Adventure Bikes. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Adventure Bikes.

I have a cb500x that i wanted to "convert" to an adventure bike... but i think im just gonna ride it next season and then switch to another bike for 2017. If the fj-07 comes out... i'll definitely be jumping on that.
I have a CB500X and it's a very capable machine. Buy the Rally Raid Level 3 kit and it would be an awesome adventure bike.

I have TCK80's. I like them and haven't had any problems on the street but they don't seem to last very long. I might try the Tourance next

or try a tkc80 front and a tourance rear
This is a very popular combo. I have TKC80'S front and rear and I love it on and off road, my bike is only 430 lbs with a full tank and less than half the power you have though so they would last longer.

I have a cb500x that i wanted to "convert" to an adventure bike... but i think im just gonna ride it next season and then switch to another bike for 2017. If the fj-07 comes out... i'll definitely be jumping on that.
Hmmm...I said that if I ever wanted to move away from the cruiser, that I would look at something like to cb500x. I figured that it was more of an all around type of bike. It's not cutting it?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Hmmm...I said that if I ever wanted to move away from the cruiser, that I would look at something like to cb500x. I figured that it was more of an all around type of bike. It's not cutting it?

Depends on what type of riding you want to do.

This is me on my stock CB500X with dual sport tires and I am very inexperienced with off pavement. I plan on riding more challenging routes soon.
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?193755-Creemore-Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arbUf1iG5CI

Last edited:
Depends on what type of riding you want to do.

This is me on my stock CB500X with dual sport tires and I am very inexperienced with off pavement. I plan on riding more challenging routes soon.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=193755
I saw that you had the Shadow too, so you know what I'm talking about. I love the ride, the look, the sound. Just sometimes I think that something like the cb500x, or iirc nc700 would be more, for lack of a better word--practical. Tbh, though, I don’t think Purple Rain will ever go anywhere. Maybe have to win that lotto and add some bikes to the stable!

I saw that you had the Shadow too, so you know what I'm talking about. I love the ride, the look, the sound. Just sometimes I think that something like the cb500x, or iirc nc700 would be more, for lack of a better word--practical. Tbh, though, I don’t think Purple Rain will ever go anywhere. Maybe have to win that lotto and add some bikes to the stable!

Yeah I had the Shadow Phantom my first year. Traded it in because I was always scraping pegs and riding on gravel roads. If the CB500X is too small for you, the NC700X is okay too. It is a low revving engine, so not as much to ride and 50lbs heavier.

By all accounts the CB500X is a fine machine. If looking at the NC700X, consider the 750 as it is supposed to be a big improvement.

Funny, that CB500X would cover 90% of my riding the only question is how does it feel in the man dept. If I didn't already have five bikes I'd buy four of these.

oh it works very well for what i do.. i just want more power. and we're also talking 2017, so ill try to squeeze a bunch of adventure out of it...tire change is coming soon too so ill try a 70/30 type of tire..if i can find one in the right size!

If you get the Level 3 Rally Raid kit which comes with 19" front wheel, 2" more clearance and upgraded suspension it'll do a whole lot more like ride the Trans American Trail or the Simpson Desert.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/1061450/

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/1079032/

I'm continually on the lookout for one bike that could replace my two bikes:

The Vstrom is great, but I often find myself taking it places I probably shouldn't be and struggling with the weight when I am half way up a hill and lose traction (for example)... I also bang the skid plate an awful lot -- so my big two complaints: Too heavy and too little clearance.

My DRZ is very capable offroad... probably more so than I am. I definitely don't use all of its potential as I rarely do single track and I tend to stay out of deep mud or sand. The issue I have with the DRZ is the lack of comfort when I need to go any sort of distance.

The CB500X with a Rally Raid kit does appear to be somewhere smack in the middle... stock, not so much. Here is a little chart I pieced together with info I could scrape of the net:

Vstrom 650DRZCB500X RR
Seat height32.9"36.8"31.9" (33.9" RR)
Clearance6.9"11.8"6.6" (8.6" RR)
HP63.733446.9
Wet weight472 lbs317 lbs430lbs
Fuel SystemFICarbFI
Gears6spd5spd6spd

I doubt I will go this route though... sell my two bikes to just have a CB500X, but I am not yet sure what else to consider. The Africa Twin is going to be heavy, possibly even heavier than my Vstrom. The other big dual sports are equally heavy.

Maybe a GS 800 or something?

In which case:

Vstrom 650DRZCB500X RRGS 800
Seat height32.9"36.8"31.9" (33.9" RR)34.6"
Clearance6.9"11.8"6.6" (8.6" RR)9.1"
HP63.733446.985
Wet weight472 lbs317 lbs430lbs456lbs
Fuel SystemFICarbFIFI
Gears6spd5spd6spd6spd

I'm continually on the lookout for one bike that could replace my two bikes:

The Vstrom is great, but I often find myself taking it places I probably shouldn't be and struggling with the weight when I am half way up a hill and lose traction (for example)... I also bang the skid plate an awful lot -- so my big two complaints: Too heavy and too little clearance.

My DRZ is very capable offroad... probably more so than I am. I definitely don't use all of its potential as I rarely do single track and I tend to stay out of deep mud or sand. The issue I have with the DRZ is the lack of comfort when I need to go any sort of distance.

The CB500X with a Rally Raid kit does appear to be somewhere smack in the middle... stock, not so much. Here is a little chart I pieced together with info I could scrape of the net:

Vstrom 650DRZCB500X RR
Seat height32.9"36.8"31.9" (33.9" RR)
Clearance6.9"11.8"6.6" (8.6" RR)
HP63.733446.9
Wet weight472 lbs317 lbs430lbs
Fuel SystemFICarbFI
Gears6spd5spd6spd

I doubt I will go this route though... sell my two bikes to just have a CB500X, but I am not yet sure what else to consider. The Africa Twin is going to be heavy, possibly even heavier than my Vstrom. The other big dual sports are equally heavy.

Maybe a GS 800 or something?

In which case:

Vstrom 650DRZCB500X RRGS 800
Seat height32.9"36.8"31.9" (33.9" RR)34.6"
Clearance6.9"11.8"6.6" (8.6" RR)9.1"
HP63.733446.985
Wet weight472 lbs317 lbs430lbs456lbs
Fuel SystemFICarbFIFI
Gears6spd5spd6spd6spd

I was in the same line of thinking as you Mike. There is no such thing as 1 bike that does it all, I almost pulled the trigger and bought the 2013 R1200GS LC thinking this was going to be it. But at 525 lbs vs 430 lbs and $26,000 vs $6000 I changed my mind and I'm glad I did. If I had to do it over again, I would buy the CB500X again. It is the perfect bike for me. I will get the RR kit eventually.

I have TCK80's. I like them and haven't had any problems on the street but they don't seem to last very long. I might try the Tourance next

Are you still riding this year? I ride Mon-Thurs, let me know if you want to go during those times. I don't have many routes though. I am a follower.

2006 GS
IMG_0382.jpg

Nice. Love the 06

I just have problems slabbing it. After 5 or 6 hours my shoulders feel like they are coming out of their sockets. I had an FJR1300 and a FZ1 and could do 8 hours no problem. I think the bars may be too wide for the street, at least for me, but I need them once I get off road so its hard to change.

This was mine from that vintage. It had Ohlins back and front and a full Remus. The first picture is obvious. The second two are Big Sur. Sorry about the quality. They were taken on a Blackberry Bold :) I'll dig out some better ones once my workstation arrives.

BTW, the front shrouds are not original. They were from a guy in Santa Cruz that did really good quality, inexpensive after-market replacements. They were 1/2 cost of real BMW parts and held up just as well.

GS-Golden-Gate_zpscq2j4bju.png

GS-Big-Sur_zps9xziw216.png

GS-Big-Sur-2_zpsqarlx3kp.png

Last edited:
If you get the Level 3 Rally Raid kit which comes with 19" front wheel, 2" more clearance and upgraded suspension

I love those Rally Raid products. They look the business and according to all reviews work really well

Thanks for the chart MM. Looks like the 500 would have more than enough power for me, as the hp is pretty close to the Shadow. But here's where the problem is: (and not just not having any $$ right now) and that 32 inch seat height is about 6 inches away from me reaching the ground. ?
Maybe I'll just get a Grom.

Are you still riding this year? I ride Mon-Thurs, let me know if you want to go during those times. I don't have many routes though. I am a follower.

Would love to. I'm still waiting on the bike following me from BC but it would be great to get a couple of rides in before the season ends.

Thanks for the chart MM. Looks like the 500 would have more than enough power for me, as the hp is pretty close to the Shadow. But here's where the problem is: (and not just not having any $$ right now) and that 32 inch seat height is about 6 inches away from me reaching the ground. 
Maybe I'll just get a Grom.

The tank is a lot skinnier which helps with ground clearance :)

Back
Top Bottom