Modifications and Insurance policy | GTAMotorcycle.com

Modifications and Insurance policy

Hey everyone,

Bought a new bike today, dealer told me it just had a slip-on exhaust. To my surprise when I removed the seat today I see a power commander after I had told the insurance agent that the bike had no modifications.

I am worried now, that in the case of an accident (God forbid) they will notice the modified exhaust and power commander and void my policy. If this were to happen, I wouldn't care if they didn't replace the exhaust just that my policy would be void.

Anyone have experience with this? Any thoughts? I'm only 20 and this is my first year of riding so I'm a little worried that if I were to bring it up they would cancel my policy on the spot. With Aviva if this makes any difference

Cheers

Keep quiet or get a stock pipe and remove the pc if you are paranoid

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

internet is funny this way - you'll hear stories from guys that have had no issues with mods being reimbursed etc, and then you have those that were hosed and got the claim denied.

you're supposed to declare the mods - it's a question asked right to you - so if you lie, you're making a false declaration. Will they ding you? who knows?

in short, you do what you think you should cuz in the end, if you listen to the internet and just hide the goods, and you get a claim voided, what can you say? "the internet said to, so it must be good advice!"

It can go either way dude.

While the slip on is generally fine several companies I talked to did not like Power Commanders as they consider that a "power mod".

Hey everyone,

Bought a new bike today, dealer told me it just had a slip-on exhaust. To my surprise when I removed the seat today I see a power commander after I had told the insurance agent that the bike had no modifications.

I am worried now, that in the case of an accident (God forbid) they will notice the modified exhaust and power commander and void my policy. If this were to happen, I wouldn't care if they didn't replace the exhaust just that my policy would be void.

Anyone have experience with this? Any thoughts? I'm only 20 and this is my first year of riding so I'm a little worried that if I were to bring it up they would cancel my policy on the spot. With Aviva if this makes any difference

Cheers

You can always call your insurer and ask hypothetically how it will effect you if you were to get a power commander. If you're scared that they'd trace it back to you, just call in with all the usual information for a quote with the mod.

Better figure out how it effects you now rather than hoping it won't be an issue later on.

if you don't need the PC just remove it ... usually its a click-in affair ... when I installed it on an R6 I remember only disconnecting 2 cables and replugging this in the middle meant 4 new connectors total.

Did not read thread:

Call your broker or agent directly, ask if a slip-on exhaust is alright, if they ask say all it does is change the exhaust note (this is mostly true). And make sure you have some sort of invoice or proof that it holds its own value. When I put the Arrow system on my old Daytona, State Farm said it's 100% covered as long as I had an invoice or proof of purchase.

I can almost guarantee you that the Power Commander is a no-go and will not be missed by an adjuster if you're unable to remove it after a crash

What's the bike worth?
In the case of a small crash you probably won't want to make a claim as it will screw you for rates later. In the case of a big crash you probably won't care about the bike...
Most of the cost of insurance is to fix you, not the bike.

Bob

Sent from my mobile

Hey everyone,

Cheers

which insurance co are you with?
l know that state farm/certas/dejardanis are very concerned with performance mod'd bikes or cars (even lowered car bumper heights).
So it depends on your insurance co how much of an issue it is.

Back
Top Bottom