Heated vest... What's the best bang for your buck? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Heated vest... What's the best bang for your buck?

I have a gears vest works well and was priced well.

sent from a device using a program

I'll have to look mine up but its fairly long and also comes up high on the neck and is warm even without the heat on. The battery supplies low heat for a few hours and if you get an extra battery it gives a reasonable time for heat.
I did not want wired and I use the vest off the bike. The battery sits in a special little pocket ....really keeps neck and upper back warm riding or not.

Check for sale section in ten minutes

I have a Tourmaster full heated jacket which I would highly recco over a vest. Even came with a temperature controller that velcros on my thigh so I can adjust the heat on the fly

Looking for a vest.. Any input would be appreciated.

I know you mentioned a vest... but I would recommend a jacket (not really that much more... and keeping the arms warm helps a LOT)

I personally have a Powerlet Heated Jacket that works pretty damn well.

http://www.thewarmingstore.com/powe...cket-liner-dual-wireless-heat-controller.html

Mine is similar, except dual stage with wireless remote. I'm telling you it gives WAY WAY more heat than a battery operated vest (and lasts forever....) not to mention it has the hookups for gloves... .should you choose to get heated gloves. Even the heated glove liners work great. I like my Gerbing T5's (although they are a little pricer)

Powerlet_Heated_Jacket_Liner.jpg

;)

Edit: I have a battery operated jacket as well (Milwaukee) and the power difference is laughable. The Powerlet can REALLY pump out the warmth if you need it. I rode a naked bike (KTM 690 Enduro) in freezing temperatures and I had to turn the jacket down.

Last edited:
I use a full heated jacket as well, have a gears genx3 jacket and glove liners with dual controller. Works awesome.

I've got the Velocity pair and it's great. However I do miss the arms being covered with heating elements as when I took it out for a ride last week all was good except the arms...which made the rest of me cold.

I'd definitely recommend the full jacket liner because it also prevents the wind from entering towards your body.

And the liner is very snug too.

My leather jacket is pretty tight and the liner fits easily underneath.

the only other thing youll need is a good face mask i think.

I just ordered this from ebay for under $2.00 lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271695208324

Once it gets here, ill be good to ride for another 1.5-2 months.

Lowe's has the same jacket velocity sells for less expensive officially, Size medium is $75 on their website ready to order (i actually found a size Large for about half that price in store...but that was tricky)
https://www.lowes.ca/coats-jackets/...-li-ion-heated-compression-vest_g2352494.html
The different sizes are different price which is weird but whatever, its something to look into if you want that vest without the gloves he's selling at velocity :)

Used it this morning and for what i paid, definitely worth it. Of course wasnt crazy cold this morning, but i was actually HOT while on the medium setting riding in 12 degree temps on the highway

Now i only need to find heated gloves and im set.

Last edited:
Now i only need to find heated gloves and im set.
Consider heated grips - more convenient than gloves... But may get cold fingers if holding clutch/brake for a while in traffic, and heat is on the palms only vs all-around...

Edit: I have a battery operated jacket as well (Milwaukee) and the power difference is laughable. The Powerlet can REALLY pump out the warmth if you need it. I rode a naked bike (KTM 690 Enduro) in freezing temperatures and I had to turn the jacket down.

I've only ever used the Milwaukie. Seems good. The other jacket is really that mech better? What's the price difference? My jacket was $80

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Consider heated grips - more convenient than gloves... But may get cold fingers if holding clutch/brake for a while in traffic, and heat is on the palms only vs all-around...
Exactly why i want the gloves instead of grips. Half my riding is in stop and go traffic. I feel that getting handguards + heated gloves would be the ultimate combo for my needs. I was tempted by the velocity deal but seeing how
a) i found much cheaper at a regular retailer for the same product (making me doubt of how much of a deal it is although he's the maker of them lol)
b) he's out of size medium anyways

I'm gonna have to keep my eye out for a decent deal elsewhere :)

I've only ever used the Milwaukie. Seems good. The other jacket is really that mech better? What's the price difference? My jacket was $80

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Joe at 9C I have to keep the heated jacket on low.... On high it would likely roast you. Just picture being wrapped in a full electric blanket... But it heats up faster and all over.

I paid roughly $250 for the jacket and wireless controller. To me it is definitely worth it.

Compare the wattage of the battery operated jackets / vests.... It's not even comparable IMO.

Also the Gerbing T5's are a little spendy, but much much better than heated grips. Although I still got heated grips on the bike because it works with all my gloves and I don't have to worry about wires. The gloves heat your whole hand / fingers not just palms.

Will give you raw data later.

Last edited:
** Disclaimer I'm not bashing Velocity Gear or Battery operated stuff.... Just showing a simple comparison **

Fired_Up_Litium_Ion_12V_5000_mAh_Battery_Front.jpg

This is the battery used by the FiredUP Gear. 11.1V at 5000mAh... actually a pretty nice sized battery. That could provide 55 Watts of energy for 1 hour. To give 3-4 hours of "high" usage the vest would be using about 14 watts.
14 w/hr of energy. The Powerlet Jacket does 105W. That means the wired jacket can produce 7.5X times the amount of energy/heat.

The FiredUP battery would be flat in under 30 minutes running at the Powerlet Jacket level.

Again, not trying to bash anything... it's simply battery VS motorcycle alternator.

The battery stuff takes the chill off, and defiantly helps. The wired gear is like an electric blanket. Keep in mind what you wear OVER the heated gear makes a massive difference.

Last edited:
** Disclaimer I'm not bashing Velocity Gear or Battery operated stuff.... Just showing a simple comparison **

This is the battery used by the FiredUP Gear. 11.1V at 5000mAh... actually a pretty nice sized battery. That could provide 55 Watts of energy for 1 hour. To give 3-4 hours of "high" usage the vest would be using about 14 watts.
14 w/hr of energy. The Powerlet Jacket does 105W. That means the wired jacket can produce 7.5X times the amount of energy/heat.

The FiredUP battery would be flat in under 30 minutes running at the Powerlet Jacket level.

Again, not trying to bash anything... it's simply battery VS motorcycle alternator.

The battery stuff takes the chill off, and defiantly helps. The wired gear is like an electric blanket. Keep in mind what you wear OVER the heated gear makes a massive difference.
Nice comparison.

Basically FiredUP makes sure you're never freezing where as Powerlet makes sure you're never cold.

Being a skier, i know the difference between both and can live easily with being cold and dont mind it. But then there's also the budget aspect that made it a no brainer for me.

Hi Guy's my 2 cents. We use Infrared which consumes a fraction of the power a resistive wired heated vest would. Resistive wired technology tries to heat up air and everything around it so you need a lot more power. Far Infrared only tries to heat up what it's in contact with so uses a lot less power so this battery in the vest in high will last you 3 - 4 hours. This has been personally tested by me wearing it the entire winter last year.

Carry on.

Hi Guy's my 2 cents. We use Infrared which consumes a fraction of the power a resistive wired heated vest would. Resistive wired technology tries to heat up air and everything around it so you need a lot more power. Far Infrared only tries to heat up what it's in contact with so uses a lot less power so this battery in the vest in high will last you 3 - 4 hours. This has been personally tested by me wearing it the entire winter last year.

Carry on.

The Powerlet Jacket i'm comparing it to uses FIR (Far Infrared) as well. I should also mention the MAX / HIGH on the Powerlet Jacket is like ludicrous level. Maybe if its -10C and your on the highway... but even then everything else would be frozen. It is nice to quickly warm up and then turn it to low, and not have to worry about batteries. As an indication I had a few rides last year at roughly 0C on a dirt bike wearing a MESH JACKET.

I have my Milwaukee Heated Jacket for off the bike.

Last edited:
Cool. You wouldn't happen to have the specs on the size of the heating pads? Our back heating pad is 9"X 9" and front ones are 5" X 5" and with another 2" X 9" at the base of the neck. Trust me it's a lot of heat with no wires attached to the bike. We provide just another option. One thing no matter which one you buy make sure it's FIR heat based.

The Powerlet Jacket i'm comparing it to uses FIR (Far Infrared) as well.

Back
Top Bottom