20 years ago tonight -- in Montreal. | GTAMotorcycle.com

20 years ago tonight -- in Montreal.

Motorcycle Mike

[video=youtube;Qx7RstctR7M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx7RstctR7M&feature=youtu.be[/video]

20 years ago tonight was the Quebec referendum. Where were you?

I had just finished basic training at Base Ste. Jean-Sur-Richelieu and was on leave awaiting transfer to Petawawa for battle school. I met my brother in Montreal that night, had a few beers at a bar watching the referendum coverage and then followed the crowds who were turning over cars, lighting signs on fire, breaking store windows, fighting, etc...

We followed this crowd until buses of police in riot gear showed up... then high-tailed it back to the hotel. I'll never forget that night and am pretty glad I kept my anglophone mouth shut.

Agave, were you one of the rioters?

Yes of course, i was the guy with the Expos toque and the cigarette in my mouth.
I was telling all the boneheads that democracy is the illusion of freedom of choice.
Looking back at it now it's like a smack in the face as to how stupid we are.
50.1% vs 49.9% is not a win or progress, it's a people divided perfectly in half.

Reminds me of the recent bs election coverage, every 5 mins they showed us a pretty colored graph on the news telling us the top 3 parties were neck and neck, but the final numbers were nothing like their fantasy projections. Like the weather.
Actually i take that back, they make the weather these days.

I wasn't watching because I didn't care. I had grown indifferent to the Quebec separation thing. If they wanted to go, well so be it. Funny they're making a big deal of it after 20 years, almost like they wish separatism was back. Well, they sure wouldn't hold a referendum under Harper, but I could easily see it under Tardo because as a Quebecer he will go easy on them.

Back
Top Bottom