Cold Weather Fogging | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cold Weather Fogging

Chasem

Hey guys,

So I am absolutely toasty warm, even at 9C.... although i'm having a terrible time with my prescription glasses and visor fogging up. I have to keep my visor semi-open when < 100 KM/H. Makes for some cold eyes.

I have this:

1558_1la.jpg

which helps a little bit. I am using a Shoei QWest Helmet with the vents wide open (freaking ridiculous)

Any suggestions? Any highly recommended anti-fog gels?

In with the nose, out through the mouth. At stops breath out with your mouth, directing the air downward. If you could have your exhaled air flow out below your glasses you'd solve your problem. If your mask is tight enough to completely cut off the airflow from exhaled air to your glasses it would work, but this is difficult to implement.

Holding your breath is hazardous to your life, so not recommended. Get a windshield to reduce frigid eyes.

There are certainly no shortage of products on the market to deal with this problem.
What you must beware of is there is usually a coating on the visor that may not be compatible with the product.
I generally use the stuff designed for camera lenses. These lenses also have a coating.
Buy it at a camera store. I have never had a problem using a lens anti fog product.

*someone is in between drops, I see.*

I've googled these, but I'm not sure how they work. And how do I know if my helmet will fit one?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

another vote for pinlock. What it does is add a second layer basically to your helmet, I think snowmobile helmets use this. It really does work. What you need for this to work is a new visor, a pinlock visor. Basically it is a normal visor with 2 small pins in it that let you add the pinlock insert. Dead simple and really works.

another vote for pinlock. What it does is add a second layer basically to your helmet, I think snowmobile helmets use this. It really does work. What you need for this to work is a new visor, a pinlock visor. Basically it is a normal visor with 2 small pins in it that let you add the pinlock insert. Dead simple and really works.

That clears things up nicely, thanks.
+1 for pinlock. Nothing help with the glasses - use contacts.
They don't make contacts in my rx. #Glasses4Life ?

That clears things up nicely, thanks.

They don't make contacts in my rx. #Glasses4Life 

The inserts are easy to remove and add, you can get can different tints as well if you are used to using a tinted visor. You will just have to look and see if there are pinlock visors available for whatever helmet you have.

The inserts are easy to remove and add, you can get can different tints as well if you are used to using a tinted visor. You will just have to look and see if there are pinlock visors available for whatever helmet you have.
Thanks. I'm actually out for the rest of the season. I'm gonna look for a new lid at the show in Jan. Will make sure that pinlock is available.
I tried some mouthpiece contraption last year. Didn't work great. Looked like some s&m accessory.

They don't make contacts in my rx. #Glasses4Life 

what's your rx? Just curious. Until you get a pin-lock take some dawn or palmolive and rub it into the backside of the visor with a paper towel until it there's no residue left. try it, its an old hockey visor trick...

what's your rx? Just curious. Until you get a pin-lock take some dawn or palmolive and rub it into the backside of the visor with a paper towel until it there's no residue left. try it, its an old hockey visor trick...
I actually do that with my glasses. Wears down the coating quicker, though.
To be more specific, I have severe astigmatism. Only Bausch will make the contacts. They have to be rigid toric. Extremely uncomfortable and wildly expensive. So not really an option.

I have this:
1558_1la.jpg

These masks sometimes channel your breath upwards if the seal to your nose/cheeks is not tight. A bead of silicon caulk may help with that.

Just kidding...

This type of mask may help - has an opening for the nostrils and holes for the mouth. Breath goes outwards instead of up to the glasses. http://www.daytonamotorsport.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=82

Worked for me at -7C and 100km/h, although I wear a 3/4, not full-face...

I think my prescription is 0.75 for both eyes, so not too bad.

And I'm sure the Pinlock is the way to go... My current Shoei visor is covered in rock chips and scratches ( never ride right behind Motorcycle Mike when he's on the DRZ..........)

Lol.

Either a new visor or new helmet that comes with a Pinlock. Never really been a fan of the Shoei QWest.

I use a heated snowmobile visor on my Scorpion EXO-900 helmet. My breath will actually freeze onto the visor in the winter time. It has the nose and mouth piece too.

98% effective solution: double-pane face shield. Usually sold under the snowmobile helmet category. You will thank me for it. Pinlock works but eventually fails in my experience. Using a breath box in conjunction with a double-pane visor is even better but not necessary.

For those that have used both, which is more effective between a heated visor and a double pane face shield for -20 and below? My pinlocked Schuberth C3 is only good down to -17 before it starts turning into a sheet of ice.

Shoei RF1200

Back
Top Bottom