Video of Toronto Police acting like thugs | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Video of Toronto Police acting like thugs

Police don't have to let people know they are recording if they are in a public place, but I believe it's their directive to do so. Anybody is free to record / photograph in a public place.

Some cops are gfetting out of control. We are following the footsteps of the U.S in snlowly becoming a police state where cops are the attack dogs of the politicians and have complete authority with no oversight.

Lets see what they do to the guy who murdered Sammy Yatim.

That said, ive had many pleasant and profesional encounters with the police and majority of them are polite and professional (for now anyway) but there are always the few who are out of control.

That said, ive had many pleasant and profesional encounters with the police and majority of them are polite and professional (for now anyway) but there are always the few who are out of control.

Me as well, if fact my last three speeding tickets were the smoothest law enforcement encounters of my storied riding career. The big difference? My attitude. But there was never any question about who was wearing the pants, so to speak. I didn't like that but hey.

I'm going to paint 'em all with the same brush...damn thugs. Frankly, the Toronto Police Service scare the heck out of me.

What it comes down to for me is this. If the cops doing the arresting (or whatever was going on by the car) by the book then they should have no issue being filmed. The officers in the guys face in the video seemed to be called in just to harass the guy taking the video so obviously the question is "what are the arresting officers with the guys against the cars doing that they are afraid of being caught doing on camera?"

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

What it comes down to for me is this. If the cops doing the arresting (or whatever was going on by the car) by the book then they should have no issue being filmed. The officers in the guys face in the video seemed to be called in just to harass the guy taking the video so obviously the question is "what are the arresting officers with the guys against the cars doing that they are afraid of being caught doing on camera?"

Agreed

And let's say it's by the book and video guy doesn't like it anyway and posts it on line with officers faces in plain view and unbalanced people comment negatively and it's happened hundreds of times before and the people doing it are low lifes with nothing but cameras and internet connection(if that) to their name and you're a cop dealing with low lifes all day your reaction might be less than politically correct yet within the scope of the law which this encounter was but already the negative comments on this video indicate it's a vicious circle.

Nobody even mentioned that why are they wasting our tax money having 2 officers doing nothing for the public good. Should these 2 officers not be policing as they are mandated to do instead of being asshats!?

And let's say it's by the book and video guy doesn't like it anyway and posts it on line with officers faces in plain view and unbalanced people comment negatively and it's happened hundreds of times before and the people doing it are low lifes with nothing but cameras and internet connection(if that) to their name and you're a cop dealing with low lifes all day your reaction might be less than politically correct yet within the scope of the law which this encounter was but already the negative comments on this video indicate it's a vicious circle.
If it is by the book then the cops have nothing to worry about except some video they never have to watch getting comments from a bunch of "low lifes".

Its when they try to hide what they are doing that people will start to question exactly what's happening.

A video of a by the book arrest will gain no ground because anyone who knows what they are looking at will dismiss it. A video like this where they blatantly try to hide what they are doing only raises questions of why they are hiding.

Its unprofessional in the least, I'm sure when they signed up to be a cop they knew they would be dealing with "low lifes" so that is no excuse to act this way. If it was me being taped, I'd welcome it as proof of me doing my job properly, and not try to hide what I do. Especially if I was a cop and supposed to be accountable to the people whose taxes pay my salary.

Nobody even mentioned that why are they wasting our tax money having 2 officers doing nothing for the public good. Should these 2 officers not be policing as they are mandated to do instead of being asshats!?
I mentioned this in my email to them. I told them in the email watching this video is equivalent to watching police throw taxpayer dollars into a bonfire.

If it is by the book then the cops have nothing to worry about except some video they never have to watch getting comments from a bunch of "low lifes".

Its when they try to hide what they are doing that people will start to question exactly what's happening.

A video of a by the book arrest will gain no ground because anyone who knows what they are looking at will dismiss it. A video like this where they blatantly try to hide what they are doing only raises questions of why they are hiding.

Its unprofessional in the least, I'm sure when they signed up to be a cop they knew they would be dealing with "low lifes" so that is no excuse to act this way. If it was me being taped, I'd welcome it as proof of me doing my job properly, and not try to hide what I do. Especially if I was a cop and supposed to be accountable to the people whose taxes pay my salary.

Great theory and I respect that. I'm just saying it takes two to tango and our side is represented by a very small percentage and then you have people whipping the tango into a froth. I'm trying to look at both sides. But of course you are correct.

What I would like to know is what happened before the secondary officers arrived. In the video one of the arresting officers clearly shows disdain for the guy filming when the secondary units show up. What was said prior to the video is not shown. It also says clearly it's "been edited for content". Just like the general media I feel this one has been chopped to support the direction that the videoographer wants opinions to take.

Have we all forgotten about the Durham OPP video? Way worse IMO.. actual threats being spouted. What did the officer get? A paid vacation i recall...

[video=youtube;SYsXUcefk2g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYsXUcefk2g[/video]

Ah, so citizens can run around taping whoever they want without permission, but the police have to let people know,
or they might even have to ask permission first. What if the camera starts recording, before the person has been informed/asked?

Also, their cameras have software that can differentiate between an interaction with the public, and other things.
Your knowledge of this is quite impressive.

Shouldn't these people have to ask the people that they're videotaping for permission as well? In this case it would be the suspects.

After all, fair is fair.
Lol you do realize I did not come up with the law or rules right? simply commenting on a news reporting piece on the TV I saw.

I don't remember saying I was an expert, I clearly said where my sources were from.

Please don't be so butt hurt

Here is the police response via the star.
http://www.thestar.com/news/insight...ggressive-tactics-used-by-tavis-officers.html

Here is a quote
In this case, though, police say the constables should have told Miller they were blocking his view because the youths were 15 and 16.
“Their identities are protected by law, and certainly while we feel the officers’ concerns were appropriate, their lack of communication in this regard was not,” said police spokesperson Meaghan Gray.

My first instinct was that the police are still wrong, including this supposed explanation. I did a quick search and my suspicions bore out. It is NOT illegal to photograph or video minors in public, even if they are under arrest. What is illegal is the publishing of photographs/video identifying minors under arrest. That's the thing, and it is a big difference. Seems to me the Toronto Police don't know the laws, all the way up to senior lead members and their press communications, and they don't seem to care to either.

A caveat is my research was basic, so if anyone can shed more detailed information and light on this to provide a supported counter-argument, by all means.

Last edited:
What I would like to know is what happened before the secondary officers arrived. In the video one of the arresting officers clearly shows disdain for the guy filming when the secondary units show up. What was said prior to the video is not shown. It also says clearly it's "been edited for content". Just like the general media I feel this one has been chopped to support the direction that the videoographer wants opinions to take.

Oh please the guy would have had his phone and face smashed if he did anything illegal.

Me as well, if fact my last three speeding tickets were the smoothest law enforcement encounters of my storied riding career.

Last ticket I got the cop started flirting with me after handing it to me.

I sent the video to the Mayor's twitter account, I won't hold my breath.
Fair enough but at least yu did something. I think city news should get it too. Theyre usually good at following up

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Fair enough but at least yu did something. I think city news should get it too. Theyre usually good at following up

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
The Toronto Star did a report on it, the Police official response was that the people being filmed were minors and that the cops failed at explaining the situation properly. Their supervisor has seen the video.

AKA nothing is going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom