Const. James Forcillo shot Sammy Yatim - the trial | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Const. James Forcillo shot Sammy Yatim - the trial

The "situation" was that Forcillo drew a needless line in the sand with his threat. When Sammy crossed that line Forcillo had to honor his word & shoot. The threat to Forcillo, even the potential threat, was nonexistent at the moment he first opened fire.

That is your perception.

I'm curious...if he gets convicted and gets the maximum, what will that do the next time a cop is in that situation? Yeah, they're gonna second guess themselves. And they may be in a more high risk situation. And maybe then the next thread will be about a dead cop.
I'm just kinda thinking out loud and playing devil's advocate.
I'd hate to be part of that jury.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

I'm curious...if he gets convicted and gets the maximum, what will that do the next time a cop is in that situation? Yeah, they're gonna second guess themselves. And they may be in a more high risk situation. And maybe then the next thread will be about a dead cop.

I don't see it as second guessing.

A cop should make the right decision the first time. If you can't make a good risk assessment in a situation like this you shouldn't be carrying a badge and a gun. Maybe he could answer phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see it as second guessing.

A cop should make the right decision the first time. If you can't make a good risk assessment in a situation like this you shouldn't be carrying a badge and a gun. Maybe he could answer phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See, I could never be a cop. Nor have I ever aspired as to such. The outcome of this trial may have less people joining the force. But as you kind of stated, that may be a good thing. Weed out some candidates.
I don’t race, but I'd like to try to make a racing analogy of what I'm thinking :
(And sorry if I get this wrong. Also, don't laugh) Tom Cruise in Days of Thunder. Great driver. Gets in accident. Has skill set and ability to continue to drive great. Second guesses in similar situations because of a past crash. Doesn't win the race.

(Disclaimer : waiting to take diabetic fasting bloodwork, so no food or coffee yet...quite possibly not enough fuel in my brain to think. Like, seriously, who tf uses a Tom Cruise analogy? )

Last edited:
It's not like the crown is on a witch hunt. Fat little piggy crossed the line big time. Everybody knows it.

^this. IMO, there was no immediate danger to anybody at the time of the first shot, pardon me first Three shots. That cop simply put him down, like a dog.
#triggerhappymuch?

I'd think that if he's convicted, the next step should be to determine whether his training (or lack of) contributed to his error in judgement. But that would probably be an internal matter for the police force so we'll never know, if it even happens at all.

But you're right, the effect on other people in similar circumstances will be to encourage restraint. So it may lead someone exercising so much restraint that they are injured or killed in a given situation. And the opposite is true too. If cops are never prosecuted then they will be encouraged to be more bold and forceful when facing a problem like this, and cause injury or death when it otherwise might have been avoided.

Either way, avoidable injury or death of each scenario relies on the application of sound judgement by the police officer. So any time a LEO displays poor judgement (regardless of whether any harm was done) they should be disciplined without any consideration for the potential effect on future injuries or deaths. Because the key to minimizing all harm is the use (or not) of sound judgement, not the use (or not) of force.

@fastar1 well said.

I think the defense is going to introduce the 21 foot rule for knife attacks. However; given that both parties had weapons drawn I don't think this defence will help. The 21 foot rule is usually fatal for the gun user when the gun is holstered.

It would be interesting to hear from any officers on the forum what kind of training they are given for such attacks (or any attacks/take downs) and how often they train for it.

The cops got closer and closer to the bus. Why? ******* porkies in NA are carelessly escalating situations. Too many movies.

Sent from my clear iPhone 31SS

I think the defense is going to introduce the 21 foot rule for knife attacks. However; given that both parties had weapons drawn I don't think this defence will help. The 21 foot rule is usually fatal for the gun user when the gun is holstered.

It would be interesting to hear from any officers on the forum what kind of training they are given for such attacks (or any attacks/take downs) and how often they train for it.
Not to mention that the guy wielding the knife was four steps up on the other side of a doorway.

I wonder if Porkcillo was truly out of his element and now realizes the errors of his ways but can't, for obvious reasons, admit wrong doing? The human mind is very plastic, maybe he's wondering what fuss is all about? Don't they know he's a cop? Donut?

I wonder if Porkcillo was truly out of his element and now realizes the errors of his ways but can't, for obvious reasons, admit wrong doing? The human mind is very plastic, maybe he's wondering what fuss is all about? Don't they know he's a cop? Donut?

I get the sense that you have a dislike for police in general.

I get the sense that you have a dislike for police in general.

Akshooly, no, if the plumber peed in your coffee cup would you dislike all plumbers?

Why the f#@$ would he shoot the kid and then taser him instead of the other way around.These guys sound like a bunch of security guards at a Florida mall instead of Toronto Police officers.Its about time one of these clowns is held accountable.I wonder if this guy was on duty during the G20. Disgusting.

Last edited:

I've looked at the TTC video several times in hopes of finding some obvious justification and from my untrained eye question a bunch of stuff wondering who was the senior officer.

1) In dealing with a disturbed person I would think a bunch of cops yelling "Drop the knife" would increase tension.

2) Forcillo used the F*** word. I'm not a prude but that to me indicates fear and a lack of control.

3) At around 3:30 Forcillo utters a death threat. Another sign of distress from the officer.

Was Forcillo the officer in charge? If so how did he get that position? If he wasn't who was and what were they thinking?

IMO This is about more than Forcillo.

You guys ever listen to podcasts? A while ago Joe rogan had a retired officer (retired from injury) on. His name is Michael A. Wood Jr. Such an interesting viewpoint. I'm fairly certain he'd say the officers were not properly trained. A paraphrase from the podcast is that pretty much all the ex-military police officers never shot anyone in his 11 yrs including himself as an ex-marine. If interested its jre #670.

Another thing regarding police training, is they aren't trained to deal with people with mental health issues. They have people that will ride along with them who are (their job title escapes me ATM)...obviously there's a big issue there as one could say a good majority of the people police deal with are mentally ill.

Back
Top Bottom