Kawasaki disappointed me :( | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kawasaki disappointed me :(

rashidme

I bought this bike (2015 kawasaki zx6r) back in September 2014 from St. Ong recreation in Barrie, ON. When I bought it I realized that the bike had stalling issues so I went to the dealer and they had to replace the ECU. Now after a year the bike shuts down by itself when I rev it (as seen in the video).

The only mods I have are: M4 gp exhaust (slip on), frame sliders, spools.

I am wondering if I am sold a lemon bike or it is just issues with Kawasaki QC Or is it that Kawasaki put all its efforts in the H2(R) machine and forgot about other models. I am taking the bike to the dealer all the way from Mississauga to Barrie (Kawasaki won't cover the transportation costs) and I might have to pay for the repair as bike is out of warranty. FML seriously!

I am kind of disappointed :(

Here is the video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAkFAErb9tA

did it do it prior to installing the slip on exhaust?????

did it do it prior to installing the slip on exhaust?????
How can a slip on play any role?? Maybe I am missing something?
It had ecu issues when the bike was bone stock and ecu was replaced. It started happening recently and I wonder if it's the temperature??

How can a slip on play any role??

Really?

Maybe I am missing something?

You are. Exhausts are a major part of a bike's tuning/how it runs. Usually, when you add a slip on or full system, you need to add fuel to the mixture so it doesn't run lean.

It had ecu issues when the bike was bone stock and ecu was replaced. It started happening recently and I wonder if it's the temperature??

If it started happening recently it could mean something simple like you need new plugs or a new air filter, i.e. regular maintenance. Bikes usually run better in cooler temps.

The slip on exhaust flows air better leaning out the fuel/air mix. Try putting the stock pipe back on and see how it runs.

You're not the only one reporting a stalling problem with the ZX6R:

Same as yours:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9h56SyaNLU

Here he says they fixed it with an ECU replacement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEQcIHL9Kws

You should verify that the ECU used to replace yours is correct and updated and not basically the same as what came out of yours originally.

BTW, the way you phrased the OP it sounds like you had a stalling issue, they replaced the ECU and that fixed it and now, a year later, it's doing it again. Is that the basic idea?

Just a guess. There is an idle adjuster where your left leg is. It's a black tube hanging out with a round knob that looks like star shape. I think idle suppose to be around 1300. Sometimes when pipe replace have adjust idle. Not sure but worth try.

The bike is under warranty no? Keeping bringing it back till the problem is fixed. If my brand new 2015 BMW was stalling out or dying on me I would not hesitate to bring it back and keep bringing it back till the problem was resolved or my money returned.

Do you have he parts to return the bike to stock? Does the problem still happen with everything stock?

If you just want to get a diagnostics check go to Burlington Cycle wayyy closer. Even Snow City is a better option than going back to Barrie. Unless the dealer is willing to do it at no charge or something it doesn't matter where you take it. If your ECU was already replaced under warranty any dealer can look up that info.

PS. This is where extended warranty is handy as much as people talk **** about them. If I'm buying brand new NO WAY I won't spend an extra $400-500 for an extra 4 years coverage and the roadside assistance that comes with it.

Last edited:
I would argue that the original repair that was done within the warranty period did not fix the problem and should be now covered by the dealer out of the warranty period. It should all be documented in the service records since they already tried to fix the same problem.

The bike is under warranty no? Keeping bringing it back till the problem is fixed. If my brand new 2015 BMW was stalling out or dying on me I would not hesitate to bring it back and keep bringing it back till the problem was resolved or my money returned.

Why are you going all the way to Barrie? If it's covered under warranty you can take the bike to any local Kawasaki dealership. I bought my Harley in Kitchener but I get it serviced here in the GTA.

Really?

You are. Exhausts are a major part of a bike's tuning/how it runs. Usually, when you add a slip on or full system, you need to add fuel to the mixture so it doesn't run lean.

If it started happening recently it could mean something simple like you need new plugs or a new air filter, i.e. regular maintenance. Bikes usually run better in cooler temps.

ic, but I never had this with my other kawis?! I recently cleaned the air filter and I have not checked the spark plugs.

Just a guess. There is an idle adjuster where your left leg is. It's a black tube hanging out with a round knob that looks like star shape. I think idle suppose to be around 1300. Sometimes when pipe replace have adjust idle. Not sure but worth try.

thanks for the info but I do not want to touch anything at the moment and let them run their diagnostics.

I would argue that the original repair that was done within the warranty period did not fix the problem and should be now covered by the dealer out of the warranty period. It should all be documented in the service records since they already tried to fix the same problem.
that is a valid point.

You're not the only one reporting a stalling problem with the ZX6R:

Same as yours:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9h56SyaNLU

Here he says they fixed it with an ECU replacement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEQcIHL9Kws

You should verify that the ECU used to replace yours is correct and updated and not basically the same as what came out of yours originally.

BTW, the way you phrased the OP it sounds like you had a stalling issue, they replaced the ECU and that fixed it and now, a year later, it's doing it again. Is that the basic idea?

Yes sir that is correct. They replaced the ecu and at that time the issue was that as soon as you start the bike it would shut down right away and would take three or four tries. Now it stalls when you rev it.

thanks for the info but I do not want to touch anything at the moment and let them run their diagnostics.

Idle adjust is owner-level maintenance; like filling the wiper fluid in your car. Yes it's 'under the hood' but it's there for you, and you should know how to use it if you need.

Regardless though, that could just mask the issue. Just take it for warranty and let them look at it. Did they install the slip on?

If you reach a dead end with the dealer, you can always walk into Kawasaki Canada's head office and ask to talk to someone about the problem and the dealer's refusal to deal with it. They're near Birchmount & Eglinton in Scarborough.

http://www.kawasaki.ca/contact

When I bought mine new, I made the sale conditional on an OEM tail rack (after market looked like crap). Shipping to Canada kept getting delayed. The dealer's hands were tied, so I decided to go straight to the source. They certainly aren't used to customers coming to their door, but it did help resolve the problem and they through in a hat for my troubles.

I'm no expert but some thoughts:

- Is there an idle speed adjustment on the '15 Z6R? I'm assuming it's FI so all done by the computer.

- Revving the bike may make the motor shift in the frame, moving a wire harness/connection. I'd let the bike idle and wiggle the wiring harness and connection points to see if I could duplicate the stall.

- Did you do a tail-tidy? Any wiring or even frame/ground connections up in that area?

- If the revving-stall is readily duplicated, perhaps try an unplug-plug of the ECU (with the bike OFF LoL) to see if that helps.

That sounds like a problem with a MAP, MAF, IAT, or TP sensor. All located around the intake. Not sure if the bike will have all of them, but they are integral in fuel injected engines. If they put it on a computer the problem should reveal itself. Keep all your repair bills from before your warranty expired, email them to Kawasaki and they should cover it under warranty since you alerted them to the problem and they never properly repaired it.

Don't be afraid to adjust the idler on your zx6r. It's hanging on the side in plain view for you to use. You are suppose to keep an eye on your idle and make sure it's at the right setting.

Back
Top Bottom