Const. James Forcillo shot Sammy Yatim - the trial | Page 28 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Const. James Forcillo shot Sammy Yatim - the trial

^sarcasm?

He has been found guilty... he has not been convicted yet. There is a difference.
Yea and the difference on the police contract or whatever law needs to be changed is that they get suspension with pay when they get sentenced not when they get convicted.

Conviction hasn't been registered. Usually happens same day... but wasn't because of motion(s) filed by defense.
Possible to be found guilty of something but never be convicted.

Ah, that's one of those technicalities you always hear about. Nice.

I can sort of stomach suspension with pay due to presumption of innocence (even though most people would lose their jobs if charged with murder) and that it was put in place to avoid hardships from frivolous accusations and charges.

Forcillo has been found guilty he shouldn't get a dime. He is guilty now. The appeal is to overturn the verdict or a re-trail but as it stands he has been found guilty. His pay should stop and only re-instated if the guilty verdict is overturned.

When was the last time frivolous charges have been laid against a cop? usually the blue shield protects against all but the most serious charges.

http://www.am980.ca/2016/07/28/officer-sentenced-in-fatal-shooting-of-18-year-old-sammy-yatim/

Sentenced to 6 years

I guess this kind of goes against the ones that said he was justified to kill Sammy

Not really. .

He faced two charges, one of murder for the first round of shots, one of attempted murder for the second round of shots.

He was not convicted of murder for the first round of shots, which means that the jury saw the initial round of shots to be justifiable even if they did kill Yatim.

He was convicted of attempted murder for the second round of shots, because the jury saw no evidence of justification for those shots given that Yatim had already been incapacitated and posed no further danger by that time.

Jury didn't see anything - The second charge was a reaction from the Crown because they were afraid a cop was never going to be convicted for murder, so they chicken out and gave the jurors and court a easy way out in order t convict him of something.

Judge said that video and the cop statements didn't match... aka he lied.

lol I was expecting the standard few to come in here and argue this point.

What he did was wrong, he lied and got convicted, all the rest are legalities so my point stands.

His *** is going to jail deserving so nothing else to argue about.
Not really. .

He faced two charges, one of murder for the first round of shots, one of attempted murder for the second round of shots.

He was not convicted of murder for the first round of shots, which means that the jury saw the initial round of shots to be justifiable even if they did kill Yatim.

He was convicted of attempted murder for the second round of shots, because the jury saw no evidence of justification for those shots given that Yatim had already been incapacitated and posed no further danger by that time.

I did not realize the kid was only 18.

I like how they put this spin on things debating no time to 5 years to 10 years.
I did not see if it said what jail he is going to or if it is house arrest.

He murdered that kid and he only gets 8 years.
If you did the exact same thing, do you think you would only get 8 years.

I did not realize the kid was only 18.

I like how they put this spin on things debating no time to 5 years to 10 years.
I did not see if it said what jail he is going to or if it is house arrest.

He murdered that kid and he only gets 8 years.
If you did the exact same thing, do you think you would only get 8 years.
Going to Jail - Probably won't serve even half.

Defense wanted 5 years house arrest and Crown wanted 8 to 10 in jail, he got 6 in Jail

Does custodial sentence matter in regards to allowable discipline with respect to his job? Is/was Ontario a jurisdiction that required a custodial sentence in order to fire a police officer?

Deservedly so, but he's appealing, I am sure. I don't think that in the end he will sit in for more then 2 years, unless he does something stupid there.

Deservedly so, but he's appealing, I am sure. I don't think that in the end he will sit in for more then 2 years, unless he does something stupid there.

Like everyone else except those convicted of murder, he will be eligible to apply for full parole at the 1/3 point of his assigned sentence. He will be eligible to apply for day parole six months before that. Unless he is deemed at risk of reoffending (and this seems highly unlikely) he will likely be successful in applications for both day and full paroles when those respective eligibility dates come up.

Oh well, he'll hopefully rot in prison for a while.. and we know how nice that vacation tends to be for cops hahahah

GUILTY:cool:

Like everyone else except those convicted of murder, he will be eligible to apply for full parole at the 1/3 point of his assigned sentence. He will be eligible to apply for day parole six months before that. Unless he is deemed at risk of reoffending (and this seems highly unlikely) he will likely be successful in applications for both day and full paroles when those respective eligibility dates come up.

Nowhere I applied, it's only an option for him, of course everyone convicted has the same opportunity ... it's just useful for people to realize what is his total jail time in the end. And pls don't tell me that he and his family already suffered enough through the ordeal. This is the last guy who I think is losing sleep over this (if he's he should have thought about it before he pulled the trigger) ... this guy has shown zero remorse in the course of the trial and after the incident overall.

This is the last guy who I think is losing sleep over this (if he's he should have thought about it before he pulled the trigger) ... this guy has shown zero remorse in the course of the trial and after the incident overall.

Probably on the advice of his "people". Remember, it's still us v them. And charades. I'd like to get into the mind of that judge. He pulled a rabbit out of his ***.

... this guy has shown zero remorse in the course of the trial and after the incident overall.

That's because he thinks that he can do no wrong. (and it's pretty likely that cops are trained to act like that)

Anyone who thinks they're perfect, is wrong.

That's because he thinks that he can do no wrong. (and it's pretty likely that cops are trained to act like that)

Anyone who thinks they're perfect, is wrong.

I would argue that it is also the system that thinks it can do no wrong. Forcillo would probably have gone through life unnoticed if he had chosen a career that kept him away from weapons and a uniform.

The system erred in hiring him.

The system erred when other officers on the scene didn't deescalate the situation.

Forcillo goes to jail and the problem goes away. If the whole system was put under scrutiny I think we'd see a lot of bigger fish in the frying pan.

I'm not anti cop-on-the-street. I do however have concerns about the top echelon understanding what is happening on the streets today.

Last edited:
Well said Brian (as usual).

I've said it before - most peeps who WANT to be cops shouldn't be. It's a ******, thankless job where most of the time they are dealing with the worst of our society. Anyone who wants this job ought to have their head checked ( I kid, sort of...)

Back
Top Bottom