New helmet with internal rubber shock absorbers from Bell and 6D | GTAMotorcycle.com

New helmet with internal rubber shock absorbers from Bell and 6D

JoeyB

Site Supporter
I don't see mentioned how big these things are. That extra mechanical layer has to add bulk somewhere. Are we looking at a Lord Helmet situation?

Nice to see helmet manufacturers finally admitting that helmets don't stop brain injuries after years of pretending that they did. They are good for superficial injuries under 30mph only and never stopped concussions despite lofty claims to the contrary. Now we're supposed to wear what? Two helmets with one inside another? Is this going to get a bit like Gillette Trac II, Trac III, 3D, 4D, ad nauseum? How much bulk are we talking here? And what's the price of this aberration going to be?

Nice to see helmet manufacturers finally admitting that helmets don't stop brain injuries after years of pretending that they did. They are good for superficial injuries under 30mph only and never stopped concussions despite lofty claims to the contrary. Now we're supposed to wear what? Two helmets with one inside another? Is this going to get a bit like Gillette Trac II, Trac III, 3D, 4D, ad nauseum? How much bulk are we talking here? And what's the price of this aberration going to be?
~$400 entry level
~$700 race level
~$1300 pro level
All prices USD
Actually, imo, worth paying the extra for. And not that far off with price point than other manufacturers.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Wow, new helmet technology comes out and all people can do is ***** about it. We should just stop wearing them, they don't help anyway.

Wow, new helmet technology comes out and all people can do is ***** about it. We should just stop wearing them, they don't help anyway.

I wasn't saying I was against them, I just wanted to know how big they were

I wasn't saying I was against them, I just wanted to know how big they were

Ok so let's just say that this new helmet is twice as safe as an older style one but in turn the helmet is slightly larger making your head look bigger, are you now not going to buy it because of this?

I've never once looked in a mirror while purchasing a new helmet. Fit, safety rating, ventilation, weight, and features are FAR more important and should be the deciding factors not if it makes your head look big lol. I get where your coming from I guess but really, this is new tech that could be life saving and advancing rider safety. I'd rather look dumb and be alive then impress someone at Tims and be dead.

Also, how in the heck do helmets not help reduce the possibility of a concussion? There is impact absorption which will help from all the shock being transferred straight to your skull which in turn will slow down the rate at which your brain will impact it.

Nice to see helmet manufacturers finally admitting that helmets don't stop brain injuries after years of pretending that they did. They are good for superficial injuries under 30mph only and never stopped concussions despite lofty claims to the contrary.

i dont think you understand the idea of helmets. they were never to prevent brain injury, but to reduce the occurrence. indian larry (most likely) would have been fine had he been wearing a helmet.

I don't think a helmet would do much for you at speed at a direct hit with a solid object. They're mainly there to protect your head as you bounce around and keep pounding the pavement in a slide.

Direct hit at 30mph....not much will help you. Just hope you get flung over or away during initial contact.

Ok so let's just say that this new helmet is twice as safe as an older style one but in turn the helmet is slightly larger making your head look bigger, are you now not going to buy it because of this?

I've never once looked in a mirror while purchasing a new helmet. Fit, safety rating, ventilation, weight, and features are FAR more important and should be the deciding factors not if it makes your head look big lol. I get where your coming from I guess but really, this is new tech that could be life saving and advancing rider safety. I'd rather look dumb and be alive then impress someone at Tims and be dead.

I see guys like you as the opposite extreme of the guys who wear fake helmets. You're likely a buyer of the most expensive, most up to date, most hyped helmets (and the motorcycle media is great at hyping safety apparel) on the shelf. Yup, the $1200 Shoei/Bell/Schubert Snell "Special" Edition is so much better than the standard DOT helmet. "Never take chances with your head, you get what you pay for" has to be the oldest selling line in motorcycling. But show me a study that shows Snell approved helmets save more lives than DOT helmets. There aren't any, and there's no proof that more expensive helmets are safer either. We do know that there's a sucker born every minute though.

Also, how in the heck do helmets not help reduce the possibility of a concussion? There is impact absorption which will help from all the shock being transferred straight to your skull which in turn will slow down the rate at which your brain will impact it.

Well, stopping concussions was the selling theory at first. They found out later with subsequent studies that the liner in helmets has little to no effect on concussions because it's too hard. They do have a dramatic effect at redistributing an impact over a broader area of the skull to prevent fractures. For more information just do a web search asking "Do helmets prevent concussions?". You will be amazed to find out they don't. None of them.

I see guys like you as the opposite extreme of the guys who wear fake helmets. You're likely a buyer of the most expensive, most up to date, most hyped helmets (and the motorcycle media is great at hyping safety apparel) on the shelf. Yup, the $1200 Shoei/Bell/Schubert Snell "Special" Edition is so much better than the standard DOT helmet. "Never take chances with your head, you get what you pay for" has to be the oldest selling line in motorcycling. But show me a study that shows Snell approved helmets save more lives than DOT helmets. There aren't any, and there's no proof that more expensive helmets are safer either. We do know that there's a sucker born every minute though.

Well, stopping concussions was the selling theory at first. They found out later with subsequent studies that the liner in helmets has little to no effect on concussions because it's too hard. They do have a dramatic effect at redistributing an impact over a broader area of the skull to prevent fractures. For more information just do a web search asking "Do helmets prevent concussions?". You will be amazed to find out they don't. None of them.

Well my backup helmet is an HJC but it's their RPS10, my main helmet is Shark's top of the line Race-R pro (excellent rating from SHARP btw). If I were out looking at scenery I wouldn't have an issue with wearing a cheaper helmet however I'm riding at 100% of my ability 90% of the time and sometimes 105% everytime I'm on a motorcycle. I also need the extra ventilation, bigger eye ports, pin lock lenses, and all those "selling features for suckers". Ya you can get some of that stuff in a cheaper helmet that weighs significantly more but my budget allows me to use a good helmet so I will. Ever tried riding in 38C weather in full leathers at %100? You'll be happy you've got a light weight helmet with good ventilation while your brain feels like it's being hard boiled.

I see what you mean about the liner disbursing load and preventing fractures but that has to help atleast slightly with how fast your head comes to a stop. Either way, these new helmets are to help aid in preventing more head injuries so why be soo quick to dismiss it? It's not just a new graphic or some new fancy shield, it's actual new technology that could change the way helmets are made. I see you guys all the time, the type that think their $89 dot bucket is just as good as every other helmet out there and they're not falling for the hype of new technology, it's just a waste and cuts into their beer money. Now get off my lawn.

Last edited:
Guys, can't we all just get along? @dricked you are a champion racer (congrats, btw) and do speeds that I would never imagine. And like you've stated, you're budget allows for a 'better' helmet.
@Roadghost you've brought up a good point about helmets not being effective against brain damage.
I personally believe that as long as a helmet meets dot/snell requirements, then it is safe. Now does a more expensive helmet offer more protection, well, I'm not convinced that it does. But an open face is better than a bucket, and a modular is better still, and a full face will offer the best protection, that I do believe. Now I have yet to find a FF that is comfortable, so I wear a modular.
Now this new tech is not fancy graphics or special edition. It's not even things that are, imo, worth the extra $$ like weight, better airflow etc. But what it claims to provide us a real chance at giving riders better odds of recovery WHEN we go down. I, for one, am interested to see how this goes. Ymmv.
I'm not sure where this whole Dali Lama Zen make peace break bread post came from. Maybe I should stick to being a jokester. ?

Guys, can't we all just get along? @dricked you are a champion racer (congrats, btw) and do speeds that I would never imagine. And like you've stated, you're budget allows for a 'better' helmet.
@Roadghost you've brought up a good point about helmets not being effective against brain damage.
I personally believe that as long as a helmet meets dot/snell requirements, then it is safe. Now does a more expensive helmet offer more protection, well, I'm not convinced that it does. But an open face is better than a bucket, and a modular is better still, and a full face will offer the best protection, that I do believe. Now I have yet to find a FF that is comfortable, so I wear a modular.
Now this new tech is not fancy graphics or special edition. It's not even things that are, imo, worth the extra $$ like weight, better airflow etc. But what it claims to provide us a real chance at giving riders better odds of recovery WHEN we go down. I, for one, am interested to see how this goes. Ymmv.
I'm not sure where this whole Dali Lama Zen make peace break bread post came from. Maybe I should stick to being a jokester. 

Thank you for the compliment.

My post wasn't trying to come across as angry and I'm in no way shape or form upset about anyone's opinion.

To further your point, there was a study done by a UK biker mag to prove the exact point you're making: in the context of helmets, cheaper, bulkier DOT (ECE) approved helmets transferred less forces to a study skull than SNELL approved expensive helmets: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/automobiles/27SNELL.html?_r=0 The purpose of the article was to prove that the requirements needed to pass SNELL ratings are too harsh; I believe the guy who wrote this was fired from his job. Politics :(

Pricey helmets usually have better aerodynamics, comfort, multiple shell sizes, easier visor swaps, clearer visors, are lighter, better ventilated, etc. however are by no means any "safer" than a cheap helmet. It is worth noting that a more comfortable helmet serves as less of a distraction, however.

Brain injuries are the result of the skull stopping (or starting) quicker than the brain, no? Anything that helps in that regard is a good thing. EPS will have some effect in terms of slowing the skull, though there isn't too much space to work with (an inch at most?).

The Great Gazoo approves...

gazoo_zpsfrz8ilgl.jpg

I bet Josh Herrin looked in the mirror first before he agreed to wear it (I'm almost sure I read he wore the new helmet during the 2015 season).

Old

New

Last edited:
Brain injuries are the result of the skull stopping (or starting) quicker than the brain, no? Anything that helps in that regard is a good thing. EPS will have some effect in terms of slowing the skull, though there isn't too much space to work with (an inch at most?).

Yes. So far this thread is pretty fail when it comes to proving that helmets don't stop concussions.

If anyone is going to claim this, post a peer review of some sort directly from a university or other credible source.

I've suffered a major concussion on a bicycle without wearing a helmet. Speed was VERY low but I had an internal hemorrhage and required operation to drain the blood out before the pressure caused permanent brain damage.

Last year I was ejected off my motorcycle at a much greater speed, hit shoulder then head, and went face skidding on asphalt. I felt nothing on my head. To say that helmets don't stop concussions without scientific proof sounds like ******** to me.

Back
Top Bottom