Pedestrians with no sidewalk | GTAMotorcycle.com

Pedestrians with no sidewalk

Baggsy

Site Supporter
I just had an interesting conversation with a gentleman this morning, regarding being in the middle of the road.

He says that himself, his two daughters and his dog, are each entitled to two feet of roadway.

Is there any truth to that?

I was taught to walk single file, and can't find any references as to which is correct and legal.

I just had an interesting conversation with a gentleman this morning, regarding being in the middle of the road.

He says that himself, his two daughters and his dog, are each entitled to two feet of roadway.

Is there any truth to that?

I was taught to walk single file, and can't find any references as to which is correct and legal.

Duties of pedestrian when walking along highway
179. (1) Where sidewalks are not provided on a highway, a pedestrian walking along the highway shall walk on the left side thereof facing oncoming traffic and, when walking along the roadway, shall walk as close to the left edge thereof as possible. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 179 (1).
Idem
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a pedestrian walking a bicycle in circumstances where crossing to the left side of the highway would be unsafe. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 179 (2).

Duties of pedestrian when walking along highway
179. (1) Where sidewalks are not provided on a highway, a pedestrian walking along the highway shall walk on the left side thereof facing oncoming traffic and, when walking along the roadway, shall walk as close to the left edge thereof as possible. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 179 (1).
Idem
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a pedestrian walking a bicycle in circumstances where crossing to the left side of the highway would be unsafe. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 179 (2).

So, he was right? If there is already someone leftmost, then the others can just walk beside, and span the road?
It looks like Manitoba has a law that says no more than two abreast.

So, he was right? If there is already someone leftmost, then the others can just walk beside, and span the road?

Law says "a pedestrian". It does not allow for groups of pedestrian. Dad is one pedestrian. Daughters are one pedestrian each. Each one of the group is subject to the law and each must keep as far right as possible. In other words, walking single file only, period, just like bicycles are supposed to ride too.

No, he was not correct. Each pedestrian must walk as far to the side of the road as possible. It says nothing about a group. It specifies the left side because pedestrians should be walking toward the direction of traffic flow, so that they are aware of what's coming.

Not sure how that's any different from cars of motorcycles or bicycles, except for pedestrians being on the left instead of the right. None of them are allowed to block the road if there's room to move over.

Back
Top Bottom