Cost to get into the "sport" | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cost to get into the "sport"

My first bike (2008 CBR125R) cost me $1800 to buy used which I found on Kijiji and rode until the end of the season. Then sold it for $1800 at the start of the new season.

Gear ... I bought my helmet new during the winter show ($200 c/w transition visor) and textile jacket ($100 tax in) which I still wear both today (4 years).

Gloves - $100 for first pair
Gloves - $400 now for a good pair of summer gloves, cold weather gloves - from Velocity
Overpants - $90 - worn for 4 years
Kevlar Jeans - $100 from Velocity
Leather Jacket - used - $80 - still have it but barely wear it - 3 years
Boots - used - $60 - still wear them but need/want new ones

Bought a 2011 CBR250R for $5k and rode it for 3.5 season and sold for $2000
Bought a 2013 CB500F for $4600 + tax and riding it now

2x oil changes per year - $60 with oil and filter - I do the work

Insurance - $600-650/year on this bike, $500 for the 250, and 450 for the 125

Yes the initial outlay is fairly considerable but if you average it over time it's not too bad.

Problem is you want to keep upgrading: bike, gear, skill and the price points jump up as you move up in your experience level.

Next year's investment for me....track day and more training.

I just came across this video on Youtube and thought of this thread

[video]https://youtu.be/IwePyWF36TU[/video]

First year:

Bike $3500
Insurance $2000
Gear $1000
License $500

I was 23.

Funny enough it's getting more expensive because street riding is boring and I'm going track only lol

EDIT: Just checked my total expenses. Not including the cost of the second bike (and selling the first), it's around $20,000~. This is ontop of the first year. It's been 5 years so around $4,000 a year. Not too bad considering there are track day fees and two really bad crashes in there.

Last edited:
Welp, Going to try for 4k.

Are there major savings between 125 and 250? Wanted a 250 since it "can" do highway speeds aka possible to do the full M on it.
On Kijiji they seem to be around the same price and googling most I've seen saved is like $500 on insurance.

Are there major savings between 125 and 250? Wanted a 250 since it "can" do highway speeds aka possible to do the full M on it.
On Kijiji they seem to be around the same price and googling most I've seen saved is like $500 on insurance.

Shop around and this time of year you should score a good deal. I'd go 250 if you can but a 125 CAN and WILL be suitable for highway and doing your M2 exit. A 250 just does it easier.

Buy the 250 and pay whatever (probably extremely marginal) extra insurance it costs you. I'd be surprised if it was $500 actually as you mentioned - was that via online quotes?

This is something I wrote up for another forum a few years ago...

This is based of my own personal experiences both inside the motorcycle industry and as a rider. At no point am I saying this is the end all be all guide or must do's. By taking the time to type this all out i hope to maybe give a better understanding to getting into riding and the costs involved.

Where to Start?

First off ask yourself if you can financially afford to ride a motorcycle. Look at your finances owning a bike tends to be more costly then a car plain and simple. If you are going to ride on the street then plan on paying for something that you are only realistically going to ride 25% of the time. It’s a hobby and a privilege to ride a motorcycle in Ontario. The initial cost of gear and licensing can make or break it for some people.

Example:
M1 License.......................................$17.50
Motorcycle training course..............$450.00
Premium Textile/Leather Jacket......$300.00
Helmet .............................................$250.00
Riding Boots .....................................$150.00
Leather Gloves .................................$80.00
Total...................................................$1247.50

Before evening spending a dime call around for insurance on some bikes. As a guideline you can use generics such as a 2008 CBR 125, Ninja 250, GS500 and GSXR 600. This will give you an idea if you can afford the worst part about owning a motorcycle...insurance costs.

Example
2007 CBR600RR..................$7000.00
Good Ole’HST .....................$910.00
Insurance.............................$936.00
Plates, Permit and Sticker... $62.00
Total....................................$8908.00

Lastly is maintenance and this is going to vary widely since it depends on how much you ride and the condition of the bike you purchase. No matter what it tends to be higher than a car and is something you cannot neglect since on a bike there are no second chances.

Example (5000km travelled or 1.5 months riding)

20 Fill Ups....................$360.00
2 Oil Changes...............$110.00
New Tires Incl Labor.....$380.00
Chain Lube...................$20.00
Labor............................$00.00
Total.............................$870.00

Grand Total $11,025.50 for a first year.

If you’re not scared or do believe you can afford it keep reading below.

As you can see just to be able to complete the first stage of licensing you are looking at a cost just under $1300! Not an inexpensive investment and that’s going with pretty generic gear. All the above gear is required to complete the course so no point in thinking you can get away without an item. Of course you can borrow the gear or go with less expensive options but in the long run it’s best to just purchase decent stuff right off the start so you don’t end up spending money twice on the same items.

When purchasing gear this is the time to leave your ego’s at home you need help whether you like it or not. Ask someone you trust to come with you to the store so you can have their opinion as well and they can take mental notes since you shouldn’t just walk in and purchase the first thing you try on. Also they can help you when checking fitment of items such as your helmet. Good places to try in the GTA are Royal Distributing, GP Bikes, Kahuana Power sports and Riders Choice.

Helmets
I’m not going to get into the technical garble here as everyone knows how to do research but more how to check a helmet for fit and selection. You should know that you have to have at minimum a DOT approved helmet with Snell being optional. There are three major types of helmets to look at Open Face, Full Face and Motorcross. Personally I like my chin and eyes so I will only recommend a full face helmet. I know people will disagree but don’t pay attention to individual brands as any name brand helmet will protect your noggin since they all have to meet the same certs.

Pick up a helmet and look at how the vents function and the quality of the shield. Check the movement of the previous items are they flimsy and weak or stiff and solid? Does the visor lock down and seal properly? Feel the material inside is it soft to the touch? Can you add or remove the padding for fit and cleaning? Once you are satisfied with how the helmet is made put it on. Right away if there are any individual pressure points take it off and try another size. Once you find one that is comfortable have your friend or salesperson hold the chin protector and move your head up/down left/right does the helmet stay snug? If yes you are almost done now open your mouth and close it did you bite your cheeks? If no then try on the same helmet from different box just to make sure everything is good. Your done you can either shop around or purchase that one.

Personally I tried on every manufacture of helmets I could find in the GTA to find the exact one that fit me the best. I also made notes of the ones that fit then came home and did research and read reviews from each one as well. Out of all the gear you buy the helmet is the one thing hardest to change and it can make or break you’re riding enjoyment.

Jackets/Gloves/Boots

Now that you have found your helmet these three other items tends to be a cinch. When looking at jackets decide what kind of riding you will be doing and the weather you want to be equipped for. You can buy an all in one jacket or purchase multiple ones to do specific things. No matter what the base jacket should have padding in the elbows, shoulders and spine. Textile now a day’s offers similar protection to leather in a onetime crash outside of that they are different. Major differences are that textile can be waterproof tends to dry quicker and normally breathes better. Leather is more durable and a better blocker of wind. Once you have an idea of what you want in particular select a jacket.

Look at the cuffs, waist, neck and venting on the jacket. Can everything be adjusted and will it do up tightly to prevent it from moving around at speed or in the event of a crash? If so try it on and make sure the pads are lined up with your joints and sitting where they are supposed to be WHILE SITTING ON A BIKE!!! Now get off and imagine if you were to fall are they still in the right spot? If so great you have found yourself a jacket.

Keeping the jacket on go over to the glove rack and look for a pair of gloves. Avoid ones with any kind of metal in them as in the event of a crash you will be sliding and the last thing you want is super heated metal against your skin leather and composites are best. Try multiple pairs of gloves on they should either go under the cuff of the jacket or over the cuff completely covering any exposed skin. Now go back over to a bike and sit in the riding position is everything still covered? Can you reach the controls and have full movement? If so you got your gloves.

Lastly is footwear/riding boots. I cannot stress this enough footwear is key we have all done it at one time or another wiped out on a skateboard or pedal bike and the first thing that does flying is our shoes. You need riding boots plain and simple if you ever want to walk normally after crashing. These should cover the ankle at a minimum and should provide good support. Two kinds of fasteners are recommended. Personally I prefer a lace or latch system to keep them snug on the foot and externally a mechanical latch to keep them from flying off in an accident. There should be a slight heel on the sole to keep them firmly positioned on the peg. The toe should be small enough to easily fit under the shift lever.

After inspecting the boots try them on. Are they comfortable to stand/walk in? (Remember these are for every time you ride) Do they come far enough up your leg to protect your full ankle? Now go over to that bike again and get in your riding position. Are they still comfortable, do they cover everything still and can you operate the controls ok? If so you are now fully geared to take the course!

Last edited:

Either one works but depending on how much you weigh, a 125 may suck.

Got me semi thinking now, what about supermotos?

Can hardly find any on kijiji so I assume people are converting themselves, hows insurance on them?
Are dirt bikes a good alternative? I know for green plate you need insurance, does it help with real motorcycle insurance?
Could be a cheaper way to get on the streets later on, and just do dirt stuff for now, got no trailer but a honda pilot with a hitch so could get that dirt bike carrier thing.

Running costs any lower?

You can not convert from Green plate to a Blue plate. You can go the other way but you essentially waste a perfectly good bike and license by doing so.

You can not convert from Green plate to a Blue plate. You can go the other way but you essentially waste a perfectly good bike and license by doing so.

Actually you still can, only with ktm though. My exc200 2t was blue plate when I got it, I went to green, then back to blue the next year. It's only because of the way ktm imports them and how they register with the govt.
Japanese bikes this can't be done.

Actually you still can, only with ktm though. My exc200 2t was blue plate when I got it, I went to green, then back to blue the next year. It's only because of the way ktm imports them and how they register with the govt.
Japanese bikes this can't be done.

Thanks for the info! Very good to know.

Thanks for the info! Very good to know.

If they tell you no at service ontario, ask them to run the vin, it shows in the system as being able to go blue plate.

Guessing its just better to save up for that 250, no cheap ktm's and don't see it being worth getting just a green plate to only sell it again.

Guessing its just better to save up for that 250, no cheap ktm's and don't see it being worth getting just a green plate to only sell it again.
I have an 09 klx 250 supermoto and textile padded gear that should fit you
$4000 for all certified. With brand new rosso 2s. 8000kms

I have an 09 klx 250 supermoto and textile padded gear that should fit you
$4000 for all certified. With brand new rosso 2s. 8000kms

I'm just planning for the future, I only have 1k right now but thanks for the offer. :D
Plus it's not a ktm so it wouldn't have done me any good, got no private property to ride on so going green would've wasted it.

Also kinda just proved my point, 250 ninja/cbr for under 2k, plus 2k for insurance seems like a better deal.

Side point: Since it's going to take me a while to save up, should I rent a bike to do the full M next year? or are saving negligible if not insured anyways.

Last edited:
rbjeepthing

That list is way over the top and simply meant to scare people off. :rolleyes:

••••

Sauga rider...one key thing is try to get something with ABS if you are going the street bike route.

You can get inexpensive quality gear, there is tons of it out there including good helmets but you have to put some work into it.

But y'know for some big time fun and very very good base training ....taking the motocross course at Chatsworth will do you very well in the long term.

http://www.motoparkracing.com/mp-camp-registration.html

If you can get someone to drive you on a regular basis. Buying an off road bike like a Honda 230 and keeping it up there will give you a superb base.

I'd certainly do that over the parking lot courses being suggested.

That's how my kid and one of my staff...now both experienced riders ( better than me by far ) started out.
Used motocross gear is cheap enough but a long summer of that kind of riding will give you a superb base to move forward and a whole lot of fun.

Something like this is loads of fun up there and you can use it to get your licence down the road as it is road legal

$_27.JPG

They are easy to resell as well.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-o...0l/1096261358?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

even better deal

$_27.JPG

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/city-of-toronto/crf230/1115367108?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

The other alternative for the first year is

$_27.JPG

Cheapest insurance of all...good road presence in traffic and very useful machine.
This was my kids second ride ( Honda Jaz was too gutless ) and it got him past that first year and you could start riding now.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-scooters-poc...er/1094677203?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom