Cold Weather Fogging | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cold Weather Fogging

This. Was considering a GT-Air as a second. The transitions visor finally came out so I just got another one. Great bang for your buck in the premium category.

Much better than the QWest? I find the Shoei QWest to be really loud. **** my old HJC is quieter.

For those that have used both, which is more effective between a heated visor and a double pane face shield for -20 and below? My pinlocked Schuberth C3 is only good down to -17 before it starts turning into a sheet of ice.

There is absolutely no fogging or freezing at all with the heated visor even at -20. There won't be a problem at any temperature, it gets warm enough that you can feel it on your face.

I have never used the double pane but I am pretty sure it it wouldn't stop freezing either.

Thanks. I'm actually out for the rest of the season. I'm gonna look for a new lid at the show in Jan. Will make sure that pinlock is available.
I tried some mouthpiece contraption last year. Didn't work great. Looked like some s&m accessory.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Pinlock availability is somewhat limited. Pinlock has 9 brands that they "cover" http://www.pinlock.nl/motor/my-helmet/?page=brands&c=2 .
There is another company that makes a visor insert that sort of "glues" in. http://www.revzilla.com/product/fog-city-pro-shield

I have experience with both. The Fogcity I had on my Icon Alliance.
Pros: expense, it is universal fit, and worked very well up to -25C(Bike wouldn't start any more, so didn't really need the helmet then :p), field of vision. Cons: cleaning/marking, installation. It's likely I didn't have a perfect seal on them (I had 4 between 2 visors over 2.5 years, ), but cleaning like it suggested always got water in between the layers. It also seemed to mark very easily.
I would recommend.

The Pinlock I have on my Shoei RF1100.
Pros: ease cleaning, installation/removal, field of vision. Cons: did not seem to work well below -10C, expense.
Re: -10C: I've only had the RF1100 for about 11 months and apparently there is a way to adjust the pins for a better seal, but I haven't attempted yet. The field of vision is slightly less, narrower and shorter, than with the Fogcity, but not by much.
Would also recommend.

May sound silly... but $120 for the Pinlock on the Shoei.

I've seen $250 HJC helmets that COME with the Pinlock.......

Must be a really special piece of plastic.

If you try to make any other piece plastic fit you'll see how special it is. What do you have against the Chinese anyway?:D

If you try to make any other piece plastic fit you'll see how special it is. What do you have against the Chinese anyway?:D

Hey who said it was Chinese.... :p

It could be made in the U.S.A (one can only hope)

May sound silly... but $120 for the Pinlock on the Shoei.

I've seen $250 HJC helmets that COME with the Pinlock.......

Must be a really special piece of plastic.

I bought the HJC fg17 this summer, came with a pinlock and I bought a second dark smoke visor, all together was under $250.

I would think that your Foggy isn't being put on properly.

When I got it on right, I had no issues. When I didn't it was a problem.

I bought the HJC fg17 this summer, came with a pinlock and I bought a second dark smoke visor, all together was under $250.

I've always wanted a Modular helmet.... Maybe time for a change. I hate how the liner is not removable in the Shoei Q-west.

I would think that your Foggy isn't being put on properly.

When I got it on right, I had no issues. When I didn't it was a problem.

It's definitely possible, although I have all the vents open (which is not super ideal when it's cold out)

I've always wanted a Modular helmet.... Maybe time for a change. I hate how the liner is not removable in the Shoei Q-west.

It's definitely possible, although I have all the vents open (which is not super ideal when it's cold out)

The fg 17 isn't modular. I already have a modular and found it heavy and noisy, so I went and bought the HJC, great helmet, light and flows a ton of air.

The fg 17 isn't modular. I already have a modular and found it heavy and noisy, so I went and bought the HJC, great helmet, light and flows a ton of air.

I like the look of the Schuberth C3 Pro. Although i'm not entirely convinced a more expensive helmet really gives that much above and beyond a cheaper (price-wise) helmet.

My old HJC-IS16 (I think that's what its called) seemed better in many ways than the Shoei QWest. I wonder how the HJC SyMax 3 Helmet is.

Which one do you have?

The idea of the Foggy I thought, was to partition your breath away from the helmet.
None of your breath should be able to escape up through the nose area; that's what the clip is for.
It should be funneled down and out near your neck.

To borrow an idea from ski goggles, maybe they should introduce a powered exhaust fan to quickly eliminate breath. Heck, that'd probably be useful in warm weather too.

I like the look of the Schuberth C3 Pro. Although i'm not entirely convinced a more expensive helmet really gives that much above and beyond a cheaper (price-wise) helmet.

My old HJC-IS16 (I think that's what its called) seemed better in many ways than the Shoei QWest. I wonder how the HJC SyMax 3 Helmet is.

Which one do you have?

I really wanted a Shoei, the only one that fit me properly was the gt air, but cost was prohibitive. Looked at the HJC FG-17, fibreglass composite, removable "silvercool" lining, great fit. Bought it at Royal distributing, fantastic helmet for the money.
Edit My modular is a cheapie vcan with Bluetooth and built in sunshade. Heavy and noisy, nothing like a Schuberth. Lol

Just a FYI, the new RF-1200 comes with pinlock...not sure about the GT-Air. Pinlock was an add-on for both the Quest and RF-1100.

Back
Top Bottom