Last few blasts for this year - who wants to ride? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Last few blasts for this year - who wants to ride?

alon

Looking to ride this Sunday and at least one other day during this coming week. The weather is so-so for Sunday but Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday are mid to high teens temperatures so I don't care about who had to work and other real-life crap - who wants to ride?

Sunday will either be the hockley - Creemore and back routes or the oak ridges trail system that begins near the Toronto zoo (morningside and Shepard area) all the way east to the far side of ganaraska and back. I haven't personally done this ride but will be riding with a friend who knows it well and he has described it as a nice gravel and trail ride that takes you east of the city and back.

Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday will definitely be the hockley - Creemore ride especially if we end up doing the oak ridges (either with or without sections of the Bethany ride) and the ride will likely be on Tuesday.

So - who's interested? Small bikes, big bikes - I don't care as long as you're wearing some armour and your bike is sporting knobbies (or similar) for the terrain.

I'm likely in for Sunday and wouldn't mind checking out the Oak Ridges trail... is it basically the Bethany track and leads to Haugen's? Or completely different?

What time were you thinking of meeting at Morningside and Shepherd area? (hopefully not too early)

I've not done this trail before but it goes from the zoo all the way out to pontypool, past haugens and I guess it's part of the Bethany ride (probably the big bike route). As for time, not too early and it depends on morning temperatures. I'll get confirmation from my friend tomorrow - if he's not able to ride on Sunday then I won't be doing this trail as I don't know where it begins, etc. look for an update here by tomorrow sometime.

ChaseM, you feeling up to coming out on Sunday?

I've not done this trail before but it goes from the zoo all the way out to pontypool, past haugens and I guess it's part of the Bethany ride (probably the big bike route). As for time, not too early and it depends on morning temperatures. I'll get confirmation from my friend tomorrow - if he's not able to ride on Sunday then I won't be doing this trail as I don't know where it begins, etc. look for an update here by tomorrow sometime.

ChaseM, you feeling up to coming out on Sunday?

It sounds like it is the starting of the BB route:

2W1S3Q1.png

Anyway, I'm up for it and I've ridden the Bethany ride and have a few tracks of the trails up there. In fact, Chase tried to ride his 1190 into the forest off a Bethany ride trail just the other week.

It sounds like it is the starting of the BB route:

2W1S3Q1.png

Anyway, I'm up for it and I've ridden the Bethany ride and have a few tracks of the trails up there. In fact, Chase tried to ride his 1190 into the forest off a Bethany ride trail just the other week.
Chase get knobbies yet?

I dont think he did yet but he will need them.

Given that temperatures are really good for this coming week, we should be able to do an "early" start - probably 10:00?

Yeah, same hockley valley hiker's parking lot at 10:00 - lets confirm on Monday.

I haven't heard from my friend about riding tomorrow - he's the one who knows this oak ridges trail so look for an update to this thread late tonight or early tomorrow morning.

I haven't heard from my friend about riding tomorrow - he's the one who knows this oak ridges trail so look for an update to this thread late tonight or early tomorrow morning.

I think I am going to go on an ODSC ride tomorrow... Bob, Phil, Bruce, John, and will likely be in the Shelburne/Creemore area.

Yeah - I just noticed that on odsc and asked where they're planning to ride? My friend for the oak ridges trails is out, not riding tomorrow so I'm doing the Orangeville Creemore aggressive routes with at least two other guys unless Phil, Bruce, etc from the odsc group are doing something else that's more than just a gravel run - happy to get the two guys riding with me and join that group too. Either way, I'll post decisions late tonight or by 9:00 am tomorrow morning at the latest.

It's 9:10, you're late. Lol

Haha, yeah, sorry - rough start this morning and a few fellow riders have dropped off from today's ride. Looks like two of us are doing the Hockley - Creemore routes today. I'm hoping to leave home within the next twenty minutes and head up there so realistically, it's probably an 11:30 start time at Hockley Valley. Not sure I'll get email notifications of replies to this thread so anyone interested in joining us should call or text me at 416-930-7405 anytime between now nd 11:15 or so. The plan is to ride up to Creemore avoiding one spot that I know is going to be very muddy and a water crossing and do a late lunch in Creemore, i'd guess lunch by about 1:30-ish and then take the return routes back to Hockley Valley. For anyone joining, we are parking in the Hockley Valley hiker's parking lot on Hockley Valley road directly across from the Black Birch Restaurant (link to restaurant location: http://www.blackbirchrestaurant.ca/locations/)

Let me know - we are going to carry a casual pace, no need to kill ourselves on slippy leaves and mud today (we'll save that for Tuesday) :)

Haha, yeah, sorry - rough start this morning and a few fellow riders have dropped off from today's ride. Looks like two of us are doing the Hockley - Creemore routes today. I'm hoping to leave home within the next twenty minutes and head up there so realistically, it's probably an 11:30 start time at Hockley Valley. Not sure I'll get email notifications of replies to this thread so anyone interested in joining us should call or text me at 416-930-7405 anytime between now nd 11:15 or so. The plan is to ride up to Creemore avoiding one spot that I know is going to be very muddy and a water crossing and do a late lunch in Creemore, i'd guess lunch by about 1:30-ish and then take the return routes back to Hockley Valley. For anyone joining, we are parking in the Hockley Valley hiker's parking lot on Hockley Valley road directly across from the Black Birch Restaurant (link to restaurant location: http://www.blackbirchrestaurant.ca/locations/)

Let me know - we are going to carry a casual pace, no need to kill ourselves on slippy leaves and mud today (we'll save that for Tuesday) :)
I am going to die on Tuesday?

I better tell my wife to up the insurance.

You're not going to die but the recent rains and other weather have created some new and interesting challenges, mostly hidden by slippery fallen leaves and a few new downed trees - today's ride certainly tired me out and it was a slow pace compared to previous rides.

looks like its its a decent sized group of 5 of us so far - plenty of hands to help when required. I'll post ride details and timing tomorrow.

Who else is coming?

Mike, did you ride with Bob, Bruce, etc today? How was your ride?

Mike, did you ride with Bob, Bruce, etc today? How was your ride?

We had a great ride today... and surprised we didn't see your group. I think we were in Creemore for lunch at about 1 or 130.

Bob led a great ride with all the major landmarks covered, like 'the lookout' and 'the waterfall'. He also split up the group a few times -- pointing those of us with more aggressive tires to the trails and meeting us on the other side.
One such turn off we did was 'the devil's staircase'... i.e. the big hill just outside of Creemore that is part of the optional creemore aggressive ride and appears to run over some guy's lawn near the road.

Last summer we tried going up that hill, couldn't make it. This year myself, Bruce, and Olivio went down the hill. Good times.

This was last summer trying to go up, and a shot of Bruce having just turned around:
HllkCmA.jpg

And here is the same hill, further up, with Olivio coming down. The inset picture is Bob crossing the waterfall.

rNkPemW.jpg

Good times... I should lead a group big-bike ride down the devil's staircase next season. :evil2:

Back
Top Bottom