Ninja 300 to CBR 600 - New found love! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ninja 300 to CBR 600 - New found love!

Drennan57

This past season I was riding a 2013 Ninja 300 SE and decided to take advantage of the end of season prices and buy a CBR600F4i for next season.

I absolutely love this Motorcycle! At first the size and power was a little daunting but once you get comfortable on the 6 it rewards you with feelings the 300 isn't capable of.

Yes, I'm glad I started on the 300 because it gave me a solid platform to learn the basics of riding. It would have taken me alot longer to feel comfortable on the 6 had I got it from the start so I'm glad I chose that route.

The difference in power is immence but it really does open up more options while riding. On the 300 you are "limited" for things like passing, for example you have to pick your spots on any 80+kmh roads because the bike is already working harder to maintain those speeds. You never get this feeling on the 600, the faster you go the better it gets. And I'm down with that :)

Just wanted to share my experience. 300 to 600 SS thumbs up from this guy! :)

Last edited:
Get ready for a potential insurance hit in the spring.

Get ready for a potential insurance hit in the spring.

I bet you're the life of the party everywhere you go :p

26 y/o, spotless driving record, full G licence over 5, no claims, truck as primary vehicle. Shouldn't be that crazy.

I bet you're the life of the party everywhere you go :p

26 y/o, spotless driving record, full G licence over 5, no claims, truck as primary vehicle. Shouldn't be that crazy.

Hehe. Nothing personal. Just something I heard from my insurance agent re Harleys and sport bikes possibly seeing large rate increases this coming spring. A 300cc bike is likely immune but whatever you're paying now for the 600 could go up in the new season.

Seriously. I rode my wife's 250 ninja all the time. I passed when ever I needed to. Just drop a gear or two and off she went. The thing red lined at 13,000rpm I think.
It had way more than enough to make me feel comfortable on the 400 series highways.

This past season I was riding a 2013 Ninja 300 SE and decided to take advantage of the end of season prices and buy a CBR600F4i for next season.

I absolutely love this Motorcycle! At first the size and power was a little daunting but once you get comfortable on the 6 it rewards you with feelings the 300 isn't capable of.

Yes, I'm glad I started on the 300 because it gave me a solid platform to learn the basics of riding. It would have taken me alot longer to feel comfortable on the 6 had I got it from the start so I'm glad I chose that route.

The difference in power is immence but it really does open up more options while riding. On the 300 you are "limited" for things like passing, for example you have to pick your spots on any 80+kmh roads because the bike is already working harder to maintain those speeds. You never get this feeling on the 600, the faster you go the better it gets. And I'm down with that :)

Just wanted to share my experience. 300 to 600 SS thumbs up from this guy! :)

Bad move, only one season you have not learned that much.

600 will just make you want to go straight.

Btw, you should get M license b4 jumping on SS. So you dont have to rely on Statefarm.

Welcome to gtam. ... I went straight to a 600 and I'm still alive. And don't worry every year I always hear insurance is going up on ss. I'm paying the same if not less 4 years straight now.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I know it was a quick upgrade but I don't see it as a "bad move" per say. What's wrong with owning something you are proud of?

What bikes would you have recommended as a step up from the Ninja 300? Keep in mind I'm 6'1 and 205 pounds so part of the reason I got the six was comfort. I still have the Ninja btw, gonna let my girl ride it next spring.

There's nothing wrong with that upgrade for anyone with the skills, maturity and discipline for it. Congrats.

That's good to know and I do hope my insurance will be reasonable. The way people talk about 600's crack me up sometimes. Yes they are fast if you push them but there is a reason the throttle spins in both directions. I just like knowing that my bike is "capable" of performing on a track.

Last edited:
I would imagine 1 season on a 300cc is sufficient for a mature rider before jumping to an inline 4, like the 600F4i. You'll be fine. Just slowly ease into the new bike - as you should regardless of the bike or it's engine size. Beyond that the only flaw I see in the purchase is jumping ship before having a full M at your age. I'm sure you'll still get hit hard. However, if you have the budget; then all the more power to you.

I would imagine 1 season on a 300cc is sufficient for a mature rider before jumping to an inline 4, like the 600F4i. You'll be fine. Just slowly ease into the new bike - as you should regardless of the bike or it's engine size. Beyond that the only flaw I see in the purchase is jumping ship before having a full M at your age. I'm sure you'll still get hit hard. However, if you have the budget; then all the more power to you.

It takes 22 months to get the full M licence here, which is ridiculous imo. Down south you can get an M licence in literally 2 days :lmao:

My girlfriend is from Nashville, she bought a Shadow Aero 750 brand new and took a weekend course and boom she now has a full M licence in Canada. I had to "teach" her what counter steering was and throttle blip on downshifts, proper braking technique and what line to ride etc.

Oh well :rolleyes:

It takes 22 months to get the full M licence here, which is ridiculous imo. Down south you can get an M licence in literally 2 days :lmao:

My girlfriend is from Nashville, she bought a Shadow Aero 750 brand new and took a weekend course and boom she now has a full M licence in Canada. I had to "teach" her what counter steering was and throttle blip on downshifts, proper braking technique and what line to ride etc.

Oh well :rolleyes:
Curious as to why you find the 22 months ridiculous then? It doesn't seem like her training was adequate.
Also, your gf has good taste in bikes.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

On the 300 you are "limited" for things like passing, for example you have to pick your spots on any 80+kmh roads because the bike is already working harder to maintain those speeds.

Really?.....I think you should have stayed on the 300 and learned how to ride it.....but that's just my opinion

There's no right answer. No check that, bigger is better. Carry on.

Back
Top Bottom