Massive 401 crashes and splitting | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Massive 401 crashes and splitting

This is the first I've heard of this. Why would you flash your brakes to exit the highway?
I actually always flash the brakes prior to slowing and add a slight weave/swerve to attract attention from whoever is following. I believe that is the same reason, because you will be drastically slowing. But I may be mistaken on the official reason.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

You could say that about bicycles too but that doesn't stop city planners across the world, including those in Canada, from reserving bike lanes on city streets and implementing single-file laws for the benefit of that "recreational" and seasonal mode of transportation.

IOW, there's precedent for "special" legal treatment of other means of transportation that are seasonal and/or recreational.

You're trying to argue that there are more motorcycles than bicycles in Canada, and that bicycles don't run year round more than motorcycles in Toronto?

This is the first I've heard of this. Why would you flash your brakes to exit the highway?

Because it's two points on the M2X if you don't?

I actually always flash the brakes prior to slowing and add a slight weave/swerve to attract attention from whoever is following. I believe that is the same reason, because you will be drastically slowing. But I may be mistaken on the official reason.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

It was explained to me that you show people behind where your brake lights show, priming them, in case you need to stop later on. It's also muscle memory for when you are engine braking anywhere. It also shows that you are exiting the highway, and not potentially speeding up to get back on. Normally, the first thing that someone following you seeing your brake lights go on will do, is to take their foot off of the gas. Which helps from being rear-ended if you have to stop suddenly.

The cop saw someone doing something wrong and potentially dangerous on the road, stopped him, and tried to dissuade him from doing it again.
Let's cut the crap, the cop didn't see anything potentially dangerous, I was literally walking my bike so neither him, pedestrians or myself were at any point in any danger, illegal as per the law yes but not dangerous. He simply saw an opportunity to fill his quota of tickets for the day.

Let's cut the crap, the cop didn't see anything potentially dangerous, I was literally walking my bike so neither him, pedestrians or myself were at any point in any danger, illegal as per the law yes but not dangerous. He simply saw an opportunity to fill his quota of tickets for the day.

O.k. I"ll play. Just exactly what is "literally walking my bike" considered to be potentially.
I have to assume that you were walking it along the road, in traffic.

Potentially . . .

I was at the club district at 2am (traffic jam) just passed the Scottia Theatre trying to make a right, traffic was all going straight, there was room for the bike to easily pass one car and make a right but because it was so busy I accelerated while helping the bike by walking while sitting on it, I was so slow that if I put the feet on the pegs, the bike would have fallen to the side.

O.k. I"ll play. Just exactly what is "literally walking my bike" considered to be potentially.
I have to assume that you were walking it along the road, in traffic.

Potentially . . .

You're trying to argue that there are more motorcycles than bicycles in Canada, and that bicycles don't run year round more than motorcycles in Toronto?

No, I'm not arguing numbers. Your point specifically noted that motorcycles are "recreational" and seasonal modes of transportation. I simply pointed out that while the very same logic applies to bicycles, that has not hindered laws from being passed favoring bicycles (e.g. roads re-purposed with bike lanes & line-astern sharing etc.)

But re numbers: According to one source, in 2006 1.7% of people in Toronto rode their bikes to work, suggesting that 98.3% were used recreationally. And yet we still have bikes lanes and lane-sharing for them...

Last edited:
That cop was a dick though, and fighting that ticket would have been easy, since it's standard practice for even cars to squeeze for a right turn if there's room.
I've used part of the sidewalk with my car, lol, on more than one occasion. Assuming there are no pedestrians (or police) nearby.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

If I understand that, and looking at a map (looks like that intersection has since been turned into a roundabout?), they were heading straight, filtered past, and went straight through. That's a different case than turning right beside a vehicle waiting to go straight.

Bunda did turn right after filtering through on the right side of the cars. Read line 30 onwards of the ruling at http://www.canlii.org/en/on/oncj/doc/2009/2009oncj620/2009oncj620.html to see why Bunda was convicted for it.

Back
Top Bottom