it's not your duty to deal with a tag with an error, someone else may have that licence number so do them a favour so they don't get a notice to come to court.
Comes under the general heading of Karma.
You did not mention the time or location where you got the tag. As it was for No Stopping, were you parked in a Rush Hour Route and stayed past 4 PM (3:30 downtown)?
If this is the case, everyone parked there would have gotten a ticket.

Yeah, that's basically my only concern, that someone actually owns that plate. I'll go down and check it out when I'm a bit less busy.
No, it was during the regular hours, but just as Baggsy said, this was just me parked a bit beyond the sign zone. I got away with this numerous times before in that particular spot - there aren't many cars parked there at any time, I've never seen it full, and the parking enforcement officers that I've seen there before were more than happy to ignore it because I guess they reasoned that I only parked where I parked as to not take up extra space that can be used by someone with a car.
Thanks for the advice guys!

So I actually managed to dart to the place during my lunch break and, confusingly, the ticket had been cancelled sometime between November the 2nd, when I got it, and today, so it's all void.
According to them nobody else had the licence plate that was on the ticket.
A lucky day after all.
Thanks again, guys!

probably canceled when it was input into the system and didn't show up as valid.

Exactly, they cancelled it as they had no info on who to send the paperwork too as it was an invalid plate. Kudos to the OP for taking the time to ensure no one else got "stuck" with it

Back
Top Bottom