Buying a new 2012 bike in 2015, any concerns? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying a new 2012 bike in 2015, any concerns?

samurai

If I am buying a bike that has been sitting at the dealership as brand new for 3 years, are there any concerns due to the fact that the bike has not been ridden for almost 4 years since manufacture date?

Any issues with seals, gaskets, bearings, gears, mechanical parts not being oiled/used/lubricated and simply sitting in storage exposed to humidity, etc.?

Someone told me that's not a good thing for a car and I am thinking the same rule applies to motorcycle.

What are your thoughts?

I believe this to be not much different than a low milage used bike from the same year, only with the advantage you should be getting a warranty. Essentially worries if any would be with the storage conditions assuming a heated showroom floor I couldn't imagine being concerned.

The type of bike is also a important consideration, can you shed light on that?

i believe this to be not much different than a low milage used bike from the same year, only with the advantage you should be getting a warranty. Essentially worries if any would be with the storage conditions assuming a heated showroom floor i couldn't imagine being concerned.

The type of bike is also a important consideration, can you shed light on that?

cbr

Most dealers I know place their batteries on charging banks. With the need of bikes they sell loosing 100's on dead battery complaints is not good for their bottom line.

We are talking about a Honda here, I assume the discount is substantial or a new current model would be preferred.

I do not as stated before have much concern but it might be best to hear from someone who has purchased one of these bikes.

I bought my Virago two years old still on the showroom floor and it was never an issue. A heated showroom is literally the best place you can keep a bike. As long as you're getting a good deal and maybe they should throw in a new battery to be on the safe side. Other than that you should have zero issues due to it sitting new like that.

Which CBR is it? Dealers usually dont instal the battery until the bike sells.

Original bill of sale shows my 2000 M2 Cyclone sold late 2004. First owner put a couple k on it over a few years then passed it on to distracted second owner who did nothing with it and then I bought it in non running condition (gummed carby, dead battery). This neglect has not shown as negative in any way, shape or form. Me owning it is probably the worst thing that ever happened to it.

New bikes on showroom floors, or in storage, usually don't have gas and battery installed. Dealer only adds these things when the bike is sold and being prepped for delivery. Even if they had the original battery, it would have the acid still separate from the outer casing, so the battery in this disassembled condition can last almost forever, as there is no chemical reaction occurring.

I'd not worry about a new but 3 year bike. Hopefully you can get a killer deal, because the dealership will not need to store the bike for yet another winter.

I'd be asking to have the brake fluid changed for sure. Date code on the tires?

As long as it is backed by a new vehicle warranty and it's a great deal, I'd say go for it.

In sure the dealership will do a new vehicle prep to make sure it's road worthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tires may need replacing sooner than wear dictates, depending on how much you ride it the first year. Keep an eye on them.

Thanks for all the great tips, I will ask about battery and tires and yes it comes with 12 month Factory warranty from Honda.

I bought a 2013 in 2015 and battery was toast. Almost was stuck in a parking lot in Barrie because of that

Tires may need replacing sooner than wear dictates, depending on how much you ride it the first year. Keep an eye on them.

Bought the 2012 1000 RRA, dealer said battery was never connected so should be good as new. Bike had 0km on it but got the 2012 June tires, they won't change the tires because he said it's not needed. Should I be concerned? I plan to put in approx 2k a year on the bike.

Bought the 2012 1000 RRA, dealer said battery was never connected so should be good as new. Bike had 0km on it but got the 2012 June tires, they won't change the tires because he said it's not needed. Should I be concerned? I plan to put in approx 2k a year on the bike.

If there is no flat spots it should be fine, its only 3 years old.

Only way I would buy a new bike that old is if the warranty was the same as a new bike and the price was very very very good.

2k a year? Are you going track only? Is it worth it to pay insurance for that? Are you missing a 0 in that number? I have so many questions.

Back
Top Bottom