New helmet with internal rubber shock absorbers from Bell and 6D | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New helmet with internal rubber shock absorbers from Bell and 6D

油井緋色;2360625 said:
Last year I was ejected off my motorcycle at a much greater speed, hit shoulder then head, and went face skidding on asphalt. I felt nothing on my head. To say that helmets don't stop concussions without scientific proof sounds like ******** to me.
Stating anecdotal evidence based on your own personal experience doesn't prove or disprove anything.

Concussions are brain injuries you're confusing protecting your head with protecting your brain.

Last edited:
Stating anecdotal evidence based on your own personal experience doesn't prove or disprove anything.

Concussions are brain injuries you're confusing protecting your head with protecting your brain.
That was the point hence why asking for scholarly articles.

Oops, forgot to mention I know what concusions are as I had one. If your head hits the floor hard the force will transfer to your brain and your brain will do some jelly dancing and bad things happen.

Pretty sure if I punch somebody square in the head without a helmet, they will get a concusion. Do the same with one and the helmet should absorb most of the impact and not transfer it to the brain.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Here is an excellent page on helmets by Hockey Canada. No hype, no illusions, no research paid for by the helmet industry. Just the plain cold, hard facts.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Hockey-Programs/Safety/Concussions/Facts-and-Prevention.aspx

Here is an article about one of the many studies showing that helmets don't stop concussions:

http://www.sportsafetyinternational.org/new-football-helmet-study/

Good article in Scientific American (a reputable publication) explaining why helmets cannot prevent concussions:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/why-dont-helmets-prevent-concussions/

Need more? Here's an expert on motorcycle helmets showing how they cannot prevent concussion or brain injury:

http://drbiomechanics.com/brain-injury-tbi/helmets-do-not-prevent-brain-injury-and-concussion/

Helmets prevent superficial injury like skull fractures. They lessen the possibility of something piercing your skull. They do not and cannot prevent brain injuries. That is a proven fact. I'm not saying that this new helmet won't help, I'm just saying it would not be the first time a manufacturer lied to sell a helmet. Don't believe what they say. Wait until all the science is in before you gamble on a wondertoy.

油井緋色;2360635 said:
Pretty sure if I punch somebody square in the head without a helmet, they will get a concusion.

i highly doubt that, unless you are sucker punching somebody.
As a former semi-pro kick boxer (cruiserweight - basically light heavyweight for those not in the know), I can say I have never had a concussion, despite being whacked in the melon many times sparring in the ring and in proper kickboxing matches.
If you're getting a concussion from somebody hitting you in the head as you described you've either been sucker punched or taken such a beating that it should have been stopped much earlier.

Here is an excellent page on helmets by Hockey Canada. No hype, no illusions, no research paid for by the helmet industry. Just the plain cold, hard facts.

Reading through your posts, it's pretty clear to me that you're not comparing apples to apples, but apples to oranges.
The old helmet designs, and all of the links you posted up, state that concussions are caused by shear forces on the brain. The old style helmets do *NOT* reduce the shearing effect, but simply stop puncture and the blunt trauma.

The new helmets as proposed in post #1 of the thread all deal with reducing the shearing effect, which causes concussions.

Personally, I feel it's a step in the right direction. These companies are listening to scientific research and are at least attempting to forward a new technology to help reduce concussion.

As a minor hockey referee - I'm still completely baffled as to why parents would go out and spend $700 on a pair of skates for their 13 year old child, and then turn around and purchase a $69.99 helmet. The feet don't go anywhere without the brain. If an extra $100 on a helmet has even a slight chance of protecting the brain of a player, why on earth wouldn't people do it? If the extra $400 spent on skates gains an extra half stride over the length of the ice due to weight reduction - think about it.

油井緋色;2360625 said:
Yes. So far this thread is pretty fail when it comes to proving that helmets don't stop concussions.

If anyone is going to claim this, post a peer review of some sort directly from a university or other credible source.

I've suffered a major concussion on a bicycle without wearing a helmet. Speed was VERY low but I had an internal hemorrhage and required operation to drain the blood out before the pressure caused permanent brain damage.

Last year I was ejected off my motorcycle at a much greater speed, hit shoulder then head, and went face skidding on asphalt. I felt nothing on my head. To say that helmets don't stop concussions without scientific proof sounds like ******** to me.

Oh I hear you. I've taken one spill with a bicycle helmet--over the bars at speed, skipping along the asphalt on the side of my head. The other one was a doozy--a low hanging branch hidden by leaves, about a thick as a baseball bat. Wasn't going too fast, but a slow bat to the top of the head is nothing to joke about. I could feel the EPS liner crushing during that one. No symptoms of concussion from either accident, for what it's worth.

I bet Josh Herrin looked in the mirror first before he agreed to wear it (I'm almost sure I read he wore the new helmet during the 2015 season).

Old

New

Oh my god! Look how fat his head looks with that new helmet! Lol

Internal isolators are a good idea but ultimately it's still a relatively small helmet with limited capacity for energy absorption. Its quite likely that these new systems are better at protecting the brain, but there's never going to be a usable concussion-proof helmet.

...but there's never going to be a usable concussion-proof helmet.

I don't know about most of the people here on GTAM, but if spending an extra $500 on a brain bucket gives me even a 10% chance of a reduced or negligible concussion it's money well spent. We can always make more money - but potentially losing months of pay due to a concussion is the far less desirable option than paying the premium for a new tech helmet.

Been looking for a new helmet, may wait until spring when these new helmets are available.

I tend to stay out of these threads, but this almost reminds me of the constant mandatory helmet debates.

I highly doubt most of the guys here against the new technology are smarter than the people in the companies that dedicate their careers to inventing new safety gear. I said most, not all.

I would pay for it if it works as intended.

I tend to stay out of these threads, but this almost reminds me of the constant mandatory helmet debates.

I highly doubt most of the guys here against the new technology are smarter than the people in the companies that dedicate their careers to inventing new safety gear. I said most, not all.

I would pay for it if it works as intended.

I also usually stay out of these threads, but that bolded sentence sounds like an appeal to authority fallacy there... they are in the business so they must know more.

What if their real goal is not to increase safety but rather to come up with what appears to be exclusive technology to drive sales and grow their business? This is something for the consumer to figure out -- whether the new technology performs as stated or is a marketing gimmick.

Last time I was looking for a new helmet about a year ago, I just went to Royal D and tried on every helmet that appealed to me. I didn't like some of the features of the more expensive models, like the drop down sun shield. In the end, the helmet that fit me best and felt most comfortable actually turned out to be one of the cheapest they had -- only for me to discover later that it is also a very loud helmet (lets in far too much noise). Next time I go helmet shopping I need to bring in a list of quiet helmets. That Sena helmet in the other thread might be worth considering.

^^^ again-- wind tunnel simulator for trying new helmets. Million dollar idea. Shark Tank that $#!+

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

^^^ again-- wind tunnel simulator for trying new helmets. Million dollar idea. Shark Tank that $#!+

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Next time you need a helmet I will come along with a gas powered leaf blower, will that work?

With ear plugs on, is wind noise a factor for you guys?

With ear plugs, no, but I often like to ride on the street listening to music. My noise cancelling earbuds only cancel so much noise, so then the wind noise can get to me.

My DRZ with the FMJ pipe and 3x3 mod, however, is too loud for earbuds... I need good ear plugs on that bike. I have a quiet insert, but I still don't like how loud the bike is, and also don't want to revert back to stock exhaust.

With ear plugs on, is wind noise a factor for you guys?

No. I rode with earplugs for the first time at a trackday this year. Helps immensely with concentration because you aren't subconsciously filtering out unnecessary noise and can focus on how your bike sounds and if someone is coming up behind you.

I also usually stay out of these threads, but that bolded sentence sounds like an appeal to authority fallacy there... they are in the business so they must know more.

What if their real goal is not to increase safety but rather to come up with what appears to be exclusive technology to drive sales and grow their business? This is something for the consumer to figure out -- whether the new technology performs as stated or is a marketing gimmick.

Last time I was looking for a new helmet about a year ago, I just went to Royal D and tried on every helmet that appealed to me. I didn't like some of the features of the more expensive models, like the drop down sun shield. In the end, the helmet that fit me best and felt most comfortable actually turned out to be one of the cheapest they had -- only for me to discover later that it is also a very loud helmet (lets in far too much noise). Next time I go helmet shopping I need to bring in a list of quiet helmets. That Sena helmet in the other thread might be worth considering.
That is why I said I would buy it if it worked. It is the debate and the negativity that I was commenting on. I am pretty frugal with my purchases, but the new technology is a great thing especially because I may start racing next year.

Back
Top Bottom