Ninja250r headlights flickering at idle | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ninja250r headlights flickering at idle

Ridin2TheGym

Hi all,
Recently ive had a problem with my lowbeam headlights flickering at stop lights. The dashboard flickers as well. I have never had since problem since owning the bike in July.

The bike does come with HID lowbeams and read online that it could be drawing too much power leading to the flickering. I noticed today that when I put up my highbeam lights the flickering seems to go away.

What could lead to this problem? Weak battery? Wiring becoming loose?

My bike is an 09 ninja 250

Are the HID lows aftermarket?

I would eventually move to a relay circuit to drive them if so. The factory wiring is likely good enough for them while running but not when igniting. The ones on my DRZ would flicker more when they were cold and when the battery was run down a bit.

As for the flickering if the dash is also doing it maybe your regulator/rectifier is not working properly.

I guess initial checks would be DC voltage at battery while idling and when revved up a bit. Should be about 14 ish. Hoping for not too much fluctuation in that voltage or a higher AC voltage. I am not sure what the raw voltage would be from the stator but I am guessing it would be quite a bit higher than the 14 ish mentioned.

Start with the easy stuff.
Check that the battery leads are tight.
Next, check for cracked fuses. Even though it looks like it is not blown, maybe a fuse is cracked and touching intermittently.
Then check for cracked wires.

I don't know too much about HID. I don't like them. I would stay away from them.
Especially aftermarket crap.

Yeah, its aftermarkets. theyve been installed on the bike before I purchased it in July.

Thanks for the feedback guys

@gxsr guy im pretty sure its the stock battery it came with so 6 years lol. time for a swap?

Yes. 6 years is a long time for a battery, even if its been properly taken care of. Most battery shops like batteries r us will test it for you if you don't know how.

What ballast are you using? Try another one. I remember a friend had a similar problem when running 55w ballasts.

Back
Top Bottom