Speed limits: Is faster safer? | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Speed limits: Is faster safer?

120km/h is fine on the major highways. But I do not agree with the severe penalties of going any faster then that.

Cars today are made to handle higher speeds safely compared to when the limits were set. Taking someones licence and fining them thousands of dollars for forgetting to lift their pedal going down a big hill is ridiculous to me.

Fastest I've ever gone is around 260km/h. 150km/h is nothing these days.

"Forgetting to lift your foot" shows you don't really have the maturity to drive and follow road rules.......there should be big penalties for that.

"Forgetting to lift your foot" shows you don't really have the maturity to drive and follow road rules.......there should be big penalties for that.

I have to disagree. My daily driver (Acura TL) will accelerate well beyond the speed limit by just "resting" my foot on the pedal. Some cars do it naturally without even trying, turbo cars are especially known for this. Same thing with high end luxury cars being so smooth at high speeds. They feel the exact same at 140km/h as they do at 120km/h, whereas an old Kia will start bouncing coins off the dashboard to let you know.

Sometimes it really isn't on purpose.

I have to disagree. My daily driver (Acura TL) will accelerate well beyond the speed limit by just "resting" my foot on the pedal. Some cars do it naturally without even trying, turbo cars are especially known for this. Same thing with high end luxury cars being so smooth at high speeds. They feel the exact same at 140km/h as they do at 120km/h, whereas an old Kia will start bouncing coins off the dashboard to let you know.

When I went to ask for a reduction on a speeding ticket about 6 or 8 years ago I sat in court for a few hours listening to people try that flavor of excuse over and over again. The judge just repeatedly asked them if their vehicle was suffering any mechanical problems that caused the brakes to be non functional, and if so, their vehicle was to have it's licence plates pulled off immediately. Not surprisingly nobody answered yes. Then he asked if the driver was suffering any medical issues that prevented them from being mentally cognizant of their speed, and able to read the speedometer. He indicated that if they had such problems that their licence would be immediately suspended until they were able to receive medical clearance. Not surprisingly nobody answered yes to that either.

Then he basically said, "So what's your excuse?", and most people just sat there with their tails between their legs and the charges stood. And when you fight a ticket and loose, you are no longer eligible for any dollar or points discounts, so they paid the full hit.

And I agree. If you are not fully cognizant of your vehicle 100% of the time you are lacking a pretty important driving skill.

And yes, before someone mentions it, I was indeed fighting a speeding ticket for doing exactly that - having my 145,000# truck accelerate down a hill and through a speed trap. 91KPH in an 80 zone..and I WAS aware of it and I WAS on the brakes and the jake- had I not been I would have easily been doing 120+ given the weight and the hill. I remember it well, the OPP officer had a bug in his *** for big trucks basically. Still technically my fault though, I owned it, but the judge kind of wrinkled his nose at the pettiness of it and knocked it down to no points and something like a $30 fine, I forget exactly what the details were.

Last edited:
I have to disagree. My daily driver (Acura TL) will accelerate well beyond the speed limit by just "resting" my foot on the pedal. Some cars do it naturally without even trying, turbo cars are especially known for this.

Do you not notice this happening? I drive a 300HP Subaru STi and haven't noticed a tendency toward this. It accelerates as long as I command it to. I am able to maintain speed without issue.

I suggest you get better control over your speeds because when you begin riding a bike like the FZ6R your TL is going to feel like a garden slug in comparison. Even if you think it feels super comfortable and fair at supra-legal speeds the point is that we still have speed limits and entering HTA172 territory has ended the riding (and driving) careers of many a driver who similarly couldn't or wouldn't control their speed.

All vehicles do that if you use the accelerator as a footrest.
That's why it's called an accelerator, and not a footrest.

You're supposed to be in control of the vehicle, not the reverse.
Take a driving lesson if you need to be shown where to put your feet.

All vehicles do that if you use the accelerator as a footrest.
That's why it's called an accelerator, and not a footrest.

You're supposed to be in control of the vehicle, not the reverse.
Take a driving lesson if you need to be shown where to put your feet.

No thank you. I've been driving for over a decade now and never had an accident of any kind. It's just safer at 170km/h for everyone.

Oh geez.

You're going to do great on a motorcycle with these sorts of attitudes.

LOL you're (rightfully) getting your *** handed to you, here

If you don't at least learn to control your vehicle's speed, the least you should do is stop posting that you "can't control it" online haha

"I dunno officer, it was just too comfortable at 160 km/h! Look, there goes a guy in a Kia doing 120 km/h, he knows​ he's speeding, go get him!"

LOL you're (rightfully) getting your *** handed to you, here

If you don't at least learn to control your vehicle's speed, the least you should do is stop posting that you "can't control it" online haha

"I dunno officer, it was just too comfortable at 160 km/h! Look, there goes a guy in a Kia doing 120 km/h, he knows​ he's speeding, go get him!"

It's all good fun at 160km/h.

It's not my fault, I was just resting my finger on the trigger and the gun went off.

Train your brain to make 100km/h feel fast. I had to because I didn't want to abuse my little 4 banger truck and to save gas. Start with simple exercises like looking just over your hood or 90 deg. out the window. It makes it feel faster. If driving a beater cut a big hole in the floor, lift the the mat for a real speed buzz. Tree lined residential areas also feel fast at 100kms. You'll get the same effect as a Nordschliefe video but with tangible benefits.

Back
Top Bottom