bought a Harley but too many problems | GTAMotorcycle.com

bought a Harley but too many problems

farmer

Hi

bought a Harley 2006 ElectraGlide a month ago.
I saw Kijiji ad as 35K km but figure out it's 36k Mile a day later I paid them all. also I ran a full check in Harley dealer, the mechanic said, the bike has too many problems.

been talked to the dealer who sold the bike, he said he can compensate 300$.

any idea? advise?

thanks

Hi

bought a Harley 2006 ElectraGlide a month ago.
I saw Kijiji ad as 35K km but figure out it's 36k Mile a day later I paid them all. also I ran a full check in Harley dealer, the mechanic said, the bike has too many problems.

been talked to the dealer who sold the bike, he said he can compensate 300$.

any idea? advise?

thanks

Purchased via private sale or through a dealer? Sold certified or as is?

What s actually wrong with it?

Does your bill of sale say "as is" on it? If so, then I think you're stuck with it and the added expenses. I don't think there's much you can do, in retrospect you should have taken it to a Harley dealer first.

really curious whats wrong with it?
there isnt all that much to harleys. you can rebuild the motors for fairly cheap.

from a dealer, one guy running business but a company. had list of issues including warp rear rotor, they even suspected how this got safety checked. anyway re-visit Harley and another repair shop to fix this and that, cost 1K +. main issue is the advertising he put was 35K KM as mileage. but it's US bike has 37K Milage actually. anything I can do? appreciate all reply bikers!

It would depend on too many factors for us to give you a reliable reply. The one thing you mentioned was a warped rear rotor, was the bike sold as certified? Was the bike ridden before the rotor was discovered? If so then the "dealer" can claim that it was warped after it was saftied, if you picked it up and took it directly to theharley dealer and they discovered it then you "may" have a recourse, First thing is find out who did, (signed), the safety. Is it a :friend" of the guy pretending to be a dealer? or someone not connected etc?

As for the mileage doesn't matter what the ad says what truly matters is what the mileage is recorded as on the sales contract. Of course the obvious question is how did you not notice the bike was in miles as opposed to KM before you purchased. It has been a while since I put a vehicle on Kijiji, but I believe it only gives KM as an option to list vehicle odometer readign so the "dealer" merely put down what was the reading at the time. It is really (IMHO), up to the buyer to ensure what the mileage actually is on a vehicle.

Is this guy/delaer a member of OMVIC? If so they have a complaint appartus. You can also file complaints with BBB, and corporate and consumers affairs. Then your other recourse is of course small claims court.

Most of this will of course depend on what is written on/in the contract, (which you admit you haven't read). That could bite you big time in the arse.

from a dealer, one guy running business but a company. had list of issues including warp rear rotor, they even suspected how this got safety checked. anyway re-visit Harley and another repair shop to fix this and that, cost 1K +. main issue is the advertising he put was 35K KM as mileage. but it's US bike has 37K Milage actually. anything I can do? appreciate all reply bikers!

You need to see a lawyer for that kind of advice, not an internet forum. Also inform the police about this guy, he might have a history. If what you're saying is true then the "dealer" (you're not giving us his name so I assume he's a fly-by-night type) is guilty of fraud and misrepresentation. Demand a full refund or you put him in front of a judge.

You need to see a lawyer for that kind of advice, not an internet forum. Also inform the police about this guy, he might have a history. If what you're saying is true then the "dealer" (you're not giving us his name so I assume he's a fly-by-night type) is guilty of fraud and misrepresentation. Demand a full refund or you put him in front of a judge.
Police likely will not get involved in a case like this, as I said if the actual contract, if the correct mileage is on the contract then there is no fraud. The "dealer" need only say the ad was a typo, to have a viable defense for misrepresentation, or fraud. He doesn't, have the same opportunity as say a dealership paper ad to print a "retraction". He could also point out that Kijiji doesn't give the opportunity to post the mileage in miles only KM

That is why I said the OP has to give full details to provide a proper reply. There seems to be a lot of details missing. He hasn't even said if the bike was sold as is, or how long he was riding it before it went into the second mechanic that stated the rear rotor was warped. For all we know the second mechanic, (remember to is a harley dealership), Is just trying to get work to replace a part that may or may not actually have an issue. sounds like a great case for another opinion on what is or isn't wrong. We also don't know any details on the bike, like what the OP paid for it, for all we know the "dealer" could have sold at a discount taking into account the required work. The OP didn't read the contract so it is also possible he missed "other things"

Last edited:
Easy way to check if the bike is us model . The serial number starts with a number not a letter . They are exactly the same except serial number and speedo . The Canadian speedo can be bought cheaper in the us .

Easy way to check if the bike is us model . The serial number starts with a number not a letter . They are exactly the same except serial number and speedo . The Canadian speedo can be bought cheaper in the us .
Exactly, which is why I wondered how it was that the OP didn't notice the speedo was in MPH as opposed to KMH before he bought the bike. Sounds like he was only aware perhaps after the harley dealership pointed this out to him. As far as I know as long as a vehicle has been legally imported and regsitered here in Ontario a dealer is not "required" to disclose if it was a US vehicle, (although I would expect a respectable dealership to do so). I bought a used 95 F150, (private sale), and the fellow advised that it was imported from the US, (he considered it a selling feature due to lack of rust). But I had already determined that the minute I climbed into the cab and seen the speedo.

$1K+ is not bad to fix up a 2006 bike. Take it the dealer to change the speedo to a Canadian/KM version so it's easier to ride the proper speed ($800?). Then ride it! Thats a nice touring bike. Or sell it at a loss as lesson learned. Nothing you can do if the 'dealer' doesn't want to cancel the sale and take it back.

Looks like you got yourself in a right pickle

Dude, if you signed it without reading it then it's all on you.
I guessing you paid a lot because it's a harley, so what's another $1K? Small price to pay for your own lack of due diligence.

Used Harley is like a ticking time bomb. Sorry to hear about your ordeal.

Used Harley is like a ticking time bomb. Sorry to hear about your ordeal.

?What? How do you figure that? That's a load of crap, probably from yet another HD expert who has no experience at all with owning and operating a HD but spouts off at the mouth with an opinion based on assumptions and or hate.

You want a ticking time bomb?...anything from Japan is crap. Used or new. There you go. Utter bhullshite, espoused as a statement of fact, like yours. ;)

Last edited:

First two digits of the serial number is the country of assembly/manufacture. It has nothing to do with where the model is sold or where the model is destined. For example vehicles made in the USA will have a vin have a range of 1A to 10 (the entire 4 and 5 range is also USA) or in other words the entire 1X, 4X and 5X range, so they ALL start with a number if made in the USA.

If the serial number starts with a letter there is no way that bike is made in the USA. If for example your Harley has J as the first letter it is made in Japan and it is a Honda...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number#World_manufacturer_identifier

The VIN and WMI standards came into place in the early 1980s AFAIK. Does not apply to anything made before then.

Speedo is of course different.

Last edited:
friends, super appreciate all your replies, I think so it's an expensive lecture, I think I should explain the story bit more to answer your cares.

new in Toronto, don't miss the season before the winter comes,
hurried to buy one - also super busy in day time, believed all what the dealer said, he is a one-person business man - I won't reveal his name for his privacy.

I decided to buy one after checking it. checked the sound, and design, scratches. never noticed it US bike, Millage.
when I got the bike, rode 3 min, it goes and stops. so took it. signed it, not even read the details (crazy lesson),
arranged tomorrow morning first thing, in Harley dealer, full check. on it's way, the speed feels weird. noticed it's US mileage. and the Harley dealer checked, it's all craps. like gave me 10 list of must fixes.

argues with the seller.

he promised he will check the bike with his Mechanic. it tool some time to arrange the time, like 2 weeks.

even the Mechanic he brought to me, saying the bike has issues, like rear rotor is too thin and warped like Harley guy said, he was wonder how it get through safe check..

those are story so far.

one last, I fixed the rotor at Harley dealer,

just came back 600km ride today - lots of wind and bit rain later.

ride pretty good now.

ha, long story.

* one more, any one know, should I supposed to get sales package from the seller? and keep it just in case I need to sell the bike later?

:)

* one more, any one know, should I supposed to get sales package from the seller? and keep it just in case I need to sell the bike later?

:)

A sellers package is required. I would not buy something without it. Gives you data on previous owners ,liens and some other basic info. The seller is to show buyer this document so they know what they are buying. The MTO sells them.

From the Ministry

++++++++++++++++
By Ontario law, private sellers of most motor vehicles, including motorcycles, must provide buyers with a Used Vehicle Information Package. This package guides you through the process of buying or selling and helps you understand your rights and responsibilities.
[h=2]More Information:[/h]
Did you know?
Every year, over one million used vehicles change ownership in Ontario.
[h=3]The used Vehicle Information Package (UVIP) includes:[/h]
  1. Description of the vehicle
    • Vehicle Indentification Number (VIN)
    • Plate Number
    • Year, Make
    • Model
    • Colour
    • Body Type
    • Cylinders
    • Power
    • Status
    • Brand
  2. Ontario vehicle registration history
  3. Odometer information
  4. Outstanding debts (link to liens) on the vehicle
  5. Wholesale and retail values for the vehicle's model and year, if available
  6. Retail sales tax requirements
  7. Bill of sale
  8. Tips on vehicle safety standards inspections
Who needs a Used Vehicle Information Package?
You need a package only if you are privately selling a:

• Car
  • Van
  • Light truck (gross weight of 3,000 kilograms or less)
  • Self-propelled motor home
  • Motorcycle

Back
Top Bottom