KTM Super Duke GT | GTAMotorcycle.com

KTM Super Duke GT

Face

I saw a good spot on the X-bow on how it is made.
I was wondering about the sticker price.
I would be leary about buying one considering the friends I have who own the bikes.
Many issues, How many issues will the car have?

The rumours have been confirmed. Super Duke GT will be at EICMA in November and in the show rooms April 2016 (not sure if that includes North America). Specs look amazing.

KTM 1290 Super Duke GT prototype tested | MCN

Brace Yourself for the KTM Super Duke GT

A more detailed review at page 68 Cycle News - Cycle News 2015 Issue 40 October 6

Definitely appears to be more about upping the game in "sport touring" than a tall "adventure sport" like the Multistrada & S1000XR.

"Touring the KTM way"...whatever. :rolleyes:

I agree, it's just another big bore, electronic rider aid laden sport/"sport adventure" touring bike to match up against the Multi12, and Beemer 1000XR like you said, and maybe even the Kawi Ninja 1000 ST, Connie 1400, FJR1300, and BMW r12rs/K1300s, yadda. Nothing new here. Maybe for KTM it's new, but not the market place, but, it does look very interesting nonetheless. :)

I agree, it's just another big bore, electronic rider aid laden sport/"sport adventure" touring bike to match up against the Multi12, and Beemer 1000XR like you said, and maybe even the Kawi Ninja 1000 ST, Connie 1400, FJR1300, and BMW r12rs/K1300s, yadda. Nothing new here. Maybe for KTM it's new, but not the market place, but, it does look very interesting nonetheless. :)

Who says they have to create a brand new market?

Looks good except for that headlight, jeebus...

You don't find 100 Pound-Foot of torque interesting?

mmmkkaaayyyy, your life must be awesome ;)

100 Foot Pounds of torque, 180 hp with a 463 lbs wet weight carrying 23 litres of fuel. I can't think of any other sport tourer that can touch these stats.

Awesome? Quite oridnary actually, but I've owned an FJR 1300, with 99 lbs ft torque, ...forget what my old V-max's torque figure was, but it was pretty close to that, so you'll excuse me if I think there's nothing new here, because I know, that in the real world, all those big spec sheet numbers, (not dyno tested yet, so expect them to drop off quite a bit) and all those electronic aids, mean shysser. Just another over the top bike to appeal to testostorone driven egos, and that have little to do with real world riding, where 100 hp and 75 lbs ft torque are all you need because even those figure will see you lose your license and maybe your bike if abused; where you reallly don't need any electronic aids either. ;)

I call that being in touch with reality. This bike isn't. :p

100 Foot Pounds of torque, 180 hp with a 463 lbs wet weight carrying 23 litres of fuel. I can't think of any other sport tourer that can touch these stats.

There you go: it wins the spec sheet race. Whoopieeeee!!!!:rolleyes:

Let me tell you a little story, that happened to me last year:

I'm riding my old, (28 years old in fact) POS bike compared to new super-duper bikes like this new KTM, with 70 hp and 50 lbs ft torque, and a 120 section, bias ply rear tire, with a baffed shock, minding my own business, when a very popular, super-super, high horsepower, big torque, loaded to the gills with electronic aids, very expensive "adventure sport" rider passes me, about 2 feet off my left side. No need to be so close, as there was very little traffic. My guess is he wanted to show me what a real bike looks like...so...naturally...I pick up the pace and stay with him.

Stayed with him as he wove through traffic, stayed with him at well above the speed limt in the sweepers, in fact I closed in on him a little bit on a nice right hander, doing 80+ MPH. That's like what, 140 km/h? The only way he could "drop" me, was to go wayyyy over the speed limit. But, of course, that comes with risk on public roads, and luckily, he decided to back off, and I tucked in behind him. He took the next cut off. Don't get me wrong, I'm a moderate rider, not a racer, but one only needed moderate skills to do what we were doing...in the real world.

So, what came to mind for me was that old "300" tale, of those Spartans who had a positional advantage, and held off an army of a million, because all that power the invading army had, meant nothing, when the situation is such that it cannot be used. :p

I'm emotionally secure and mature. I don't need to, ummm, overcompensate for "things" I don't have. ;)

Last edited:
All I am going to say is "those that don't know, just don't know"

There you go: it wins the spec sheet race. Whoopieeeee!!!!:rolleyes:

Let me tell you a little story, that happened to me last year:

I'm riding my old, (28 years old in fact) POS bike compared to new super-duper bikes like this new KTM, with 70 hp and 50 lbs ft torque, and a 120 section, bias ply rear tire, with a baffed shock, minding my own business, when a very popular, super-super, high horsepower, big torque, loaded to the gills with electronic aids, very expensive "adventure sport" rider passes me, about 2 feet off my left side. No need to be so close, as there was very little traffic. My guess is he wanted to show me what a real bike looks like...so...naturally...I pick up the pace and stay with him.

Stayed with him as he wove through traffic, stayed with him at well above the speed limt in the sweepers, in fact I closed in on him a little bit on a nice right hander, doing 80+ MPH. That's like what, 140 km/h? The only way he could "drop" me, was to go wayyyy over the speed limit. But, of course, that comes with risk on public roads, and luckily, he decided to back off, and I tucked in behind him. He took the next cut off. Don't get me wrong, I'm a moderate rider, not a racer, but one only needed moderate skills to do what we were doing...in the real world.

So, what came to mind for me was that old "300" tale, of those Spartans who had a positional advantage, and held off an army of a million, because all that power the invading army had, meant nothing, when the situation is such that it cannot be used. :p

I'm emotionally secure and mature. I don't need to, ummm, overcompensate for "things" I don't have. ;)

Funny, when I went from a 485 lb bike with 66 hp & 44 foot pounds to a 500 lb bike with 135 hp & 87 foot pounds, my riding habits didn't change too much but my grin factor certainly did. 60,000 kms later I've explored more of the potential of the bike and I've gotten quite used to that level of performance. Problem is, my wife will do day rides with me but that bike is not too comfortable for her and doesn't have the carrying capacity for longer 2-up touring. I love the performance of a lighter bike, so don't want to go to something big like a Connie. We've toured in Europe on bikes with similar power to mine but with more weight, and the difference is noticeable. The pillion seat on the GT looks bigger and better shaped. Hope the leg room and load capacity are better.

So you're right, I am looking to compensate for something. The additional weight of a passenger and gear. Does that make me immature and emotionally insecure? I agree, a better rider on a lesser bike will out-ride a weaker rider on a more powerful bike. But put that same better rider on a better bike and he/she will go faster, have more fun and have a bigger safety net. Just like after doing a number of track days on a 125, at some point you're going to want to move up to a 250.

Last edited:
I'm all for any new models that have semi-active suspension. This'll be the first that's not an adventure sport

Maybe it's just me but I think it's UGLY, and I would be considered to be brand loyal to them both on and off road.

Performance numbers and hi-tech specs are great but it doesn't make me want to trade in my '12 990 SMT to buy it.

I'm all for any new models that have semi-active suspension. This'll be the first that's not an adventure sport

I think the fully loaded S1000R and now the S1000RR both have semi-active suspension. But I do think this is the first sport touring bike with it.

I think the fully loaded S1000R and now the S1000RR both have semi-active suspension. But I do think this is the first sport touring bike with it.

Right, I should have added "/supersport"

Semi-active suspension 
What is this magic?

Constantly adjusting compression and rebound dampening. You can set it on the fly for the type of riding you want to do. Even in "sport" mode,it will soften some for cruising or bumpy roads, then firm up when you start ripping. Also compensates for front end dive under heavy braking.

Constantly adjusting compression and rebound dampening. You can set it on the fly for the type of riding you want to do. Even in "sport" mode,it will soften some for cruising or bumpy roads, then firm up when you start ripping. Also compensates for front end dive under heavy braking.
Ah...
My FJR does that, thought it was some new sort of gizmo.

Ridden many bikes, and I figured EDS / Semi-Active suspension was just more electronic crap that doesn't make a difference........... Until I road the '15 R1200GSA... and then the 1190 Adventure & 1290 Adventure. Definitely got sold on the electronic suspension.

Being able to go from super plush (Barely feeling railroad crossing) to firm sports bike like suspension with the click of a button..... damn.

...So you're right, I am looking to compensate for something. The additional weight of a passenger and gear. Does that make me immature and emotionally insecure? I agree, a better rider on a lesser bike will out-ride a weaker rider on a more powerful bike. But put that same better rider on a better bike and he/she will go faster, have more fun and have a bigger safety net. Just like after doing a number of track days on a 125, at some point you're going to want to move up to a 250.

So, really, that more or less epitomises the essence of the appeal factor for buying high horsepower bikes like this one, laden with superfluous electronic rider aids and electronic technologies: a less skilled rider can go faster and be safer, to which I answer, I already go (plenty) fast enough, in fact too fast.

There comes a point when a bike like this simply becomes a track bike, not a real world bike because that's where all the power and electronics pay off...at break neck speeds. Trust me, I have plenty of fun in the real world on bikes with half the power, and no gadgets. Trust me, I go fast enough, *but I am not having a race with anybody* ;), like buyers of these types of bikes are having, either in their minds, or with their pocket books, or with their egos. So yes, you are overcompensating, thinking that riding faster makes your experience, and you as a rider, better, when that riding *must be, in order to put all that power and gadgetry to proper use, wayyyy above the speed limits on public roads*.

These bikes are about egos and overcompensating and little more; like trophy wives that can be purchased off a showroom floor. :D

P.S. I just couldn't help but think of Jorge Lorenzo's recent get off during a "training" session for the next MotoGP race in Japan. I think it's safe to say MotoGP riders are the fastest of the fast with repects to both, rider skills, and bike technologies. He crashed while riding a *mini-bike*. He was training on...*and having fun with*...a mini bike. In fact, this is not unusual for world class racers:when they want to have fun and relax a bit, they ride low tech, low horespower bikes. That kind of blows the belief that you need more power and more electronic aids to have more fun out of the water IMO. World class racers know what I know: it's more fun riding a slow bike fast, than having to ride a fast bike slow. :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom