Take care when selling a car on your own: Roseman | GTAMotorcycle.com

Take care when selling a car on your own: Roseman

It's an added complication when the vehicle hasn't been certified or the buyer hasn't lined up insurance yet. It could mean that there could be a delay from the time of sale till the time of registration and the seller now has to hound the buyer to change ownership.

There's gotta be a better system where the seller can relinquish ownership of the vehicle, point the MTO to the new owner's driver's license and then have MTO hound the new buyer to register the vehicle.

But we all know that's never going to happen. After all, why make the MTO actually work for that 13% sales tax every time a used vehicle changes hands...? :rolleyes:

Even if the buyer does not have insurance and the vehicle is sold "as is" the ownership can still be transferred as "unfit unplated" to the new owner. As the article states, do not let the vehicle out of your sight until the new owner's name is on the ownership. It can be done. These buyers of cheap cars prey on the unknowing and trusting public to subsidize their activities, don't let it happen to you.

Sellers are told they have the “option” of visiting a Service Ontario centre to report their used vehicle as sold – providing a letter with the buyer’s and seller’s name, date of sale and vehicle information number or VIN.

That's it right there. I've never done it myself for the many previous vehicles sold, but I'm going to in the future.

That's it right there. I've never done it myself for the many previous vehicles sold, but I'm going to in the future.
That's what I'm hoping others will get out of this post as well.
My concern was for you SS riders. Someone buys your bike, doesn't register, rides with stolen plates and no insurance. Something happens and it comes back to bite you in the @$$. And I'm not picking on SS riders, btw.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

I've had it happen to me with a car that had a blown engine being sold to my boss.

I always write up a bill of sale of the date, time, and milage that the car changed hands. Would this be enough in the event that the buyer is a scumbag?

I always write up a bill of sale of the date, time, and milage that the car changed hands. Would this be enough in the event that the buyer is a scumbag?

In the event of an at fault crash the court tends to protect the victim. If you have the deeper pockets you end up footing the bill but you can go after the new owner in separate litigation if you want to and can afford the legal costs. Do you really want that expense? If the new owner is broke he claims bankruptcy and you're left holding the bag.

My wife works for an insurance company and has seen the million plus settlement cheques.

Adding to this is the test ride / drive. In the event of the rider / driver having an at fault it goes on your insurance. Five to seven years of double insurance rates and you'll wish you had scrapped the vehicle.

I think you'd need to include the VIN, names of buyer and seller, and signatures of both as well on the same sheet of paper, then taken into a service ontario location to report the car as sold to be absolutely safe from what I've read.

Back
Top Bottom