Android Phone - LG G4 or Nexus 6P | GTAMotorcycle.com

Android Phone - LG G4 or Nexus 6P

Chasem

Let me preface this with the fact I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4, which i'm starting to absolutely despise. I use it heavily for business, and it's constantly letting me down.

A few issues:

* GPS is almost non-functional now. It can be off by 10KM, and updates about once a minute sometimes (Pretty frustrating as I use my phone GPS to find customer locations....)
* Incredibly poor reception. I'm 2KM away from the tower and my signal strength is currently -120dBm
* Device is very slow, sometimes takes 5-10 seconds to even open the app drawer / multitask.
* Dropped phone calls.

Tried wiping the phone several times, no dice. I have a sneaking suspicion all the vibration from my KTM 690 Enduro did a number on it.

I know the Nexus 6P isn't out yet.... but I'm slightly concerned with the Snapdragon 810 overheating issue, lack of SD card (which I use) and non-removeable battery. Basically I want an android phone that has a large screen, fast and reliable. Samsung is completely out of the question, will not get the Note 5.

LG G4 looks perfect, but lacks a finger print reader... which I use. Being able to get something like this http://www.amazon.com/Extended-Batt...942557&sr=8-1&keywords=lg+g4+hyperion+battery would be pretty sweet for the G4.

Any suggestions? Am I missing anything?

An iphone.

I use applications that are android specific, and I store large customer documents on the SD card. I had an iPhone 6+ for a little bit, but had to go back to android.

I just got a g4 yesterday, it is awesome, but I only have the nexus 4 to compare it to.

The LG bloat is better than the Samsung bloat. (wife has an s4, so I've tried and don't like touchwiz and other Samsung garbage)

Thanks for the link to that battery. Mine doesn't seem to be draining fast anyway, but always good to have a backup.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

G4 is good stuff if you don't want the pure nexus phone. Personally I'd take the 6p but whatever. I'm sick of waiting for updates from OEMs. I have a g3 now, g2 before that. Excellent phones from a performance point.

I use applications that are android specific, and I store large customer documents on the SD card. I had an iPhone 6+ for a little bit, but had to go back to android.
Blackberry Leap, I have a corporate one and it has a huge screen, sd card, I use GPS with Waze everyday and it works great and it has access to all Android apps, you can even download and use google play on it. Battery life is fantastic, way better than the Z10.

I am not a BB fan but I like this phone.

Also like to have Fm on my phone, connect it to the head set and listen to FM radio on the helmet. I am sure other phones have it but i have never before

Blackberry-Leap-Re2-780.jpg

Last edited:
What's the draw ^^^?? It doesn't have a physical keyboard, and if you're just gonna run Google apps on it then why even get it at all? Crap screen and camera (relative to competition) + mediocre processor.. not seeing the appeal.

Answering the OP, I never said it is the best phone out there, I said it has all the features and characteristics the OP was looking for. I don't think he mentioned the camera or physical keyboard and in regards to the screen he said size and nothing else. I don't know what you mean by crap screen? it seems fine to me, even works with gloves. It also takes me less than a second to open any app

Since the Android phone he bought has bad GPS capabilities, I was offering him an alternative that will run the android apps he needs.

What is it with people getting so emotional about phones lol.

What's the draw ^^^?? It doesn't have a physical keyboard, and if you're just gonna run Google apps on it then why even get it at all? Crap screen and camera (relative to competition) + mediocre processor.. not seeing the appeal.

Last edited:
Huh? Stating facts, dawg. Don't get so defensive. Specs on that phone are crapola compared to the competition. My point about lack of keyboard is that it tends to be the MAIN draw of getting a blackberry phone. If it doesn't have that, and it lacks any other competitive edge, whats the point?

Will probably get the G4 as it seems to meet all my requirements, sans finger print reader.

I like the look of the Nexus 6P but with the heat issues of the snapdragon 810, non removable battery and no microSD card slot make it no so attractive.

Will probably get the G4 as it seems to meet all my requirements, sans finger print reader.

I like the look of the Nexus 6P but with the heat issues of the snapdragon 810, non removable battery and no microSD card slot make it no so attractive.

I had a Samsung S4 before and had a big micro SD card in it but there were all sorts of issues with read errors and unmounting problems with the sim and sd card after a while. I read around a bit and found that the phones are all slowed a little with sd cards in them. I got a good deal on an S6 edge and I love it. Got a 64GB version and it's snappy and stable and I don't miss the sd card. There's a 128GB version too if you need the memory and this also comes in. "+" size for screen real estate. I was wary to go with Samsung again but there's a reason this is the #1 phone in the world right now. The deal I got was a discount on the phone such that a $1000 off contract phone price cost me $59 with a 2yr contract with Robbers with essentially not much of a change to my business plan. I needed a new phone, got Spotify for 2y that I was already paying for plus got pretty good roaming features too that I'll use. Came out ahead in the end over what I had before.

S6 has fingerprint reader and a lot of other gizmos plus top notch camera and wireless and quick charging which is awesome.

Let me preface this with the fact I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4, which i'm starting to absolutely despise. I use it heavily for business, and it's constantly letting me down.

A few issues:

* GPS is almost non-functional now. It can be off by 10KM, and updates about once a minute sometimes (Pretty frustrating as I use my phone GPS to find customer locations....)
* Incredibly poor reception. I'm 2KM away from the tower and my signal strength is currently -120dBm
* Device is very slow, sometimes takes 5-10 seconds to even open the app drawer / multitask.
* Dropped phone calls.

Tried wiping the phone several times, no dice. I have a sneaking suspicion all the vibration from my KTM 690 Enduro did a number on it.

I know the Nexus 6P isn't out yet.... but I'm slightly concerned with the Snapdragon 810 overheating issue, lack of SD card (which I use) and non-removeable battery. Basically I want an android phone that has a large screen, fast and reliable. Samsung is completely out of the question, will not get the Note 5.

LG G4 looks perfect, but lacks a finger print reader... which I use. Being able to get something like this http://www.amazon.com/Extended-Batt...942557&sr=8-1&keywords=lg+g4+hyperion+battery would be pretty sweet for the G4.

Any suggestions? Am I missing anything?
I just picked the Note 5 today, so far so good. gps locks on quick, apps load good. I really like the note taking feature with the phone turned off. I got bored with my LG G3

I've had my G4 for about a month now. Upgraded from a note 2. Only thing I miss are the capacitive touch buttons (I think that's what they're called). Other than that, the G4 has been excellent. Battery life is amazing, I've gotten 5.5 hours of screen on time without battery saver on and average probably around 4-4.5. It also sucks if you like to keep it on a table. It rocks since it's got a curved back.

I'd stick with the G4 in your case

I had a Samsung S4 before and had a big micro SD card in it but there were all sorts of issues with read errors and unmounting problems with the sim and sd card after a while. I read around a bit and found that the phones are all slowed a little with sd cards in them. I got a good deal on an S6 edge and I love it. Got a 64GB version and it's snappy and stable and I don't miss the sd card. There's a 128GB version too if you need the memory and this also comes in. "+" size for screen real estate. I was wary to go with Samsung again but there's a reason this is the #1 phone in the world right now. The deal I got was a discount on the phone such that a $1000 off contract phone price cost me $59 with a 2yr contract with Robbers with essentially not much of a change to my business plan. I needed a new phone, got Spotify for 2y that I was already paying for plus got pretty good roaming features too that I'll use. Came out ahead in the end over what I had before.

S6 has fingerprint reader and a lot of other gizmos plus top notch camera and wireless and quick charging which is awesome.

I just picked the Note 5 today, so far so good. gps locks on quick, apps load good. I really like the note taking feature with the phone turned off. I got bored with my LG G3

I've had A Samsung Galaxy, S3, S4, Note 3, Note 4.... Getting reeaaaaaal tired of Samsung bloatware and their freaking touchwiz. As an example, fresh install on the Note 4 and i'm constantly getting spammed with Knox stuff, security policy updates, Samsung Account logins, updates to samsung apps which I cannot remove.. etc. Just a hideous user experience. Loved the apple user experience, but the android flexibility wins over. I use many android specific features, that I can't get around.

Too bad no Google Play edition of the Samsung Note series....

There's an app that works wonders for the bloat ware called package disabler but I used it to remove/disable some Knox rubbish too. You can always turn it back on if needed too.

Blackberry Leap,

I have to agree here. I'm probably the biggest BB fan on this forum (you'll have to pull the keyboard from my cold dead hands), but the Leap is a poor effort. IMHO, the Z30 is a better phone.

However, coming out soon is the BlackBerry Priv (for privacy). The first BB featuring a 'secure' version of full Android right out of the box. Has the same processor as LG G4, QuadHD display, 18MP camera, 64bit, 4k capability, huge *** battery, SD card capable, curved screen like the Sammy S6 and best of all..... a slide out keyboard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaL8QhdWuKU

Last edited:
There's an app that works wonders for the bloat ware called package disabler but I used it to remove/disable some Knox rubbish too. You can always turn it back on if needed too.
Just stop/disable any unwanted apps in application manager.

Just stop/disable any unwanted apps in application manager.

That's simply impossible on Samsung phones without rooting it. I DO root my phones, but it seems ridiculous that you have to do that.

Most of the applications are installed as "System" applications.

That's simply impossible on Samsung phones without rooting it. I DO root my phones, but it seems ridiculous that you have to do that.

Most of the applications are installed as "System" applications.
There is some crap on the g4 like Facebook and Twitter that can't be uninstalled, but can be disabled and hidden.

I haven't bothered to root it yet as I find it annoying every time an update is available... The nexus 4 has a root toolkit, but even then I'd have to unroot , flash, reroot, and if a major update was available I'd have to wipe everything. I don't think there is a one click root toolkit for the g4, so that whole process might be even more involved.

Is there any easier way to deal with updating a rooted phone, or is what I described par for the course? If it is, I will likely wait for M until I root.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

I have to agree here. I'm probably the biggest BB fan on this forum (you'll have to pull the keyboard from my cold dead hands), but the Leap is a poor effort. IMHO, the Z30 is a better phone.

However, coming out soon is the BlackBerry Priv (for privacy). The first BB featuring a 'secure' version of full Android right out of the box. Has the same processor as LG G4, QuadHD display, 18MP camera, 64bit, 4k capability, huge *** battery, SD card capable, curved screen like the Sammy S6 and best of all..... a slide out keyboard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaL8QhdWuKU

I'll probably pick up the Priv to test it out. Of course I love my Passport as it's the best device for my need and more...it'll be hard to move from it. Hope Priv works out for BB as it might be the last device they put out.

Back
Top Bottom