Supermoto help | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Supermoto help

I have a drz400sm but it's my first year riding. I love the bike, but I can definitely see how an experienced rider like yourself would want something more. A lot of supermoto guys in the states run 450's converted for street use. Might want to look into that? Btw, That huskie you posted is sick! They're made by BMW I believe?

So I'm no help, but i'd say just get what you really want.

Ape sxv 550? Someone on here was bringing one back to life a couple years ago. I don't think the engines are known for staying together, but damn they look fun when they're working.

Ape sxv 550? Someone on here was bringing one back to life a couple years ago. I don't think the engines are known for staying together, but damn they look fun when they're working.
Seen one on kijiji. type of bike you're wrenching on more then riding on..
What a beast tho

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Maintenance on those things is next level, amazing looking bike though

Unfortunately, your only options for a factory supermoto that won't break the bank with decent power is one of the KTM's

Ktm! Ktm! Ktm!

Even the most powerful supermotos in the world can't keep up with a 600 supersport at highway speeds. I think your first step is to realize that it's not going to be about outright speed. It's more about the quality of the interactive experience..

I agree with this...a super port will destroy a supermoto in the straight over 100 klm. ..but a motard will destroy a SS in the twistes under 100 klm. Depends what you want.....although my duke is more street oriented than the ktm supermoto, I love the low end grunt of the single thumper and the nimble handling and breaking. It will pound for pound take a SS 600 in the twistes but once that straight away comes the SS will leave me on the dust....

Just get a hitch mounted carrier for your Jeep and then get the EXC500. Now that is one sick bike that I bet is scary as all hell to ride. Still street legal, but you want to trailer it because of the maintenance intervals :) Definitely ready to race.

I inspired myself with that post and bought a fresh and super clean 2011 990SMR that I brought home on Friday. Now I've got all winter to tinker. It's got an amazing chassis and seating position is as comfy as an adventure bike.

This is a beautiful machine. I had the pleasure of riding one of these in Europe. What a beast!

I inspired myself with that post and bought a fresh and super clean 2011 990SMR that I brought home on Friday. Now I've got all winter to tinker. It's got an amazing chassis and seating position is as comfy as an adventure bike.

Post a pic man!. Wanna see your new ride. Congrats man!

Thank you - ill snap some pictures tomorrow as I've been in bed with a nasty cold.

Bored of drz? Wow.. Are you guys drag racing these bikes?
I've owned the drz for 2 year, was never bored of it. Tops around 160, I was just itching for more top end so I sold it.
However, mine had mrd exhaust, 440 bb, carbs, bunch of othe mods.. By the time you spend money on all this, you can probably buy a ktm 625/640.

Look into wr250x, crf250m, xr650r, wr450, ktm 625/ 640/ 690, dr650, drz400, bmw 650x. From my research ktms are more strict on maintenance/ parts are more expensive than japanese bikes.. valve checks, multiple oil filters, one bike had faulty rocker arms?

Trying stay with Japanese for reliability but I know the trade off is less soul

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

was just wondering where you picked up that KTM 990 SMR? By chance, was that the one at Apex Cycle?

I have been looking for one. I almost bought a 2006 this summer (950) but I'd really like to get the newer 990 although I have heard about the fuel injected jerkiness.

No, it's not the one from apex - I know that bike. They've sold and resold it three times. I saw it there last year and rode it, didn't like it and I don't like buying bikes with other people's mods so I found this perfectly stock one with one owner and super duper clean. As for the fuel injection jerkiness, I've owned three fuel injected KTMs that started off jerky and they were a piece of cake to sort out: 690 enduro, 990 adventure R and an RC8R. This bike's throttle is as smooth down low as my 1190 adventure, not snatchy at all. My friend use to have a 950SM and I really liked it but there's a massive difference in drive-by-seat power between it and the 990 version plus the 990 SMR has forged marchesini wheels and big brembos up front.

Have you considered a Superduke 990 as an option if you can't find a 990 SMR?

I have been looking for one. I almost bought a 2006 this summer (950) but I'd really like to get the newer 990 although I have heard about the fuel injected jerkiness.

I've got a 2012 990SMT and the low rpm throttle response was kind of abrupt, enough to be a distraction and a nuisance. After some research I bought a new throttle tube from ktm twins and it cleared it up.

They really are an underappreciated bike. I love mine.

"there's a massive difference in drive-by-seat power between it and the 990 version "

+++1

You're not kidding! I had an 06 950 adv. and the performance difference and overall feel between the 2 engines is dramatic.

Back
Top Bottom