Need Advice on Insurance. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need Advice on Insurance.

There is a lot to read about new riders and insurance. Another guy, 20 yo, was asking the same questions. We did a long thread for him. Eventually he was quoted $1,500/yr for a used Ninja 250, liability only. He's M2 and a lot older than you are, so your premiums will be much higher. His issues will be very much the same as yours. Read the whole thread and then ask your questions.

I'm not even sure who will insure an M1, and if they do the premium will be higher than an M2.

Dirt experience is great as a skill to keep you alive but will does not affect your insurance premium. Your insurance covers you when you get hurt, and if/when others are hurt.

Don't even think about a super sport right now, as insurance will be huge for you.

Only way to know for sure is to call around and seek quotes. Riders Plus was very welcoming and helpful to me getting back into the sport as a re-licenced M1 rider recently so you could consider starting there, they are brokers and have a few options for actual underwriters.

But you have a LOT against you so far as getting a quote that you're apt to find reasonable. Male (presumably?), 16, little or no G licence experience, M1 with no safety course (unless you get your butt in gear and get it done in the next week or so as most are soon done for the year).

As for the bike, low CC is best when starting out. You don't want it to be financed or have a lien against it in any way as you'll have to carry full coverage which will likely end up at or near $1K/month. For liability coverage only the purchase price won't likely play much into the situation as if you wreck it, they don't have to fix it.

I agree with TB above, read the thread he linked above - lots of good reading there.

Unless you are very rich the CBR600F4 is going to be too expensive for a 16 year old. Like over $1000/month.

Prolly around $3500-4/yr for a 250

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

One million dollars.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

If you wait until spring you can take in a few of the local bike shows (usually Jan and March) and size up bikes. Insurers will be there also and so will be some schools. Getting your M-2 on a school bike will save you a fortune and agents may even talk to you if you have an M-2.

BTW save the crap about cheaper on gas. We buy bikes for fun. If you want cheap transportation buy a car.

It was my direct experience that years of riding mattered more than M1 vs M2. I got a few quotes where there was *no difference* between the end rate if I had my M2 before the policy was written vs M1 - in the end I had minimal months/years of experience and that's what the rate was based on.

But what is a new rider supposed to do in that situation though? Insurance companies won't look at previous on road experience if you weren't insured. So pretty much you can ride for...let's say 5 years uninsured and have plenty of experience but because you have never been insured prior, your insurance is still going to be expensive. Are you pretty much supposed to suck up the $3k+/year insurance for the first couple of years as a new rider?

Yup, life isn't fair. You have no history and therefore are treated as such.

16 year olds make good decisions, but a lot more bad ones. New riders also do this. Hence the price to play.

Your example was a bad one, who pays in an uninsured accident? We do. So the idea of you getting credit for riding uninsured is null.

Yes, you're supposed to "suck it up" and pay for insurance, exactly. And if you buy a reasonable sized bike to start your insurance might not be $3K/year...unless you have problems on your licence to begin with, at which point you may want to consider putting your biking dreams on hold for a few years.

And if if you think calling an insurance company and informing them you've got 3 or 4 years of experience but you gained it driving uninsured all that time is a good idea, well...hate to tell you, but they'll drop you like a hot potato at that exact moment or will quote you some astronomical rate tantamount to a "go screw yourself" love note.

I honestly hope you don't think just driving uninsured is a good idea in the meantime. You may want to look at the ramifications of that from not only a "getting caught" perspective, but for a "getting into an accident, hurting someone, and getting sued into oblivion and paying for it for the rest of your life" perspective.

Back
Top Bottom