What constitutes a rear fender? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What constitutes a rear fender?

DavMoto

I understand that a rear fender is needed, but how big does it need to be for it to be considered one?

I am panning on making a DIY fender eliminator to get rid of the chunk of plastic hanging off my bike, but I do not want to be getting pulled over for it. I understand the best option is to just leave it be but its just so ugly.

My bike is a WR250r

Last edited:
get a rear hugger.

would have helped to mention that in the OP...
hahaha

HTA act

66.3) Every motor vehicle and every trailer shall be equipped with mudguards or fenders or other device adequate to reduce effectively the wheel spray or splash of water from the roadway to the rear thereof, unless adequate protection is afforded by the body of the motor vehicle or trailer or by a trailer drawn by the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 66 (3).

"adequate" is very open to interpretation...

Last edited:
i edited my post.

see above

would have helped to mention that in the OP...
hahaha

HTA act

66.3) Every motor vehicle and every trailer shall be equipped with mudguards or fenders or other device adequate to reduce effectively the wheel spray or splash of water from the roadway to the rear thereof, unless adequate protection is afforded by the body of the motor vehicle or trailer or by a trailer drawn by the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 66 (3).

"adequate" is very open to interpretation...

Wow that does not help me to much, so basically as long as I put something there I can argue that it is "adequate"?

Last edited:
Pretty much yes.
Welcome to Ontario traffic laws.

If you're leaving a rooster tail behind you when driving in the rain on the roads, expect it to be considered "inadequate". If not, then chances are you'll never get bothered over it as long as there's *something* there that looks like a fender.

But yes, it is open to interpretation, but if the officer says it was inadequate for some valid reason (again, rooster spray in the rain the most common reason) you'll almost certainly loose if you try to fight it.

If you never drive in the rain on the roads there's a good chance you'll never be bothered over it, but....well, unless you come across a bored cop some day who doesn't like bikes. YMMV.

Wow that does not help me to much, so basically as long as I put something there I can argue that it is "adequate"?
Unfortunately, as you have already made the point the reg has to be somewhat vague. They can't give a specific size or demensions, because obviously what will fit properly for say your bike may not work for a SS or for a cruiser.

As the other poster said if your leaving a rooster tail in the rain it will be judged to be inadequate. Plus if it is doing that it is also likely your going to get soaked yourself. So basically anything that keeps the rain from spraying any higher than say the rear tire or seat at the very most would likely suffice. But of course it isn't meant just for rain but also for foreign objects like rocks from being launched.

The only way to be sure that it will be seen as 'adequate', is to leave the stock one in place.Anything else leaves it to the interpretation of police and the JP.

The only way to be sure that it will be seen as 'adequate', is to leave the stock one in place.Anything else leaves it to the interpretation of police and the JP.

Perfect explanation.

in reality, has anyone here ever been pulled over, or known someone that got pulled over for not having a "proper" rear fender?

usually if you've been pulled over it's because you're riding around like a twat in the 1st place.

remove the fender like 99% of other guys on the road and don't give it a 2nd thought.

Back
Top Bottom