Opinion on Honda CBR 500R or 650F | GTAMotorcycle.com

Opinion on Honda CBR 500R or 650F

Which one is better?

• Total voters

2wzilla

So as one of my previous posts I'm looking into a future bike once I achieve few things:

1 - Get my G2
2 - Get my M ( in 2017 )
3 - Wait till i'm 25 ( in 2018 )

As my older thread talks about few choices I have chosen to get ones I get my full M, reach age of 25 and payoff my 250R. The options from previous were Yamaha R6, Honda CBR600RR and Honda VFR800F. Somehow I forgot to add Honda CBR500R. Being honest I never took the 500R as a serious bike, mostly because it's 471cc parallel twin, however looking into few things Ninja 650 is also a parallel twin but with more kick since it is a 650 afterall. There is the Honda CBR650F with its 649cc inline-four. As some users on here suggested is to call my insurance and see what price gap there is between a handful of bikes in Sport and Sport Touring categories, before making any decisions as for the future. Both CBR's the 500R and 650F are stunning looking bikes, but the 500R takes the spotlight since it reminds me of the Fireblades, if you look at the 500R it's a miniature Fireblade.

VFR800 is also a very great bike, but it's price is bit steep costing as much as a cheap car so it will depend on how much I have available to spend and what the insurance will be like. I know it's very early to even wonder this since there is still 2-3 years and fair amount of stuff changes during that time, but I rather start planning now than later. Plus it's a good way to learn things. I know there are few VFR owners here and good amount of 600RR and R6 owners on here. But I'm looking for some feedback from 500R and 650F owners if any.

If you have either the CBR 500R or the CBR 650F I would highly appreciate your review of the bikes, there cons/pros. If you don't own this bikes but still know decent amount of information on them or could use existing manufacturer provided information to construct an opinion that will also be appreciated. I'm not looking for an overly crazy fast bike, just something sufficient for the city with decent looks to add and something that I could ride to Ottawa/Montreal without dying halfway from discomfort.

Big thanks in advance.

Link to older thread I was talking about before: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...bike-would-you-recommend-for-a-600-800cc-bike

What about the 500F?
its $3000 less than the 650F..... will most likely be cheaper on insurance.
its the same motor/trans etc as the 500R and has a more comfortable riding position that the 500R.

A friend bought a 500F this year and I have rode it a few times.... I can tell you its a very capable bike, fun to ride, comfortable ergos, easy to ride/confidence inspiring, decent amount of power, and great bang for the buck. I am not the biggest fan of naked style bikes but I think these look sharp.

Just a suggestion

What about the 500F?
its $3000 less than the 650F..... will most likely be cheaper on insurance.
its the same motor/trans etc as the 500R and has a more comfortable riding position that the 500R.

A friend bought a 500F this year and I have rode it a few times.... I can tell you its a very capable bike, fun to ride, comfortable ergos, easy to ride/confidence inspiring, decent amount of power, and great bang for the buck. I am not the biggest fan of naked style bikes but I think these look sharp.

Just a suggestion

I have watched couple of reviews on the 650F and 500R, actually there was a guy from Vaugh area test riding the 650F and said it's not a very major differences between his 500R. Thing is the 500F have not been touched by Honda, the 2016 500R looks more like the 1000RR. The passenger seat has been moved higher and the back seat cover lock is now located in same location as on the 600RR/1000RR. The front of the 500R is similar to the 1000RR inc. the way the windshield sits/mounted as compared to the 2015 model. Looking back on it, I did not like the 2015 model because of few little things, the 2016 however looks way better.

I'm not an overly crazy fan of the Naked bikes, mostly because the front light looks like crap on most of the naked bikes, I kind of would like a cruiser like front on a naked bike. You know something closer to way naked stunt bikes are. As for the 500F the 500X is even more comfortable, more upright and way more affordable on insurance. But I'm more of a Sport person.

I had a CBR500R prior to getting my Fazer 800. Before getting the 800 I test rode a 650F. This was over a year ago but my recollections were that the ergos on the 650F were pretty close to the 500R, the 650 being wider at the knees (I4 vs P2). It's a pretty basic bike in terms of suspension and brakes but both were better on the 650 than the 500; the 650 felt more stiffly sprung and damped to me. Surprisingly, the 500R's brakes felt better around town to me than the 650's -- mostly in terms of initial bite -- but the 650's felt better on the highway and I think would be better for heavy braking or for track days. But for in-city and commuting use both are good. Obviously, the 650 is quite a bit more powerful than the 500 but the 500 isn't left wanting for "normal" city and highway travel.

The 650 is definitely the "nicer" bike but it's not for everyone. It's going to get worse fuel economy. It's going to cost more OTD. It's going to cost more to insure. Its power output is not as beginner-friendly as the LAMS-approved 500 so it's not as safe a ride for those just starting out. If you're a complete noob or unsure then, of these two bikes, I'd go 500. If you're a competent rider with solid skills and maturity then the 650 would be worth a look if you can wing the other costs (i.e. insurance...)

Last edited:
Got a 500x. Love it.

Done a few days trips (1000km through the highlands, to montreal, then quebec and then back, niagara escarpment backroads, kawarthas etc) After 13k km this season with it being my 1st bike with 80-85% commuting and the rest, leisure riding, its the perfect bike for that kind of split in terms of power delivery, ease of use and insurance break.

Now for the ergonomy, it's slightly different than the 500r but i did get somewhat uncomfortable on some rides. I gotta say, if i spent maybe another 15m stretching it out at gas stops, i might've felt better... oh and on a bunch of those longer rides, i got stuck riding in rain...
It might be a very tame step up from the 250... but this is also a bike that a lot of veteran adventure riders are downgrading to, being tired of the big bulky heavy bikes and using this as a fun zippy and easy going bike.

I haven't tested the 650 so i can't really compare it... i guess i should've at that rock the red/ride with us event i'd attended the other year. Oh well.

I had a CBR500R prior to getting my Fazer 800. Before getting the 800 I test rode a 650F. This was over a year ago but my recollections were that the ergos on the 650F were pretty close to the 500R, the 650 being wider at the knees (I4 vs P2). It's a pretty basic bike in terms of suspension and brakes but both were better on the 650 than the 500; the 650 felt more stiffly sprung and damped to me. Surprisingly, the 500R's brakes felt better around town to me than the 650's -- mostly in terms of initial bite -- but the 650's felt better on the highway and I think would be better for heavy braking or for track days. But for in-city and commuting use both are good. Obviously, the 650 is quite a bit more powerful than the 500 but the 500 isn't left wanting for "normal" city and highway travel.

The 650 is definitely the "nicer" bike but it's not for everyone. It's going to get worse fuel economy. It's going to cost more OTD. It's going to cost more to insure. Its power output is not as beginner-friendly as the LAMS-approved 500 so it's not as safe a ride for those just starting out. If you're a complete noob or unsure then, of these two bikes, I'd go 500. If you're a competent rider with solid skills and maturity then the 650 would be worth a look if you can wing the other costs (i.e. insurance...)

My daily ride is CBR 250R, so I really don't get much braking then the CBR 500R would, well maybe a bit better as mine is ABS model by default for that 2013 year. Anyways, the 650F does score a larger rear tire (same as 600RR's tires) I did notice that big suspension spring when I was looking at it over at BPS showroom. But I don't know, the 500R isn't that bad of a bike either to be honest. At $7k before taxes it's pretty decent for the buck. As I mentioned it's still pretty early for me to even look for a new bike, the few beef's that I do have with the 650F is the uni-seat (not a fan), single headlight (not a fan) and the dashboard.

The 500R may lack in power over the 650F but it own's it in looks department and insurance :D. Plus since most of my riding is city 80% to 20% highway it should be a perfect bike. Travel wise I have went to Wasaga Beach on my 250R, sure it wasn't the most comfy ride since the 250R vibrates like crazy and eventually your arms go numb, but I made it with some stops at Tim's to rest and stretch. But since most of my travel is in city I think I should go for the lesser 500R. But hey, who knows what awaits for 2018. Honda may have better bikes and give more power to the 500R (doubt that) or Kawasaki's may get something nice.

Got a 500x. Love it.

Done a few days trips (1000km through the highlands, to montreal, then quebec and then back, niagara escarpment backroads, kawarthas etc) After 13k km this season with it being my 1st bike with 80-85% commuting and the rest, leisure riding, its the perfect bike for that kind of split in terms of power delivery, ease of use and insurance break.

Now for the ergonomy, it's slightly different than the 500r but i did get somewhat uncomfortable on some rides. I gotta say, if i spent maybe another 15m stretching it out at gas stops, i might've felt better... oh and on a bunch of those longer rides, i got stuck riding in rain...
It might be a very tame step up from the 250... but this is also a bike that a lot of veteran adventure riders are downgrading to, being tired of the big bulky heavy bikes and using this as a fun zippy and easy going bike.

I haven't tested the 650 so i can't really compare it... i guess i should've at that rock the red/ride with us event i'd attended the other year. Oh well.

Haha. I know you like that 500X I remember you mention it on the other post I made about 600cc-800cc 2nd bike. No doubt it's a very good bike, better than its 750 brother. I'm still trying to figure things out as a new rider. Good thing I started on a 50CC scooter and after 3 months went on a 250R, see I'm one of those retarded people who should start small.... If I had more power I would prob be dead by now, no joke there. So 500 is pretty much double of my 250 and hell, my 250 is fast enough as it is. Sure it's no match for the 600/1000+ but again I'm one of those people who has very hard time not revving the crap out of the bike. I did consider getting a cruizer like Yamaha Bolt or Honda Shadow, but there bit to heavy for my to handle :( so middleweight sportbikes it is.

Get the 500X if you like to ride gravel roads and forest trails too. If not get the 500R. The 650 vibrates too much from what I hear. If you need power, just get the 600.

My daily ride is CBR 250R, so I really don't get much braking then the CBR 500R would, well maybe a bit better as mine is ABS model by default for that 2013 year. Anyways, the 650F does score a larger rear tire (same as 600RR's tires) I did notice that big suspension spring when I was looking at it over at BPS showroom. But I don't know, the 500R isn't that bad of a bike either to be honest. At $7k before taxes it's pretty decent for the buck. As I mentioned it's still pretty early for me to even look for a new bike, the few beef's that I do have with the 650F is the uni-seat (not a fan), single headlight (not a fan) and the dashboard.

The 500R may lack in power over the 650F but it own's it in looks department and insurance :D. Plus since most of my riding is city 80% to 20% highway it should be a perfect bike. Travel wise I have went to Wasaga Beach on my 250R, sure it wasn't the most comfy ride since the 250R vibrates like crazy and eventually your arms go numb, but I made it with some stops at Tim's to rest and stretch. But since most of my travel is in city I think I should go for the lesser 500R. But hey, who knows what awaits for 2018. Honda may have better bikes and give more power to the 500R (doubt that) or Kawasaki's may get something nice.

There's really nothing wrong with any of those bikes -- the 250R, the 500R or the 650F.

So much is subjective: I much prefer the look of the 650F to the 500 (dual rotor front brakes, those drool-worthy CB400-channeling downpipes and the under-side exhaust exit vs the 500R's large side-can, the cast swingarm vs the extruded aluminum tube on the 500R etc). I also prefer the sound and power delivery of an I4 to a P2. But the 500R is still an attractive bike, no question and what we like or don't like is subjective. For stuff like that, go with your heart :)

I also agree: the 650F's clocks are the worst though I didn't care for the 500R's either. My Fazer's got a pretty simple setup with, crucially, a proper needle for a tach :)

From the sounds of it the 500 would be a great bike for you. I really don't think you can go wrong with it.

There's really nothing wrong with any of those bikes -- the 250R, the 500R or the 650F.

So much is subjective: I much prefer the look of the 650F to the 500 (dual rotor front brakes, those drool-worthy CB400-channeling downpipes and the under-side exhaust exit vs the 500R's large side-can, the cast swingarm vs the extruded aluminum tube on the 500R etc). I also prefer the sound and power delivery of an I4 to a P2. But the 500R is still an attractive bike, no question and what we like or don't like is subjective. For stuff like that, go with your heart :)

I also agree: the 650F's clocks are the worst though I didn't care for the 500R's either. My Fazer's got a pretty simple setup with, crucially, a proper needle for a tach :)

From the sounds of it the 500 would be a great bike for you. I really don't think you can go wrong with it.

It is indeed subjective :D. I tested the R3 prior to my 250R, and wasn't a major fan of ergonomics so I went the Honda route and hell I'm one happy camper. Honda really makes pretty easy to ride bikes, as someone who will use bike for simple trips 300-500km and mostly daily commute a smaller CC bike will be just fine. Man if I knew my insurance isn't going to kill me I would get a bike of my dreams Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird, I loved that bike to death, but I know I can't afford the insurance on it at this moment or at least in next 10 years.

And I will agree that the 650F back tire, swingarm, exhaust look amazing as compared to the 500. But the 500 has that stunning Fireblade look in the front. Would be awesome if the next generations of 500R had single sided swingarm and small exhaust (not that it matters since I would go with aftermarket exhaust). But hey man by 2018 there will be different models from all of the manufactures and hopefully something will come down the road for me. If not I will battle myself between the 500R or the VFR800F (assuming I can afford insurance on the VFR).

Yeah, the whole insurance thing is worrying me too. It's said that "sport bikes" will be hit hard this spring (see other thread on GTAM) and even a sport(y) tourer like my Fazer is likely to get snared. All I can do is wait & see I guess. I had my eye on a new Aprilia Tuono but doubt that'll be in the cards in the spring...

I've got the CB500F and this is my first season on it. I went from the CBR250R to this thing and I'm very happy with my decision. Only negative I can think of is the amount of wind blast while on the highway. Outside of that I've got zero complaints about the bike. I outfitted it with hard luggage, AirHawk, and it's good for daily commuting duty and long distance touring as well. This winter I'll be searching for a screen and putting it on so that should take care of my only issue that I have.

It doesn't have the get up and go of the 650 I'm sure, but it's enough for me. Comfortable cruising 120-130 (minus wind) all day long, and it'll top out around 160-165. Probably could get it going faster but never bothered trying...

I've got the CB500F and this is my first season on it. I went from the CBR250R to this thing and I'm very happy with my decision. Only negative I can think of is the amount of wind blast while on the highway. Outside of that I've got zero complaints about the bike. I outfitted it with hard luggage, AirHawk, and it's good for daily commuting duty and long distance touring as well. This winter I'll be searching for a screen and putting it on so that should take care of my only issue that I have.

It doesn't have the get up and go of the 650 I'm sure, but it's enough for me. Comfortable cruising 120-130 (minus wind) all day long, and it'll top out around 160-165. Probably could get it going faster but never bothered trying...
It can definitely go faster... or so i've heard.

Huh. It should go faster. My CBR250R hits 145-150, but thats 0.5 rpm near red line so I don't push any further on. I'm sure I could do 160ish but that would be in redline territory, a great way to kill your engine. Plus I'm pretty small rider, 5'7" @ 132lb, so there isn't much weight to carry. My bike does struggle when I pickup my GF and total weight becomes 300ish lb which is a pretty ****** weight for a 250/300cc bike. A quick google search turned out that top speed of CB500F is 188 km/h (117 mph).

It can definitely go faster... or so i've heard.

CB500F is capable of 188 km/h (117 mph).. But it depends on wind resistance + riders proportions. If I'm going with the wind and tucked it I'm like a mini rocket on the highway with my 250. When I go into the wind I want to cry a river, seeing how badly my 250 starts to struggle and that engine sounds makes my heart cringe. Until I start going back with the wind and then I'm happy camper again :D

Yeah, the whole insurance thing is worrying me too. It's said that "sport bikes" will be hit hard this spring (see other thread on GTAM) and even a sport(y) tourer like my Fazer is likely to get snared. All I can do is wait & see I guess. I had my eye on a new Aprilia Tuono but doubt that'll be in the cards in the spring...

Man I hope not. The whole insurance thing is such a BS. And Provincial gov. wants to do nothing about keeping insurance rates at check. Insurance in other provinces is way more reasonable if you ask, they provide better coverage and all for less price and this is the stuff I been told by people who worked in BC and AB, saying there insurance is godly amazing and they treat you nicely not like here in ON, where they treat you like crap and rip you off everywhere. I guess if insurance becomes stupid I will take the supermoto route, the insurance on those things is still under $3000 for a 400cc. I got quoted $2440 for Suzuki DR-Z 400SM and that thing is loads of fun and stupidity. Let's hope small amount of people don't ruin the supermoto insurance rates, they did enough for the sport bike community.

I worked with a guy who was 18, guy was stupid as a brick. He was pretty darn proud of having his license suspended for stunt riding and doing wheelies at the intersection on his Ninja 300. And because of morons like this everyone has to suffer... life is BS

Last edited:
Man I hope not. The whole insurance thing is such a BS. And Provincial gov. wants to do nothing about keeping insurance rates at check. Insurance in other provinces is way more reasonable if you ask, they provide better coverage and all for less price and this is the stuff I been told by people who worked in BC and AB, saying there insurance is godly amazing and they treat you nicely not like here in ON, where they treat you like crap and rip you off everywhere. I guess if insurance becomes stupid I will take the supermoto route, the insurance on those things is still under $3000 for a 400cc. I got quoted $2440 for Suzuki DR-Z 400SM and that thing is loads of fun and stupidity. Let's hope small amount of people don't ruin the supermoto insurance rates, they did enough for the sport bike community.

I worked with a guy who was 18, guy was stupid as a brick. He was pretty darn proud of having his license suspended for stunt riding and doing wheelies at the intersection on his Ninja 300. And because of morons like this everyone has to suffer... life is BS

The insurance industry is one of the few remaining that is allowed to get away with blatant discrimination based on gender and age and the SCC is complicit (see Bates v. Zurich). If an SCC case is ever settled where people of certain races or creeds are openly and blatantly discriminated against due to "statistical correlation" between their race/religion and "risk" I think the population would go nuts. But for some reason -- likely political donations, $$$, collusion and a monopoly in government-mandated coverage etc etc -- politicians and courts allow insurance industry discrimination and we collectively just accept the rear end reaming.

Bates v. Zurich was a long while ago (1992 SCC decision culminating a process started in 1983 with Bates' initial complaint); perhaps the human rights landscape has changed enough to warrant another OHRC complaint...

I have watched couple of reviews on the 650F and 500R, actually there was a guy from Vaugh area test riding the 650F and said it's not a very major differences between his 500R. Thing is the 500F have not been touched by Honda, the 2016 500R looks more like the 1000RR. The passenger seat has been moved higher and the back seat cover lock is now located in same location as on the 600RR/1000RR. The front of the 500R is similar to the 1000RR inc. the way the windshield sits/mounted as compared to the 2015 model. Looking back on it, I did not like the 2015 model because of few little things, the 2016 however looks way better.

I'm not an overly crazy fan of the Naked bikes, mostly because the front light looks like crap on most of the naked bikes, I kind of would like a cruiser like front on a naked bike. You know something closer to way naked stunt bikes are. As for the 500F the 500X is even more comfortable, more upright and way more affordable on insurance. But I'm more of a Sport person.

There is a HUGE difference between the CBR650F and CBR500R -- If memory serves, both weigh about the same, but the 500 makes 47hp and the 650F makes 87hp...so more than double.

I owned a CBR250R for 2.5 years, and the 500F seemed very similar to that bike, but didn't rev as high and didn't run out of steam as quickly. The CBR650F (what I have now) physically feels like the 250 (in terms of ergos) except heavier, and the engine feels more like the CBR600RR does, up to about 10,000rpm when then 6500RR clearly surpasses it.

Honest opinion is ride the bikes and decide for yourself. I was sold on the 600RR except for the ergos, and the 650F did everything I wanted (with still a ton of power in reserve unless you are trying to ride 200km/h), was more comfortable, and a lot less on insurance. I'm also not knocking the 500 series...but you really can't compare them to the 650F, given all the powertrain differences. I test rode the CBR500R before the CBR650F came out, and there wasn't enough to justify selling the CBR250RA for it, given losses, imo.

Last edited:
There is a HUGE difference between the CBR650F and CBR500R -- If memory serves, both weigh about the same, but the 500 makes 47hp and the 650F makes 87hp...so more than double.

I owned a CBR250R for 2.5 years, and the 500F seemed very similar to that bike, but didn't rev as high and didn't run out of steam as quickly. The CBR650F (what I have now) physically feels like the 250 (in terms of ergos) except heavier, and the engine feels more like the CBR600RR does, up to about 10,000rpm when then 6500RR clearly surpasses it.

Honest opinion is ride the bikes and decide for yourself. I was sold on the 600RR except for the ergos, and the 650F did everything I wanted (with still a ton of power in reserve unless you are trying to ride 200km/h), was more comfortable, and a lot less on insurance. I'm also not knocking the 500 series...but you really can't compare them to the 650F, given all the powertrain differences. I test rode the CBR500R before the CBR650F came out, and there wasn't enough to justify selling the CBR250RA for it, given losses, imo.

650 is 50 lbs heavier than the 500. I agree with the rest.

I don't deny that there is a huge difference. The 650F is an I4 the 500R is P2 so they are in 2 different leagues. Weightwise pretty similar, plus a bit more weight isn't a bad thing, especially in windy weather. The 250R is pretty nice bike, I should have gotten the 300R just for that 1.9% financing but as an idiot I choose to have the 250R with bigger % over the 300, not that I complain. I was very upset at color options available with the 300R's... RED... looking at Honda US they had plenty of color choices to choose from and still do over Honda Canada.

I would probably get into loads of trouble with the 600RR. Plus from what I heard it's ergonomics take a toll on the rider on long rides. I'm surprised by your word the 650F suppresses the 600RR after 10k RPM, isn't the only difference is the extra 50cc? But I may be wrong, the insurance is kind of funny truth. More power than the RR, unless I'm missing something here (which I am probably).

Well I got a while to go till 2018. And to be honest I hope Honda brings around some more color schemes for the 650F like there HRC (Tri-Color) or White... See they got this HRC in Europe and got Red, Black and Blue in US
mctHlUd.jpg

Back
Top Bottom