Question about body protectors | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question about body protectors

Hi. How is everyone?

I am not a new rider quite yet but am planning on getting a bike for the spring in 2016. I've decided to get a Yamaha R3 for my first bike. On to my question though. I am trying to make a list of gear and such that I'm going to be getting too. I came across this http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/thor-impact-rig-armored-shirt and was wondering can you wear a jacket over these under-protectors? Probably sounds like a pretty stupid question but I want to be as safe as possible and warm at the same time in fall and spring haha. Seems these are all meshed. I know some jackets have armour in them as well but I haven't seen any with spinal protection or with as much armour as these under-protectors.

Any answers or advice would be much appreciated!

Hi. How is everyone?

I am not a new rider quite yet but am planning on getting a bike for the spring in 2016. I've decided to get a Yamaha R3 for my first bike. On to my question though. I am trying to make a list of gear and such that I'm going to be getting too. I came across this http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/thor-impact-rig-armored-shirt and was wondering can you wear a jacket over these under-protectors? Probably sounds like a pretty stupid question but I want to be as safe as possible and warm at the same time in fall and spring haha. Seems these are all meshed. I know some jackets have armour in them as well but I haven't seen any with spinal protection or with as much armour as these under-protectors.

Any answers or advice would be much appreciated!
@MacDoc has one iirc. Hopefully he can chime in. Also search some gear threads, it was discussed early this season.
And welcome to the forum!

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Yes, you can wear a jacket over the armour. Though you may want 2. One mesh for summer and a full non vented for the colder times.

The Thor Impact Rig is good for impact. You will still need a mesh or leather jacket over it for abrasion. Maybe you can save money on the jacket because you won't need any armor.

Almost all current motorcycle jackets already come with back, elbow and shoulder armour. If you use the under armour you will need to remove the motorcycle jacket armour. I really do not think you need this extra under armour for riding street. The armour provided with most jackets is sufficient. When you have some riding experience with a regular bike jacket you can then think about how you want to tweak your armour setup.

Riding a motorcycle is inherently risky. Do not, for a moment, think that if you buy more armour that you will not get hurt. No armour will help you if you hit a car, light stand or curb, your bones will break and you will get hurt. The best safety device you can invest in is the one between your ears: take a riding course, read books, join and read this forum, learn "wrong place and wrong time" situations and not be there.

My advice: do not buy this armour, save your money. Buy a regular leather motorcycle jacket with armour, take a riding course, buy and read some riding safety books ("Proficient Motorcycling" by Hough), and learn as much as you can to keep you as safe as possible. Spend your armour money on riding boots instead.

You're going to have a difficult time fitting a motorcycle jacket over that comfortably since most of them have their own padding and are fairly tightly fitted.
Thor is mostly designed for offroaders who will simply throw a jersey over.
I wear mine for off road and take out the armor of my textile jacket. I like it enough that I just may wear it like that on road also.

Hey! Thanks for the replies everyone. The main reason I was looking at the under armour was the Spine Protection. Are there jackets that offer that? And maybe some form of neck protection.
Thanks for the info on that book, "Proficient Motorcycling" I'll pick that up.

I don't have the M1 yet. Is it possible to take the course during the winter or early spring as the snow is melting? I'm waiting until that sexy grey R3 comes out (hopefully with ABS) to purchase.
http://www.motoroids.com/news/yamaha-r3-gets-new-colour-schemes-and-graphics-for-2016/ **drools**

Also I've tried to look. Is there a limitation on the period we can ride in Ontario? In other words do I have to wait for a specific date during the year to start/end riding? Besides the obvious that no one really rides in the dead of winter/snow.

Also are kevlar lined denim with knee protectors any good or should I get the composite textile stuff? And another quick question. Does the price of the helmet effect quality or are the price ranges just a reflection of Brand.

For instance this https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/schuberth-sr1-helmet.html super expensive helmet vs. this https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/icon-alliance-dark-helmet.html cheap in comparison helmet.

Thanks again for the replies!

**Edit: Oops didn't see there you said most motorcycle jackets already come with back armour. Any suggestions on what to go with? Style isn't a concern really. I can always make that decision later haha.

Last edited:
Most in-jacket spine armour is just padding. The other armour is alright, but if you're concerned, wear a back protector and take out the spine padding.

You can ride all year if you decide to. I only stop when the snow sticks to the road and start around late March.

Get your M1 in early spring, book your course early. They don't run in the winter.

I always advise to get a used bike in good mechanical condition and don't worry about how pretty it is. It's only your 1st bike not your last. Learn to ride, not having to worry about a shiny new bike.

Most of the higher price of a helmet is the brand and graphics. A good one will be around $200-300. Above that you pay for graphics, fancy materials, etc.

Kevlar jeans are better than plain denim. Though I wear full leather or just jeans and jacket. I always wear boots and good gloves though. Go figure.

Last edited:
OP there are a ton of threads here where most of your faq's are answered. You're kinda throwing out general opinion questions. Read through some posts and then maybe try some specific questions. For example, iirc, some jackets have a foam back protector, and some jackets have better spine/ back protection.
If it hasn't been mentioned yet, head out to the winter bike shows, you will get the chance to see a bunch of different options.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

OP if you want spine protection then just buy a spine protector. Try one on and see if it is comfortable for you. Then remove the spine padding in your jacket.

You can ride all year long. Your bike insurance covers you during the winter, but there is nothing colder than a motorcyclist in winter. Remember that even at 60kph you will experience a 60kph wind chill. If you do not have a wind shield, heated grips, heated clothing or gifted with not feeling the cold, you might get hypothermia, which will be dangerous on a motorcycle. Cold reduces your reflexes, cars do not expect you on the road and the combo is dangerous for any biker, experienced or novice.

^ sums up cold weather riding.

My first season, thought I'd be able to ride well into December until the snow really gets on the ground. One morning it said it felt like -5, 20 minutes later I couldn't feel my hands so I parked at the nearest go station and took the train. Was warming up my hands on the exhaust lol.

Like they said if you're not getting heated gear or some heated grips, or if you're not an Eskimo. Forget about winter riding.

You're going to have a difficult time fitting a motorcycle jacket over that comfortably since most of them have their own padding and are fairly tightly fitted.
Thor is mostly designed for offroaders who will simply throw a jersey over.

If you remove the elbow armor this will fit under many motorcycle jackets.
It can be worn on it's own but I don't think it's appropriate for a new rider.

OP - don't spend a fortune on gear. There are lots of used jackets and gloves out there and decent helmets for $150-200.

If you want some underarmor then buy the Thor knee protectors

72315172b359fdfa73fa3768f81764e5.jpg

and wear them under sturdy pants ...I like the 501 Technical pants.

Better to save the money and take some courses, even better yet take the motocross course at Chatsworth Motopark.

The gear won't make you safer in any kind of a serious accident.
If you take the motopark course you will fall and will learn how to fall and learn how to keep your bike upright under adverse conditions like slippery pavement.

Your best safety gear of all is ABS brakes.

Stay out of group rides and perhaps find an experienced rider you can tag along with.
Riding every day will sharpen your skills.

These are nice short rides with a variety of conditions
http://www.wingnutty.ca
My riding partner did them up ...I helped with a couple.

I still ride with my $50 used Joe Rocket mesh jacket and just bought a liner and a hiviz rain jacket. That can do you down to 10 degrees as you layer them and of course works well in hot weather

Over the ankle boots - even hiking boots are fine and gloves with some knuckle armor.

What you save in gear put to a bike with ABS - even used. You will outgrow the 300 in a year or two so most likely ...so buying a new machine makes little sense.

There are several CBR250 with ABS on Kiji.

$_27.JPG

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...50/1114639302?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Great starter machine. Honda's are pretty much bullet proof.
What ever you get --- after a few months take some mild dirt roads ....will improve your skills and you won't panic if you come into construction or poor surfaces and grab a handful of front brake.
Without ABS you'd likely go down.

Typical new rider falls are slow speed - turned front wheel and a braking error.
Whoever owned the bike listed above did a nice job of keeping the shiny side up and is ready to move on. Good pattern for you.

Good luck.

Shameless plug. I don't know what size you are but I'm selling a used icon leather jacket size small. Check my classified post.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom