RZ350 Stroker Motor | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

RZ350 Stroker Motor

If you have question, dumb or not, ask them here so everyone can profit from them.

Can't agree with this statement more! I would be a shame to loose valuable discussions and information in PMs.

This is a great discussion with people that have real world experience with these engines.
I'm on a bunch of rz350 & 2stroke forums, there isn't one thread where anyone is able to offer up good comparison info.
There are also alot of named local resources that will come in handy.

I'm about 2 years from building mine as I've got another project on the go. The stroker is next in line... but I will definitely have more questions in the near future.

Thanks bitzz and Delboy for taking the time to help out.

I hate to ask but do you think it would be possible to take a look at mine?

I could have a look at the rust but you would have to get it to me quickly, like today or over the weekend. I'm doing something new at work so will be gone from Toronto as of November 2nd but won't be busy next week.

I would also suggest that if its for a nice street bike I'm not the person you want to paint it, and I probably won't be able to as I have no heat in the little outbuilding I use as a booth. My painting is track bike quality. I don't know if CarbonCat or CheekeeBandito (Les) still paint but I would start with them. I can do the metal repair if they can do the bodywork and paint.

Last edited:
It depends on who you get to do the machining but they normally insert the dowels at the same time.

I always think its better if you use 2. 1 will lock it front to back and side to side but 2 will stop it from rotating as well

It depends on who you get to do the machining but they normally insert the dowels at the same time.

I always think its better if you use 2. 1 will lock it front to back and side to side but 2 will stop it from rotating as well

I use 4. Two on each barrel, that way you locate the barrels.
When the machinist puts the pins in, the time and money is spent on setup for the first hole, after the first hole is done, it is simple to do the others.

It is also not a bad idea to upgrade the through bolts/studs that hold down the head and barrels.
1) Those bolts are 30 years old and probably stretched
2) They weren't that strong when they were new.
I use Unbrako bolts http://unbrako.com/ (you have to cut the heads off and thread that end, a bit of work but there is nothing stronger that is readily available)(oh... yeah... they're not cheap).

Ever notice that when you squeak the left side that the base gasket on the right is thrashed? ...and maybe ALSO squeaked....
That's what we're trying to stop here.
I seldom run a base gasket, and always a copper head gasket.

Yes. 2 :) That's a total of 4 as there are 2 cylinders.

Its interesting that you run a head gasket. I don't. I'll either have the head or barrel o-ringed, or if I'm using NOSS or the Athena heads they come o-ringed. The more pressure the better an o-ring seals in compression.

I always do use a base gasket though, and I normally put a light coat of spray copper on it. 90% of the seizures I've had are either due to the left base gasket leaking, or stator seal leaking. I use the one piece 0.060 from Tony Doukas. It keeps the port timing spot on.

I'm going to give those bolts a try though. The ARP's are $30 for 2 now. Grainger have them in stock. Good find.

Last edited:
A subscription to "Practical Sportsbikes" out of the UK would be a great investment also. There's so much 2-stroke love there and they're always doing fun builds that can be learned from.

One more question.

Are the Indian tanks on Ebay any good? I have some pinholes and am having a hard time finding something better.
i have a 85 tank in my dads garage want it if it's good I'll trade for beer

i have a 85 tank in my dads garage want it if it's good I'll trade for beer

I'll take it if he doesn't.
I have more beer than RZ tanks.

If the Indian tanks are made by the same guy as the Norton tanks, from India, the guy that WAS making them died, then his son took over and it all went to hell... he must have figured it out cuz' now they're as good as dad's tanks.

I run a head gasket because it is the best way I know of to change the compression ratio/squish without screwing with port timing.
I have a RD400 with stupid compression, so BOTH the head and the barrels are O ringed and I run copper gaskets. The copper gaskets weren't enough.
This way I can easily take some bees out it for Mosport.

So this is normally where these tanks go. This one is a RZ but the RD ones rot in the same places

The bottom outside at the low points. Any water in the fuel just lies there. You can see its also rotten right underneath between the edge and the seam. BTW, it looks like house paint on it :)

IMG_00206_zpssqtnel4e.jpg

And on the inside

IMG_00207_zps9qo2akpz.jpg

Don't use bondo to cover rust :)

IMG_00209_zpszsjfodq5.jpg

Metal cut out and replaced. The hard bit is recreating the right shape. I had to do this with three pieces, You can still see a little tiny ridge on the seam but that will be covered by the side panel

IMG_00226_zpsjdcxtlav.jpg

Same for the inside. New lug installed as well

IMG_00229_zpsvz5mjyjf.jpg

Front pulled out and fixed.

IMG_00236_zpsc79qy5bv.jpg

The fuel filler still had the masking tape on it and I haven't wet sanded and buffed yet so its not mirror smooth but you get the idea. I wanted to post this just to show you that even a tank that looks really far gone can have years of service left in it. Do not throw it out :)

BTW, this tank was advertised on Kijiji as "good condition, just needs liner"

This looks Bloody Good!!! Do you do this for a living? Just sent you a PM.

The 443 was a kit I had on an old banshee. It’s the CPI Serval block that they describe as a “Dune port” for playing around. It probably makes it peak power by 8500 rpm but just pulls like a train from about 4 to 8.5, its like a four stroke. It’s very linear and has a lot of torque. It’s really good for the street, probably not so good from the track. That one has a NOSS head and PWK 39’s. It has Matt Shearer pipes that I modified to fit the RZ frame. It also has a RD350LC generator. I bought the barrels, head and crank as a kit from Farm and Sand Toys Racing. Jeff is one of the cheapest around

Can you tell me a little more about the 443?

I was offered an 86 an am thinking about picking it up. Its all their except for the Cylinders and Head that he already sold. The thing that stopped me was I couldn't find original barrels that were serviceable.

I had a friend in Calgary that build a Cheetah Cub based 443 and it was very peaky, that's what kind of put me off. He races it so it was fine but I don't want that for the street.

I understand that for 7mm you have to trench the cases is that correct?

What advice could you give me to get started?

Yes. The Cheetah Cub will be a lot peakier :)

The Serval Cub and the Cheetah Cub are both made by the same company – CPI industries and the blocks were originally designed for the Yamaha Banshee. The biggest difference between them is the porting if you compare the port map of the Serval with the port map of the Cheetah Cub (below) you will see that the ports on the Serval are a lot “lower”.

Portmap_6554_large1_zps6jwlkbac.jpg

Port%20layout%20for%20CPI-SW7258-115%20Serval_Wampus_zpsdzqqyvb3.jpg

For example the top of the exhaust port on the Cheetah Cub is at 1.070 inches from the top of the cylinder and the top of the exhaust port on the Serval is at 1.218 inches from the top of the cylinder. The transfer ports are also lower, as is the inlet (to a large extent)

So basically, the effect of “lowering” the ports will provide an engine that is much less peaky but tends to develop its peak power lower in the rev range and can produce a lot more torque.

If the Banshee is for racing or drag-racing, the Cheetah Cub will probably be a better barrel. For playing around in the sand dunes or on trails, or the street, the Serval is a better barrel.

You can build both with a standard crank (392cc) a +4 crank (421cc) or a +7 crank (443cc) and they will always maintain these characteristics and they will translate through to your road bike. You can also get a Cheetah with power valves but that’s a whole different story - and price :)

You don’t have to go with a +7 crank for the Serval. I did just because I had one. The +4 will work just fine and no trenching. I wouldn’t expect there will be a lot of difference anyway. If you use the +4 its a drop in.

You can buy the Serval at most places that sells Banshee parts. I normally deal with Jeff Wendorff at Farm and Sand toys and his prices are great and there is no quibble over anything if it needs to go back

These are the barrels you will need. http://www.farmandsandtoys.com/partdetail.asp?partid=403 Jeff also does a cleanup port so they are ready to drop in and can supply the right pistons for a Standard, +4 or +7 crank.

You will also need a head. There are a number of good options including the CoolHead and Roger’s Banshee over at Wicked ATV. I have been running this Noss one on my Serval bike -

http://www.nossmachine.com/banshee_heads.htm

- You can also buy this head from Jeff.

You’ll notice that it comes in three pieces. The head its self is really just a holder for the combustion chambers or domes –

dome1.jpg

that are interchangeable. That way you can change things like the combustion chamber volume or the squish just by swapping in new domes at $60 a pair. With Noss you can also use the ProDesign or Coolhead domes. Domes for this cylinder start at 15cc and work up. I would start with 21cc and go down from there if you have to but 21 will be very close. I’d also run about 0.8/0.9mm squish on the road. Tell them you’re using Wiesco 10018M’s with the 68mm bore and Jeff will be able to mill you the right domes. Just check the squish clearance when building the engine :)

These heads are also o-ringed which is nice. You can see the groove for the o-ring around the combustion chamber and around the outside of the water jacket –

nosshead5.jpg

Almost all performance 2 strokes are o-ringed today. They seal much better than a gasket and need much less torque to seal properly + they are reusable.

The problem for a street bike is that these heads don’t have a thermostat. If it’s race bike you can generally get away with it but I noticed in the spring (April/May) and fall (September/October) the temperature gauge sits in the cold, I just got a KTM inline thermostat from GP Bikes and put that inline between the head and the rad.

The other thing that you will have to do is have the outlet cut and welded so that it no longer sticks straight out but bends upwards at 90 degrees. The RZ rad and Banshee rad are different and mounted in different places.

As for cranks you have many options, just stay away from the ebay cranks. I have had good success with cranks from TSS (closed down), Wicked ATV, PJME, and Hot-rods. If you do go the Hot-rods route, I normally have someone like Willie at WASP press them apart and install genuine TZ350 big ends. I’m not a huge fan of their big ends but the do make some good rods. They are probably fine as is though. There are there are a lot of +100HP Banshees’ running them. These are 4 after market cranks I have personally tried and would be willing to recommend.

For the cylinder base gaskets try to stay with a one piece in recommended thickness – 0.020”. CPI recommends 0.020” for this block and it keeps the port timing right. Tony Doukas does a nice one. A good trick is to put a light coat of spray copper gasket on both sides as it sticks like glue the crankcase. It’s a PITA to get the barrels off and scrape the gasket but it cuts down on the possibility to get an air leak on the right or left side of the block. That will kill the motor. They also need to be torqued correctly (18 ft/lb). You need a crows foot wrench on the torque wrench or torque wrench extender to do this. Not torqueing properly is the #1 cause of leaks between the barrel and crankcase.

For Carbs I like Keihin PWK’s I think a set of 35’s will work really well on this motor. You can order them from Jeff or from Sudco but you will have to jet. I would start with 165 mains, 45 pilots and a CGL needed one notch from the bottom, air screw 2 turns out and work down from there. I would take it to Pro6 and have Sandy do it on the Dyno. That man has forgotten more about 2 strokes that the rest of us will ever know :)

PWK 35’s are used on a number of Kawasaki and Suzuki dirtbikes. I’ll dig out the models but it’s generally cheaper to buy a replacement carb from a dealer. Sudco want about 150 each for PWK28’s. I just bought a set from a Kawasaki dealer as they are fitted to a KX85 and KX 100 for $95 each. You have to rejet anyway.

As for pipes the choices are becoming limited. There is TSA in the UK or Matt Shearer in California. GPL is no longer in the tuning business. I don’t believe Roger at Wicked is doing pipes any more. Let me think about this one. JL may do a set for this motor

You will also need one of Wicked’s billet manifolds to lift the big carbs above the clutch arm.

You won’t be able to use your air box any more so a set of foam pods work well. Just make sure they are all foam and don’t have the metal on the ends

You will need a high flow fuel tap from Pingel or Norbo in the UK does a good one. Get rid of that stupid Vacuum thing.

While you are in the motor get a set of these - http://www.fastfromthepast.com/97-0290 - No point taking a chance with 30 year old transmission bearings. You also want to pull the gears from the transmission shafts and make sure there is no galling between the gear and the shaft. You can’t see with without removing them. New circlips are cheap and good insurance.

The standard clutch basket will support up to 100Hp, but they are getting old and the fingers tend to get grooves. This is a nice alternative. http://www.farmandsandtoys.com/partdetail.asp?partid=494 I’ve been using them on my track bike and it’s been bullet proof. It’s been on there 5 years.

If you’re running the oil pump send it to Arrow in the UK to have him re stroke it for the bigger bore. I’m not running a pump at the moment so it’s a real pain in the ***.

I think that’s about all you need to do although I'm sure I've forgotten something.

You may want to think about replacing the motor mounts as 30 year old rubber is not good :)

Just my impressions of the Motor. I don’t really miss the power valves. It pulls like a train from around 3.5 or 4 to around 8.5 and it’s very linear. It seems to make its peak power around 8.5. It will still rev over that but why? It’s much more powerful that the standard 350. It was around 87 on Sandy’s dyno but it is ride-able. The power doesn't come in like a hockey stick. You can play around with gearing to get something you like. for the street I'm running 17/39

Edit: I knew I forgot something. A Zeeltronic would be nice but not a necessity. I have a few good curves you can try

Edit: I knew there was something else. you will need a set of VForce 4 reeds. and I made a mistake on the Wiseco part number. You need 795M's. The 10018M's are for the Super Wampus Block. You can tell what I'm thinking about :)

Last edited:
If the Indian tanks are made by the same guy as the Norton tanks, from India, the guy that WAS making them died, then his son took over and it all went to hell... he must have figured it out cuz' now they're as good as dad's tanks.

I think its a different guy, Would you put this on your bike :)

DSC09084_zpsfxbuqapl.jpg

^^^ Thanks for this Delboy. This is incredibly detailed. I'm doing to make the guy an offer on his 86.

This is very helpful. Thank you for this.

What is the difference between a Serval and Wampus?

Not a lot. The Wampus casting is the same as the OEM Yamaha casting. I guess if you were building a sleeper it would help. The Serval and Cheetah have a little more meat on the casting so that's why you have to swap out the base studs. There is also a little bit more room for the ports as the casting is different so it flows better.

great thread. would you know of a source who supplies OEM like headgaskets in a variety of thickness (LC350)?

I had one on a street bike that I bought from a guy on Ebay called coppergasket63. The store is Copper Gaskets Unlimited. Mine was .032" but I understand he can do other thickness's as he just CNC's them out of copper sheet. His prices are very good as well.

A couple of guys in the VRRA have used this company - http://www.headgasket.com/gaskets.html - Not cheap but can make whatever thickness you want.

Last edited:
thanks delboy, terrific link for headgaskets.

the different port maps you posted were interesting to compare side by side, along with their different states of tune

do you have any experience with port work for the 81-82 rd350lc?

Boyoboy

I'm traveling this week but have some stuff I can send you when i get home.

I also had an RDLC with a fast road tune from Mick Abbey at one time. That was really good. Mick tends to port to give you a good midrange instead of just all out top end so its nicer on the street. I have also heard good things about Bill Wilson Performance and Scott Clough but have not personally used them.

Back
Top Bottom