Cost to get into the "sport" | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cost to get into the "sport"

油井緋色;2355251 said:
Either one works but depending on how much you weigh, a 125 may suck.

6"4 170-190 lb~

I'm probably just going to get a manual car next year and pretend its a 4 wheel'd motorcycle :(

The CBR125 at that weight and height would totally suck. (long term).

Contrary to what rbjeepthing said about motorcycling being more expensive than owning a car, at 20 when I was car shopping, insurance was about 3x what my motorcycle insurance cost as well so you won't really know unless you make those calls yourself and do a bit of research and comparison for what works for you.

At the time, I was also on a tight budget w/ school and couldn't afford the extra ~$1500 more for the ninja 250 along with an extra $90/yr for insurance so I started on the cbr125. Also was able to get free parking w/ the bike at school so that was a plus... Rather than spending $6 roundtrip to school I managed to put that to gas at $9/ 1 1/2 weeks :p

My route was a little unusual, as I spent a LOT upfront, but haven't upgraded significantlysince then (only my helmet some bike upgrades and some gear like gloves and kevlar jeans) - as I get more seasons under my belt, the savings are increasing.

1st bike (5 years old, and barely used) - $5000
1st year insurance - $1500 (liability only, too!)
New Jacket - $350
New Helmet - $200
Used Gloves - $50
New Boots - $200
New Textile Pants - $200
M2x course - $350
M1 - $20
Bike was old, so it needed new tires:
New Tires (incl. install) - $500
Frame Sliders - $75

TOTAL: $8445

Ever since my first year, I've only spent a few hundred per year on mods, maintenance stuff and gear upgrades, etc. My insurance is only $650/year now, so it DOES get better.

Once you start riding, you'll quickly learn what it means to you; if you're all about performance-only riding, then you'll eventually going to do track-only like some of these dudebro's suggest. I thought about going the track-only route, but then you need a trailer, more mods, more gear ... its crazy.

Personally, I enjoy riding as a means to relax and I enjoy supplementing my commutes and driving by way of bike: The challenge of riding through traffic, finding new techniques to ride safely, deal with in-climate weather, etc.

Back
Top Bottom