Everyone's Favourite Subject Leather Suits! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Everyone's Favourite Subject Leather Suits!

Toast

Ok my two piece Alpinestars suit is just not cutting it for track days for me. I had bought it as a street suit and sized it for layering etc. I have also crashed it this year. So I am going to get a new suit for next year. I kind of figured I would just buy a Racer5 suit from Fawaz. I have seen them crashed numerous times and the price can't be beat, and I can't say enough nice things about Fawaz and Racer5.

I do have a slight hesitation though. I do want to get it appropriately snug fitting. I have watched many people do some strange acrobatics to pry themselves out of their leathers. I have dislocated both my shoulders in the past and am not excited about the prospect of attempting to do some shoulder gymnastics to get in and out of the suit which has me looking at W Frame suits. Anyone care to comment on the pros/cons of using one. (W frame suits are the ones with two zippers in the front not down the middle) The Dainese Aero EVO is the one I see most often. I did notice during my web research though that GP bikes has them on sale for 40% off currently which is great just not in my current size :( (no more burgers for me if I want to fit into a 56 euro).

Anyone use a two zipper one piece?

I was also looking at pilot suits since Bickle recommended them in another thread and noticed you can buy one of their sizing suits (the ones they send people for test fitting) for $850US. Seems like a good deal if you fit off the rack size which I think I do, I am 6'2 210 lbs currently which makes me I think a 48/58 in most suits. Although they are a single zipper as well.

Which lead me to looking at other custom suit makers and I came across Spartan Leathers. They make a w frame suit at a reasonable price off the rack or even custom fitted.

http://www.spartanleathers.com/motorcycle-leathers/elite-1pc-motorcycle-racing-leathers-custom

I do know that John Bickle said before custom and cheap don't go together so not really sure about them though.

I'm glad I have all winter to figure this out :) I am interested in hearing from others especially if you have opinions on W framed suits. Or just tell me to stop over thinking it and buy a Racer5 suit!

As far as getting out of the suit goes, buy some compression gear to wear underneath. It makes a huge difference and the side effect of keeping you cool and comfortable is a huge plus.

Though I haven't tried a W frame suit, in my previous research, it seems that people have nothing but positive things to say about them. Try Rider's Choice for Dainese, I doubt you'll find a better deal elsewhere.

Are you referring to the infamous road racer mating dance?

LOL!

I just went thru the new suit conundrum. What helped me a lot was what Mina mentioned, under gear. I went with a VnM purchase and couldn't be happier.

They day I first wore the suit, not only did it hurt me, but I was literally stuck in it, by myself, in my apartment, after sweating in it for 12 hours during a muskoka ride. It took me nearly ten minutes to get it to start coming off. had a bit of a panic attack while trying to remove it ;)

After using the compression gear, it comes of with ease. Huge difference.

As far as getting out of the suit goes, buy some compression gear to wear underneath. It makes a huge difference and the side effect of keeping you cool and comfortable is a huge plus.

Though I haven't tried a W frame suit, in my previous research, it seems that people have nothing but positive things to say about them. Try Rider's Choice for Dainese, I doubt you'll find a better deal elsewhere.

Ok my two piece Alpinestars suit is just not cutting it for track days for me. I had bought it as a street suit and sized it for layering etc. I have also crashed it this year. So I am going to get a new suit for next year. I kind of figured I would just buy a Racer5 suit from Fawaz. I have seen them crashed numerous times and the price can't be beat, and I can't say enough nice things about Fawaz and Racer5.

I do have a slight hesitation though. I do want to get it appropriately snug fitting. I have watched many people do some strange acrobatics to pry themselves out of their leathers. I have dislocated both my shoulders in the past and am not excited about the prospect of attempting to do some shoulder gymnastics to get in and out of the suit which has me looking at W Frame suits. Anyone care to comment on the pros/cons of using one. (W frame suits are the ones with two zippers in the front not down the middle) The Dainese Aero EVO is the one I see most often. I did notice during my web research though that GP bikes has them on sale for 40% off currently which is great just not in my current size :( (no more burgers for me if I want to fit into a 56 euro).

Anyone use a two zipper one piece?

I was also looking at pilot suits since Bickle recommended them in another thread and noticed you can buy one of their sizing suits (the ones they send people for test fitting) for $850US. Seems like a good deal if you fit off the rack size which I think I do, I am 6'2 210 lbs currently which makes me I think a 48/58 in most suits. Although they are a single zipper as well.

Which lead me to looking at other custom suit makers and I came across Spartan Leathers. They make a w frame suit at a reasonable price off the rack or even custom fitted.

http://www.spartanleathers.com/motorcycle-leathers/elite-1pc-motorcycle-racing-leathers-custom

I do know that John Bickle said before custom and cheap don't go together so not really sure about them though.

I'm glad I have all winter to figure this out :) I am interested in hearing from others especially if you have opinions on W framed suits. Or just tell me to stop over thinking it and buy a Racer5 suit!

i have the dainnese aero (w style) pain in the *** to take it off with out inner wear.. with inner wear its still difficult until you get used to it.
pros: awesome flexibility and lots of ventilation both on/off bike.
cons: price.

I have never seen anyone putting on or taking off a suit without the "mating dance" ritual, not sure if you are looking for a unicorn. I find that taking the inner liner of the suit off really helps but then you have to use under gear for sure. I use the VnM under gear and I would highly recommend, plus Aliki is local.

I wear both zipper design styles. At 50+ years of age the 2 zipper is by far the hardest for entry and exit.

I've had my Racer5 suit for 3 years and I wouldn't even consider another suit.

Compression gear is a must but as someone who has also dislocated shoulders in the past, it still requires some very careful maneuvering to get out of.

Well,, I would stay away from the two zipper suits. Seems like they all fail in the zipper part on the bib. People leave them on and the bib part hanging,,busts the zipper teeth and ,,well,,then what do you do. A suit "HAS" to fit snug. If you have the shoulders too big you risk the armour moving. If the armour moves then it can hurt you. Plus it's not where it should be to protect you.
Custom,, well here's the deal. You,,anyone can buy suits out of Pakistan for less then a $150. I could sell custom suits tomorrow for $500. Guaranteed they would not fit anyone on this planet. I HAVE one. The arms are four inches too long the elbow armour is too low, the legs are 6 inches too long and the size 44 that I would wear off the rack,,is about a 38. So,,, deal with someone that has been around for ten years at least. The easy part is the sale. A long term dealer will have a good factory and has the measurement system down pat.
A lot of AMA guys wear Pilot. That's a plus. If you don't see a suit on a top rider,,then maybe we need to re-think this. There are lots of good stuff out there. But again, fit is most important. AND please understand the quality of everything has come down over the last 10 years. And I mean everything! So what was isn't!

Well,, I would stay away from the two zipper suits. Seems like they all fail in the zipper part on the bib. People leave them on and the bib part hanging,,busts the zipper teeth and ,,well,,then what do you do. A suit "HAS" to fit snug. If you have the shoulders too big you risk the armour moving. If the armour moves then it can hurt you. Plus it's not where it should be to protect you.
Custom,, well here's the deal. You,,anyone can buy suits out of Pakistan for less then a $150. I could sell custom suits tomorrow for $500. Guaranteed they would not fit anyone on this planet. I HAVE one. The arms are four inches too long the elbow armour is too low, the legs are 6 inches too long and the size 44 that I would wear off the rack,,is about a 38. So,,, deal with someone that has been around for ten years at least. The easy part is the sale. A long term dealer will have a good factory and has the measurement system down pat.
A lot of AMA guys wear Pilot. That's a plus. If you don't see a suit on a top rider,,then maybe we need to re-think this. There are lots of good stuff out there. But again, fit is most important. AND please understand the quality of everything has come down over the last 10 years. And I mean everything! So what was isn't!

Can you give elaborate abit on the quality has come down part?

I thought as technology improved we would get better products. Like the Dainese D-air suit is the new tech at affordable price, $2.5k. Astar air suit was in $5-6k range just 2-3 yrs ago.

Can you give elaborate abit on the quality has come down part?

I thought as technology improved we would get better products. Like the Dainese D-air suit is the new tech at affordable price, $2.5k. Astar air suit was in $5-6k range just 2-3 yrs ago.
I have a Dainese suit, they don't make them like before, the tech might be better (air bags etc) but the quality of materials and the stitching has definitely not improved IMO

I have a Dainese suit, they don't make them like before, the tech might be better (air bags etc) but the quality of materials and the stitching has definitely not improved IMO

Must be the outsourcing quality issue then. I got a leather Astar jacket , was very excited until i saw "Made in China" tag....(i bought online so i just kept it, the leather is stiff... gives you impression of protection for sure)

Must be the outsourcing quality issue then. I got a leather Astar jacket , was very excited until i saw "Made in China" tag....(i bought online so i just kept it, the leather is stiff... gives you impression of protection for sure)

Dainese owns its own production factories, although two are in different countries than Italy. They still produce their highest level gear at home, and I believe all of their tanning and leather QC occurs in Italy as well, which probably has a lot to do with their prices.

Not sure I agree with the decrease in quality, however. My previous suit was a Dainese Jack-F. All leather, even under the arms and crotch. It was a great suit for me but since moving to the Laguna Seca Pro 4 years ago, the LSP feels so much more comfortable you don't even think about it when on the bike. Different companies will have their evaluation of what is "appropriate protection", but a rider also has to feel comfortable and unrestricted when wearing it to be as safe as possible.

On quality, everything from the armour to the way they do the perf (and upgraded shoulder protection) is so much better now. And as far as I can tell, actually at a better relative price than even 5 years ago, and that's not even just Dainese. The market has gotten really competitive, so I think that a lot of brands are really stepping up to give the customer more for their money.

Thanks for the input guys. I do wear compression gear even under my current two piece which is of course very easy to remove. I am sad to hear from some people W Frame suit is also difficult to get off. I thought it would be substantially easier. Also said to hear from Bickle that the zippers become a weak spot. I guess there is a reason you don't see them built into too many suits.

Thanks for the input guys. I do wear compression gear even under my current two piece which is of course very easy to remove. I am sad to hear from some people W Frame suit is also difficult to get off. I thought it would be substantially easier. Also said to hear from Bickle that the zippers become a weak spot. I guess there is a reason you don't see them built into too many suits.

Can you ask someone to help you getting off the suit?

Only if you don't mind doing the "mating dance" with the random dude next to you in the pits.

You should ask Hedo lol

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

A* summer jacket I love, zipper is toast 2 yrs. out. I'd pay good money to have it replaced. Can that be done cost effectively? It seams like a lot of work. I mean labour intensive.

Back
Top Bottom