Howling Front Wheel | GTAMotorcycle.com

Howling Front Wheel

Krime

Site Supporter
Over the past week, I've notice a howling sound from the front tire when travelling over 120km/h. It's a constant sound that gets most intense at about 125km/h and then seems to fade back a bit the faster I go. I can hear it noticeably over the wind noise while wearing ear plugs.

I'd assumed it was my tire, but the tire looks fine and has plenty of life on it.

Is this a sign my wheel bearings are going?

It's a 2004 GSXR1000 with 78,000km.

Wheel bearings would be my first guess. No pads or rotor rubbing against anything?

It can be hard to tell where a noise is coming from at speed. The buffeting can carry sounds from almost anywhere on the bike and make it sound like it's in front of you. It could be the front wheel but keep an open mind about it and try and find a way to confirm your diagnosis in a different way.

Well at 78K I'd change both sets of wheel bearings anyways. When I did mine on a previous bike I popped them out, read the bearing numbers eg. 6302RS and picked up premium SKF brand bearings from a bearing supply store that had them in stock.

Sorry for the late response, crazy busy weekend.

Had a closer look at the tire and it looked fine, although I noticed a wavy thin line through it. Checked the back and it had the same thing, so not sure if that has anything to do with it but I'm guessing it's unlikely.

Attachments

• IMG_0932.jpg
    IMG_0932.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Wheel bearings would be my first guess. No pads or rotor rubbing against anything?

Nothing. I do need to replace my rear rotor and pad, but it's not rubbing.

Well at 78K I'd change both sets of wheel bearings anyways. When I did mine on a previous bike I popped them out, read the bearing numbers eg. 6302RS and picked up premium SKF brand bearings from a bearing supply store that had them in stock.

Thanks for the tip. Might be worth replacing both bearings regardless as you say.

What's involved in replacing them? Something I can do myself?

What do you mean by cupping? How can I check for this? Not familiar with the term.
Check youtube, there's a few videos. I use chalk and put my bike up on a front lift stand (bottom of forks or tripple tree is fine). Spin the tire and hold the chalk steady, like against the fender, and slowly move it towards the tire until it touches. If the tire is cupped it'll only touch in a few places creating dashed lines. Check a few different spots (close to the shoulder, the very center of the tire, and half way in between).

Replacing wheel bearings isn't a technically difficult procedure, but you should at least have access to a manual or video beforehand. Don't forget to replace the seals as well, that's what keeps the dirt and water out. All Balls makes wheel bearing and seal kits for a lot of bikes, might be something to consider as well although I have no idea as to the quality of the kit.

In my case (98 Goldwing) the front tire howls at about 50-60 Kph. It's a common thing with a lot of tires. It's been doing it for thousands of miles and other than the annoyance it hasn't caused any problems.

Back
Top Bottom