RZ350 Stroker Motor | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

RZ350 Stroker Motor

Boyoboy

I'm traveling this week but have some stuff I can send you when i get home.

I also had an RDLC with a fast road tune from Mick Abbey at one time. That was really good. Mick tends to port to give you a good midrange instead of just all out top end so its nicer on the street. I have also heard good things about Bill Wilson Performance and Scott Clough but have not personally used them.

this would be great, thanks delboy.

Anybody have a set of cheap, beat up rz350 cases they'd like to sell/ get rid off?
I'd like to do some mock up over the winter.

No. This is my therapy. Some people like pot, some like a good scotch. I restore old Yamaha twins
icon_smile.gif

Both of those options would be cheaper and less addictive :) My brother used to race a RD....I rode his racebike on the street.....didn't want to run below 7,000 and i rode his RZ when he bought it new. Fun stuff!

Last edited:
Just picked this up last week. Its for the new project.

e891efd2-5e5f-4af2-9c0f-2933229b3d1d_zpssnhr0vgl.jpg

aa4b32c3-2edc-402a-b235-e4eaf6471c88_zpsurnbj8ap.jpg

20151124_084556_zps1pwf8eue.jpg

Anodized Billet Head with 22cc billet domes. Lovely piece of work. Should give me around 145PSI which will be perfect for this motor. It has a light port and will be getting a set of Gibson Large Can "Allspeeds" in black chrome. Not a performance build but should look very nice indeed.

I've managed to get all the major bits and pieces for my Motor.

I went with the +4 crank and the Serval with the NOSS head. Jeff at Farm and Sand was brilliant.

Arrow in the UK is rebuilding the oil pump for the 421.

I had one more question about pipes.

Kenny at TSA is not talking any more orders at the moment due to family issues. Is there anyone else you could recommend? The reason I ask is I'm in the UK at the moment so if they are in stock I can bring them back with me.

I've managed to get all the major bits and pieces for my Motor.

I went with the +4 crank and the Serval with the NOSS head. Jeff at Farm and Sand was brilliant.

Arrow in the UK is rebuilding the oil pump for the 421.

I had one more question about pipes.

Kenny at TSA is not talking any more orders at the moment due to family issues. Is there anyone else you could recommend? The reason I ask is I'm in the UK at the moment so if they are in stock I can bring them back with me.

In the UK you can try Mick Abbey or Gibson. I believe Gibson do a stroker pipe but i doubt if they have one in stock. They will probably have to build it for you.

Jim Lomas also makes a stroker pipe. The North American distributor for them is Fast From The Past.

I'd also reach out to Roger at Wicked ATV. I don't know if he still makes pipes but its worth a shot. You can also try Matt Shearer.

I'd also ping Glyn at GPL. I don't think he does pipes ever since his marine business took off but its worth a try. I have a set and I'm very pleased with them. Maybe things are slow in the winter :)

BTW. Good call on the oil pump. I don't have a pump on mine and its a real PITA

Last edited:
hey dellboy, i checked out the mick abbey site and he has a bunch of pics of 4LO RD350LC barrels with a fast road tune - look real nice.

i was wondering, did you ever run your rdlc 4LO mick abbey tuned barrels on a dyno? and if yes, would you care to give numbers? what carbs did ya run on it?

great thread guys.

hey dellboy, i checked out the mick abbey site and he has a bunch of pics of 4LO RD350LC barrels with a fast road tune - look real nice.

i was wondering, did you ever run your rdlc 4LO mick abbey tuned barrels on a dyno? and if yes, would you care to give numbers? what carbs did ya run on it?

great thread guys.

Yes. That was a while ago. I bought the barrels used from a guy in the UK and Pro 6 set it up for me.

It was 58hp on the Pro6 dyno - it could be +/- 5hp on another dyno as they don't measure the same :) and it was running a little on the rich side. I'd rather have that than looking for that last 2hp and having it seize :(

I've seen printouts around 70 for that motor but with his fast road tune it all about midrange and that was up significantly.

On that bike I ran Keihin PWK28's. I could even dig out the jetting if you need a starting point. Its the same carb that you find on the KX85 and 100 and back then it was cheaper to buy from a Kawasaki dealer than Sudco. It was running TSA pipes that I also bought with the cylinders but it was the old pipes made to Mick Abbey's spec.

It also had a Zeeltronic PCDI-10T but I put the regular CDI back on when I sold it.

Boyoboy. I found the jetting for the PWK28's. It will give you a good place to start

Main Jet: 155
Pilot Jet: 42
Needle: JJH with clip in the middle groove
Air Screw 1 1/2 turns out

As I said it ran a bit rich. You may be able to get away with a 152 and 40 combo.

Yes. That was a while ago. I bought the barrels used from a guy in the UK and Pro 6 set it up for me.

It was 58hp on the Pro6 dyno - it could be +/- 5hp on another dyno as they don't measure the same :) and it was running a little on the rich side. I'd rather have that than looking for that last 2hp and having it seize :(

I've seen printouts around 70 for that motor but with his fast road tune it all about midrange and that was up significantly.

On that bike I ran Keihin PWK28's. I could even dig out the jetting if you need a starting point. Its the same carb that you find on the KX85 and 100 and back then it was cheaper to buy from a Kawasaki dealer than Sudco. It was running TSA pipes that I also bought with the cylinders but it was the old pipes made to Mick Abbey's spec.

It also had a Zeeltronic PCDI-10T but I put the regular CDI back on when I sold it.

those are good numbers for the old 350 elsie. definitely would be an entertaining ride for me. thx dboy

Boyoboy. I found the jetting for the PWK28's. It will give you a good place to start

Main Jet: 155
Pilot Jet: 42
Needle: JJH with clip in the middle groove
Air Screw 1 1/2 turns out

As I said it ran a bit rich. You may be able to get away with a 152 and 40 combo.

hey dellboy, having a starting point is a huge help. especially valuable to me is the needle choice. I dont mind changing mains and pilots, but i have never done any jetting that req'd a needle change - i most likely would have been lost there. I should ask if you were running the stock air box, although with your healthy hp numbers I would guess you ran pods. Is this correct? thx again.

hey dellboy, having a starting point is a huge help. especially valuable to me is the needle choice. I dont mind changing mains and pilots, but i have never done any jetting that req'd a needle change - i most likely would have been lost there. I should ask if you were running the stock air box, although with your healthy hp numbers I would guess you ran pods. Is this correct? thx again.

Yes. You're right. It was with pods as the original boots wouldn't fit. I have heard that RGV carb boots will let you run the original air box but I have not tried it myself

OK. Getting ready to start this thing :) Very excited.

I realize this is a loaded question but what oil do you recommend?

I realize this is a loaded question but what oil do you recommend?

It is loaded. Its almost a loaded as the climate change debate :)

I don't know if you ended up having Arrow rebuild the pump. If you did then a good quality oil formulated for injectors will be fine. I run Motul 710 and its been good.

If it has no pump then I much prefer a castor based oil. For a street bike I run Maxima 927 at 32:1. Its recommended by Willy at WASP and he has forgotten more about 2 strokes than the rest of us will even know. I know people think of castor as being messy, but the modern stuff is de-gummed and runs really clean even on bikes with power valves.

If its for the track I use Morris MLR30 - http://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/products/moto/castor-engine-oils/mlr-30-castor-racing-oil.html It uses a synthetic base that eliminates a lot of the deposits and spooge but still has the castor protection. Now if they could only bottle that smell and use it as deodorant or aftershave.

For the transmission use Maxima MTL80.

I've had good success with these.

Most shops will have or can get the Motul or Maxima. Morris is more difficult I don't think they ship to Canada. You may want to try Mike Partridge locally or Classic Oils in the UK can ship.

DO NOT use real Castor oil unless you want to be married to it.
Castor oil sticks like no other oil, that's the good part, but clots when mixed with any petrol based oils... and it settles out of the fuel... and it's harder to find. In my race bikes I only run Castor oil. It's the best.

In a bike that isn't at red line it's entire life you can't go wrong with any of the quality name brand synth oils. Even the cheapest 2T oil that Crappy Tire sells, part synth, is miles ahead of what the bike was designed for.

Use any gearlube in the transmission that is rated GL4. some are rated both GL4 and GL5, that's OK but you need the GL4 for the yellow metal parts in the transmission. (They have made incredible advances in gear oil technologies. The new stuff pours like water but has a viscosity of 100)

Thanks guys.

Yes. I had arrow rebuild the pump for the 421.

Willy did some port matching for me on the crank cases and I did end up getting the crank from Roger at Wicked. They both said Motul 710 with the pump so 3 votes for is good enough for me :)

No Problem. I have 2 pumps to be rebuilt. Running premix on the street is a Pain in the ***.

Roger does a good crank. I believe he used Hot Rod rods with improved big end bearings and they stand up well in his 120HP Banshees

The other thing to bear in mind is that you don't have an RZ350 any more. You may be using the cases and the 2 transmission shafts but everything else is from a this century :) The cylinders are Nikasil, every thing is tighter tolerances and you will probably have gone from 40 HP at the rear wheel to near 80. If Willy recommends the Motul I would run in, feed her well :)

BTW. How's the gas tank working out for you. Any leaks?

Last edited:
Perfect. I had it pressure tested before I had the paint done. Thanks for everything.

I also got the high flow TZ Tap from Norbo.

I came across this board when this thread showed up a search. I just wanted to say there is some great advice here from Delboy

I have 3 RZ 350's and 2 RZ 500's. One RZ is a stroker for the track based on the Cheetah Cub and one is for the street based on the Serval. Both are just wicked good so please enjoy responsibility.

PM me once its ready. Maybe we could meet somewhere.

Rekindling this post - now its my turn to build a RZ street motor with a bit of kick - any one still around intetrsted in building me a motor for a project RZ street bike? (want to mount the engine in a light 125 chassis) :)

Back
Top Bottom