Helmet made in 2011? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helmet made in 2011?

WantToBike

Hello everyone, i just got my bike helmet in the mail and the date says manufactured in 2011.
Should i return it? Is it to old, or does it not matter unless you use it for 5 years ish?

thanks !

You will get two stories : the first is that it is 5 years from date of manufacture, because the plastic breaks down etc. similar to a child seat. The second will be that the sweat from the helmet gets into the foam decreasing it's effectiveness iirc. I'm personally of the opinion that a helmet is good for 10 years, worn or not. But again, just my opinion. I would, however, hope that you received a MAJOR discount for clearing out their old stock. 60 - 75% range off msrp imo. If not, I would be inclined to ask for a credit, or if you're not comfortable with the helmet ask for a newer replacement or a refund.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

As Bass said I hope you got a huge discount on the lid given it's age.

I could see a helmet being 1 or 2 years old maximum, but if i'm spending my money I expect it to be new. Did you buy it from some ebay seller or a more reputable online retailer? If it was me, I'd return it for a refund (if they'll give you one).

2011 is basically getting into dead stock rabge for helmets. Unless you got a huge discount on it, I would ask for a return.

How can plastic helmet go bad? Its not made of tofu, is it ? Just like the child seats.
All it is just marketing ploy to keep consumers buying shaite they don't need.

I use helmets older than 2011, ride on.

I use helmets older than 2011, ride on.
Not the issue, really. It's being sold a helmet in 2015 made in 2011. Haven't heard back from op if it was on closeout yet.

Not the issue, really. It's being sold a helmet in 2015 made in 2011. Haven't heard back from op if it was on closeout yet.

SO what is the issue? I bought an Arai last year from 2010.

SO what is the issue? I bought an Arai last year from 2010.
Did you pay full retail? I would expect 5 year old stock to be discounted. As I stated earlier, however, I would not be dissuaded about the safety aspect of it. Again, just my opinion. But then again, I wouldn't pay full price for one made last week either!

Helmets (and car baby seats) are affected by a lot of outside conditions. Does fiberglass breakdown? yes, but nobody knows when. Cars from the 60's are not falling apart. Do nylon and Dacron liners come apart from hair chemicals and sweat, yes but they all take different time frames, do plastics that are in the sun all day breakdown? yes, but in what time frame.
It usually comes down to the lowest common denominator, the plastic clip that straps it on your head, staying attached to your head is important.

4-5yrs old stored in a box at the store? probably hasn't changed at all, sitting in the window on display, that could be different.

Fwiw, my street helmets, which I plan on never testing are various ages, my sporting helmets which probably will be tested at some point are never over 5yrs. personal comfort level, I have no data to support my thoughts.

Did you pay full retail? I would expect 5 year old stock to be discounted. As I stated earlier, however, I would not be dissuaded about the safety aspect of it. Again, just my opinion. But then again, I wouldn't pay full price for one made last week either!

I never pay full retail, there are some advantages of been sponsored by someone with a shop :) but at the same time I offer a lot of my free time to help said sponsor so if time is money, I guess I do pay somewhere close to full retail

I never pay full retail, there are some advantages of been sponsored by someone with a shop :) but at the same time I offer a lot of my free time to help said sponsor so if time is money, I guess I do pay somewhere close to full retail
As it should be. Give and take.

Back
Top Bottom