Kawasaki disappointed me :( | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kawasaki disappointed me :(

Not sure what the idle is supposed to be on your bike but in your vid it looks like it's at ~1100RPM. Set it to what the manual calls for.

Your stalling after blipping could simply be caused by the lower backpressure of the slip-on, and not by the common ECU issue.

Don't be afraid to adjust the idler on your zx6r. It's hanging on the side in plain view for you to use. You are suppose to keep an eye on your idle and make sure it's at the right setting.
I would be shocked if this bike has an idle adjustment no newer bike should have one unless they completely cheaped out on the ECU. I haven't owned a non carbed bike that had one.

I would be shocked if this bike has an idle adjustment no newer bike should have one unless they completely cheaped out on the ECU. I haven't owned a non carbed bike that had one.

My fi versys 650 has an idle adjuster. Maybe that's because it's built to a price point? I don't know, but it's there.
Edit: so did my sv650 and vstrom 1000, both fi.

It has an idle adjustment cable, its not even hidden its sticking out the fairing on the left side of the bike attached to a rad hose with a little bracket

I prefer the manual adjustment also, bikes that dont come with one suck! Like GSXR's you have to lift the tank to adjust the idle. I prefer a remote cable

Now about the bike, sorry to say but either you have a small adjustment problem or you got a lemon. I bought my 2013 from StOnge in 2013 and have had no problem, I currently own 2 2013 636's (same as yours besides color) and again no problems ever. Same with the 10 or so people I know that also own 2013-2015 ZX6's, no one has had the problem your having....

Last edited:
I prefer the manual adjustment also, bikes that dont come with one suck! Like GSXR's you have to lift the tank to adjust the idle. I prefer a remote cable
I agree, had one on my Zx6r and liked it, so easy to adjust. My GSXR didn't have one and I hated it.

I agree, had one on my Zx6r and liked it, so easy to adjust. My GSXR didn't have one and I hated it.

Ive used the Kawaski cable to add remote adjustment to bikes that dont have it, luckily most of the jap sport bikes use the same thread. And you can just get a spring and cable from a Kawi and replace the adjustment knob on the throttle boddies

The only crappy part is from the dealer the cable and spring cost about $100......Which bring up another issue, Ive seen people missing the spring, that is what put tension on the adjuster so it doesnt back out on its own under vibration etc.....If your idle keeps dropping check to make sure you have the spring on the cable and the cable doesnt turn too freely

Last edited:
Interesting my last few bikes have had a servo that sets the idle automatically no manual adjustment as all. I learned something new here.

sent from a device using a program

The good thing about a Yamaha is that I have worse things to worry about than the idle lol

Ive used the Kawaski cable to add remote adjustment to bikes that dont have it, luckily most of the jap sport bikes use the same thread.
Have you ever done it on an 06+ R6 or 07+ R1? My friend was having stalling issues after installing BMC race filter and midpipe and megaphone exhaust. His idle became 6000rpm after he tried to adjust the "idle adjustment screw" on the throttle bodies. He just adjusted it a tiny bit, and it went to 6k rpm, and no matter how you adjust it, it never goes up or down. No check engine light, no nothing. His power commander says his throttle is at 6% all the time now (at idle). Removing the power commander had no effect. I flashed his ECU to try and put down the idle, but no matter what idle settings I put in, it didn't change it.

He bought a complete set of used throttle bodies on ebay and his idle is back to normal. I assume his original stalling issue could have been solved by syncing the throttle bodies (or bumping it a bit up with the ecu flash).

So, is that really an idle adjustment screw?? Reading on the forums it might be to calibrate the TPS (well technically the throttle blade angle sensor) for idle, so if you change it the ECU goes into a freak out mode and never goes back unless you get it back to the perfect calibrated spot :(

Will disconnecting the battery for 5min erase the learned settings in the ECU requiring it to re-learn the fuel trim map?

but then again if the engineers didn't put an IAC in there, maybe no O2 sensors and fuel trim programming? LoL

It has an idle adjustment cable, its not even hidden its sticking out the fairing on the left side of the bike attached to a rad hose with a little bracket

Now about the bike, sorry to say but either you have a small adjustment problem or you got a lemon. I bought my 2013 from StOnge in 2013 and have had no problem, I currently own 2 2013 636's (same as yours besides color) and again no problems ever. Same with the 10 or so people I know that also own 2013-2015 ZX6's, no one has had the problem your having....

All efi idling issues should be so simple to adjust:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl05wDgQX30

Don't know how they do this, but if it works, it's actually something I wish I had...no TB sync...no air bleed adjust./sync...no Co adjust...no tps reset...just a simple knob. If that's low tech, I'm all for it.

Will disconnecting the battery for 5min erase the learned settings in the ECU requiring it to re-learn the fuel trim map?

but then again if the engineers didn't put an IAC in there, maybe no O2 sensors and fuel trim programming? LoL

Kawi usually skips O2 sensors on their NA models unless things have changed

Do you have the Stage 2 silencer in the M4? Some are reporting that it's a back pressure issue.

Last edited:
so for those saying to adjust the idle rpm. I went ahead and adjusted it to what the specs say ~1250 - 1350 rpm. Now I am not able to see the issue.
FYI: I read something interesting in the manual: "with the engine idling turn the handlebar to each side. If handlebar movement changes the idle speed, the throttle cables may be improperly adjusted or incorrectly routed or they may be damaged"

So it was just the idle after putting on an after market pipe. Good to know it wasn't the fault of the shop or Kawasaki. Also, that thing about the handlebar is standard on any bike, you never want the throttle to be adjusted by turning the bars.
I have no complaints about the shop. keeping my eyes on it to see if it happens again.

Back
Top Bottom