Adventure Bikes. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Adventure Bikes.

After reading this thread: http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...t-a-cb500x-with-rally-raid-kit.1100125/page-5

The CB500X RR seems like a very capable bike for what I am looking to do... i.e. all around bike -- lots of gravel, some non-maintained and double track, and very little highway but capable when needed.

I am seriously considering selling (or trading) my DRZ in the spring to get a CB500X and start down the road of the stage 3 rally raid; or at least the bits that suit my purpose. I'll likely keep the Vstrom until I am convinced it has been replaced.

For the cost of the bike plus rr kit, I'd just buy a klr. Highway capable, gravel capable etc, more comfy than a drz. Tons cheaper and reliable. Then I'd buy spare rims with knobbies.

For the cost of the bike plus rr kit, I'd just buy a klr. Highway capable, gravel capable etc, more comfy than a drz. Tons cheaper and reliable. Then I'd buy spare rims with knobbies.

The KLR is not good for shorter people like us. 35" seat height and very top heavy so it feels a lot heavier. I think they are still carburated as well.

Mike, if you want I can meet up with you one of these days and we'll swap bikes for a bit and you'll see how smooth the CB500X engine is.

This was a shootout between the CB500x and Vstrom ...I was surprised how close it came. I really enjoyed the CB500x on the demo ride but certainly not as durable as a Vstrom in terms of built to take punishment. Needs suspension work even on the road tho a fork brace likely will solve some of the wallow in the corners.

The thing I like was the value for money and lots of farkles so could be turned to many uses....and it was just plain fun to ride.

https://rideapart.com/articles/suzuki-v-strom-650-adventure-vs-honda-cb500x-comparison-test

But be aware of ground clearance

I've considered the KLR many times over the years, but decided against it. The only one I have ever ridden was a 1st generation KLR, and to me it felt like a top-heavy tractor. It seemed to want to lay down when I did a u-turn and did not give me a good impression. I've also helped Jacob out of too many mudholes and drops to know that it is not a light bike. I've also considered the DR650... but I think if were to decide between a KLR, DR, and DRZ, the DRZ would be my choice.

Question... since I didn't read the instructions about installing a rally raid kit -- does changing to larger spoked wheels involve any permanent modification, or could one still keep the stock wheels with street tires and swap between them?

If I got a CB500X, that would be my first addition -- an extra set of bigger wheels to put knobbies on. Second step would be the addition of a skid plate and engine guard. I'd save the suspension work for last.

Thanks for the offer Nam... unfortunately it seems there are rarely times when we are both not working. Anyway, no rush, I won't be selling anything or making any decision until the spring.

Edit -- now I have looked at the rally raid page, and it seems like doing a portion of the conversion out of their sequence could be a problem. The kit that includes the wheels states:
These upgrade kits will only be available to those customers who already have Level 2 kits, so that they can upgrade to full Level 3 specification.
http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/honda-cb500x-cb500f/honda-cb500x-spoked-wheel-kit

Edit 2 -- I found the answers to my questions: http://www.cb500xadventure.com/#!faqs/c1enu and it seems like all of the suspension work is required as a first step (19" wheel won't fit without taller suspension)... and I didn't realize how expensive all of this was. Perhaps I will just keep two bikes, the sale of the DRZ wouldn't even pay for the kit.

I think a lot of people have concluded that.
A nifty move for Honda would be to have factory version for a couple of grand more..
A mini Africa twin based on the 500CBX.

The KLR IS a tractor, is top heavy - it IS bullet proof reliable and the longish suspension and 21" front wheel helps with the logs etc. It is in no way an off road machine but does okay on dual track and light single track when it has the right tires on it and it will drone along at 100-110 in reasonable comfort for 3-400 km in a day.

I'm really considering a Honda 250 something to replace it in Australia.

580x434

Saw one yesterday.

First Times Ride: Honda CRF250L dual sport does it right
July 17, 2013|By Charles Fleming

Honda puts another well-designed, well-built bike on the road -- and in the dirt -- with its CRF250L.

The dual-sport market continues to be a growth sector for the motorcycle industry. The CRF250L is Honda's latest attempt to create market dominance in this sector as it has in others.

The company has fielded a very able bike. The CRF250L -- Honda's small-bore version of its 650cc desert dual sport -- is a smart, sturdy street bike that hits the dirt.

Not as tall in the saddle as the CRF250R or CRF250X, and offering less travel fore and aft, this version of the dual sport offers really appealing around town handling, great gas mileage (a promised 73 mpg), capable maneuvering in the soft stuff and a pretty sweet sticker price, too -- $4,699.

I have a Tiger 1050 and I love my bike except when I'm doing slow speed stuff or if I'm on really uneven (horizontal slope) stuff. It's top heavy and a ***** to move around walking it but once it's going it's pretty agile. I'd love to get a do it all bike but I would need the comfort and speed of the Tiger on the road and better suspension and more agility on the trail. Top needs would be comfort...if I have to stop every hour to stretch legs or let a numb *** regain feeling then there's no point. I love the 1050 triple engine...gobs of power wherever I want it.

Seriously looking at one of the big beemers to see if that would fit the bill...or a KTM (reliability issues?) adventure bike. I'd like the weight down a little lower than my current bike which is what I hear the beemers have because of the boxer engine.

The problem with the small bikes, Mac, is the same problem with my DRZ... they are not comfortable to go far.

Living in Mississauga the closest legal areas to do a bit of offroading are an hour away, but once I've ridden those a few times I want to see different places so I keep going further.

A few times this summer I have taken the Vstrom exploring the area just South of Algonquin Park, and more than once I had to turn back as I didn't want to risk getting the Vstrom buried in the middle of nowhere (even with other riders, it would be tough to get out). So a few times that I found decent spots I returned home on the Vstrom and then went out the next time on the DRZ -- but it is hard doing a 12 hour plus day on the DRZ seat, no wind protection, etc...

I have even gone so far as to make the DRZ more road worthy by installing a windshield, but with the DRZ's compact size the shield was too close and I was hitting it when standing riding through trails. It also seemed dangerous... if I had a hard impact against it, and say my neck took the impact, I could be looking at serious injury or death, so I got rid of it. I do have a seat concepts seat which helps a bit, but is still quite firm and is narrow.

Anyway, I guess the best option for me is to keep two bikes... a Vstrom for the longer range touring which it is great at, and the DRZ for off road exploring which it is great at. I might just need to take the DRZ on the trailer more often and set up a base camp for a couple days. I only paid $3500 for the DRZ and only pay $230/year insurance, so any other option and I would be out a lot of coin.

The CB500X RR edition would fall in the middle... I doubt it would be as good as the Vstrom for distance touring, and it would not be as good as the DRZ is offroad... so in the end I would be paying upwards of $10k or more to lose capability.

Finally, the great thing about having two bikes is that if I damage one or have one out of commission for maintenance or something, then I always have another bike to take out.

I know - same problem in Australia tho not quite as severe... I'm always 1/2 hour and a ride up the range road to get to nice forest trails but while they are pretty easy riding for the most part - the rain gutters and fallen trees make it a chore for the lumbering beast KLR.

If the were all like this - no problem

ScreenShot2013-02-07atFeb7201373419PM_zps7f56b817.jpg

they are not.

A stripped down KLR with a Sargent seat - I can do 3-400 km in a day with reasonable comfort yet do some light single track, stream crossings and not so good dual track. Not too bad to pick up but it is top heavy with a full tank.

I think Sargent makes some seats for the 400s but again ...no easy solution in Ontario.

Around Ontario its way worse.

Anyway, I guess the best option for me is to keep two bikes... a Vstrom for the longer range touring which it is great at, and the DRZ for off road exploring which it is great at. I might just need to take the DRZ on the trailer more often and set up a base camp for a couple days. I only paid $3500 for the DRZ and only pay $230/year insurance, so any other option and I would be out a lot of coin.

sounds like the best solution for here.....or move :D

I don;t like the touring screen on the KLR for the same reasons - the DRZ400 is under consideration for Aus but with a single bike there ( I did have an ST1100 ) I still like to go to some of the outback towns. Bit of a chore on a 400

I'll move the Strom to light off pavement here and keep the CBF1000 for long road trips.

Last edited:
DR650.
Next.

Having 2 bikes is the best option. Getting a trailer for the DRZ400 is a good idea, or trade it for the DR650? You have so many choices if you decide to keep 2 bikes, it gets tougher when you can only have 1.

I have a KTM 690 Enduro. It doesn't do anything particularly well but it does some of everything. It can commute, gobble up highway kms without too much discomfort for a bike like this, singletrack, doubletrack, jumps, stairs, drops, can be easily picked multiple times, manage crushing traffic gridlock with impeccable manners, etc. Doesn't do any of those a well as others but I only have one bike to do it all and this seems to be hit a perfect blend for me thus far. In the 2014/2015 iterations, they even come with defeatable ABS front and rear if that matters.

Like a grand touring dirtbike of sorts!

CONS:
It is quite tall. My old bike had a stock 37.8" seat height and yet this feels taller because it's wider. I'm only 5'8" with a 30" inseam but I slapped a lowering link on her and I can ride/get on/off it well enough. Just remember to fall uphill on the off camber stuff otherwise it'll be a long way down.
It is very expensive.
It's not Japanese. She needs somewhat more TLC as a result.
Turning radius too wide for goat trails unless you are dynamically slipping. Got to be a good rider for that. I'm not so it is dangerous and tiring on the tricky stuff for me.

PROS:
Absolutely love love love the hydraulic clutch lever and the oh, the power delivery. Around 67hp and 330lbs wet = 4th gear roosting.

I really wish Yamaha would come out with the mythical WR450R already!!!

The Cb500X is a very capable bike, especially considering the price!! The engine is surprisingly smooth, and gets better with higher RPMs. For me personally though, I wish it was a bit bigger, right now it feels scaled to 7/8. I took one short trip in the summer (2000 + kms in 2 and a half days), and it wasn't too comfortable for me by the afternoon (I'm 5'10). The ergos are perfect for someone a bit shorter than me. Also, if you do a lot of highways, it will get you there, but you are riding in high RPMs... good thing the bike is quiet!!
I will keep it for now until something more inspiring comes along. I too like the FJ-07, but want to see what the manufacturers will come out with in the next 2 years.
The rally raid kit is an option, but I don't see the benefit is spending around $4,000 CAD (after shipping, customs and ex rate) on a $5,000 bike. You definately won't get that back when you are selling the bike... just my 0.02

Edit 2 -- I found the answers to my questions: http://www.cb500xadventure.com/#!faqs/c1enu and it seems like all of the suspension work is required as a first step (19" wheel won't fit without taller suspension)... and I didn't realize how expensive all of this was. Perhaps I will just keep two bikes, the sale of the DRZ wouldn't even pay for the kit.

Yeah, that's my point about the cost. It does make the bike more capable, but for that money, you can always get a small used trail bike like a yamaha WR or a honda CRF which would be better off road. Even with the rally raid, In my opinion, the bike will be "limited" by the engine

Expensive RR kit defeats purpose of this bike unless money is no object but then you wouldn't be looking at this bike. I like the 500X, perfect for the gravel roads I ride and with semi knobbily tires will get me thru anything I need to but slowly. I would put cartridge emulators in the forks and get a lighter muffler and skid/crash protection then ride snot out of it to suit the mood. By the time I smash up the rims hopefully there will be used ones available on Kijiji.

I have a KTM 690 Enduro. It doesn't do anything particularly well but it does some of everything. It can commute, gobble up highway kms without too much discomfort for a bike like this, singletrack, doubletrack, jumps, stairs, drops, can be easily picked multiple times, manage crushing traffic gridlock with impeccable manners, etc. Doesn't do any of those a well as others but I only have one bike to do it all and this seems to be hit a perfect blend for me thus far. In the 2014/2015 iterations, they even come with defeatable ABS front and rear if that matters.

Like a grand touring dirtbike of sorts!

CONS:
It is quite tall. My old bike had a stock 37.8" seat height and yet this feels taller because it's wider. I'm only 5'8" with a 30" inseam but I slapped a lowering link on her and I can ride/get on/off it well enough. Just remember to fall uphill on the off camber stuff otherwise it'll be a long way down.
It is very expensive.
It's not Japanese. She needs somewhat more TLC as a result.
Turning radius too wide for goat trails unless you are dynamically slipping. Got to be a good rider for that. I'm not so it is dangerous and tiring on the tricky stuff for me.

PROS:
Absolutely love love love the hydraulic clutch lever and the oh, the power delivery. Around 67hp and 330lbs wet = 4th gear roosting.

I really wish Yamaha would come out with the mythical WR450R already!!!
The 690 is a great option. If it wasn't for the price, seat height and the single cylinder vibrations on extended highway rides I might have bought it.

CB500X with TKC80 tires is without a doubt best bang for the buck.

I've considered the KLR many times over the years, but decided against it. The only one I have ever ridden was a 1st generation KLR, and to me it felt like a top-heavy tractor. It seemed to want to lay down when I did a u-turn and did not give me a good impression. I've also helped Jacob out of too many mudholes and drops to know that it is not a light bike. I've also considered the DR650... but I think if were to decide between a KLR, DR, and DRZ, the DRZ would be my choice.

KLR650 needs to lose about 80lbs and gain 10hp. Carb is not too bad, it needs to be warmed up at first but once that's done, it runs very smooth.
KLR is a very comfortable bike.
Just not designed for single track or very aggressive terrain but with proper tires it CAN go almost anywhere. Considering how many times I have dropped it, I'd say it's quite durable. Even the plastics are hard to break and I thought that would be the issue with the 2nd gen.

DR650 was on my list too but I would need a larger tank for it as I enjoy that 300km range that KLR guarantees. In a way, KLR is more of an ADV bike, something like an underpowered V-Strom, more so than a true dual sport.

Right now I'm considering a DRZ400, WR250R or possibly a KLX250 as a lighter option for local trails. I would most likely keep the KLR650 so I can explore unpaved areas further away from here, like Sudbury or Vermont.

DR650.
Next.
I have to admit, I didn't notice your post as I was just expecting some odd or sarcastic reply (as usual), but in this case you might have the right answer for me.

A DR is cheap, could be fitted with a better seat and a windshield for touring, is only slightly heavier and less dirt capable than the drz, comes with good clearance and tubed spoked wheels with great tire options.

Want to trade my drz for your dr for a day to see how I like riding one?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

no.

Want to trade my drz for your dr for a day to see how I like riding one?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Size wise, his might feel like a Grom to you if you're taller than, say, 5'8". I believe that I can almost fit on it. If I had 2 people to help me.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom