Well, it's gone. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Well, it's gone.

Morrissey

I knew this day would come eventually. After 17 years, my 1996 Virago 1100cc has been sold. I bought her brand new (non-current) off the showroom floor back in 1998 when I was a few months shy of my 17th birthday. No bank would touch me for financing even though I was working a full time job. Luckily my parents had the trust and faith in me to lend me the money. I loved that bike so much. I rode it all over. In the summer of 1998, I rode that bike out to PEI, NewBrunswick, Cape Breton and Newfoundland. I rode it all through college and into the start of my career. I took my Wife out for her first ever ride on a motorcycle on it. In all the years I had it, I only ever had to replace a few bearings and a gasket. The rest was routine maintenance. In 2010, I gave the bike to my Wife and I bought my Bandit. Together in 2011, we rode through NY, VT, NH, MN, NewBrunswick and onto Cape Breton and back with her on the Virago. In 2012 my Wife decided to give up riding when she found out she was pregnant. I knew I couldn't keep both bikes and was ready to sell the Virago. After a four years of not riding due to health reasons, my Father was looking to get back into riding and asked if he could buy the bike. So, it stayed in the family once more. Since my Dad took it over, he and my Mom have been enjoying day trips together almost every weekend and Dad and I got to do some great Father/Son rides again.

But, nothing lasts forever. My Dad and Mom have been enjoying riding so much, they decided to get something a little bigger and bought a Yamaha Road Star 1700. The Virago was traded in.

I got to take the Virago out for a few rides this last week and it was great to take that trip down memory lane. I instantly remember how it felt back when I was 16 and loved the familiar sound and feel of the bike. After all these years and 95,850 km she is starting to show her age in the motor. I kept it really nice over the years and always got a lot of compliments where ever I went. I loved to spend a Friday night in the driveway shining it up for a Saturday ride. Even when my Dad took it over I would detail it for him from stem to stern a few times a summer.

I couldn't have asked for a better bike to spend so many years with.

I knew this day would come eventually. After 17 years, my 1996 Virago 1100cc has been sold. I bought her brand new (non-current) off the showroom floor back in 1998 when I was a few months shy of my 17th birthday. No bank would touch me for financing even though I was working a full time job. Luckily my parents had the trust and faith in me to lend me the money. I loved that bike so much. I rode it all over. In the summer of 1998, I rode that bike out to PEI, NewBrunswick, Cape Breton and Newfoundland. I rode it all through college and into the start of my career. I took my Wife out for her first ever ride on a motorcycle on it. In all the years I had it, I only ever had to replace a few bearings and a gasket. The rest was routine maintenance. In 2010, I gave the bike to my Wife and I bought my Bandit. Together in 2011, we rode through NY, VT, NH, MN, NewBrunswick and onto Cape Breton and back with her on the Virago. In 2012 my Wife decided to give up riding when she found out she was pregnant. I knew I couldn't keep both bikes and was ready to sell the Virago. After a four years of not riding due to health reasons, my Father was looking to get back into riding and asked if he could buy the bike. So, it stayed in the family once more. Since my Dad took it over, he and my Mom have been enjoying day trips together almost every weekend and Dad and I got to do some great Father/Son rides again.

But, nothing lasts forever. My Dad and Mom have been enjoying riding so much, they decided to get something a little bigger and bought a Yamaha Road Star 1700. The Virago was traded in.

I got to take the Virago out for a few rides this last week and it was great to take that trip down memory lane. I instantly remember how it felt back when I was 16 and loved the familiar sound and feel of the bike. After all these years and 95,850 km she is starting to show her age in the motor. I kept it really nice over the years and always got a lot of compliments where ever I went. I loved to spend a Friday night in the driveway shining it up for a Saturday ride. Even when my Dad took it over I would detail it for him from stem to stern a few times a summer.

I couldn't have asked for a better bike to spend so many years with.

Good read! She didn't have a name!? :p

No space in the garage? Keep it as a souvenir

Well said. Sounds like you had a Lotta fun.

You never had any problems with the starter?

Nope, she never had a name. I called her "The Virago". I don't believe in keeping garage statues, ride 'em or sell 'em. The starter issue was rectified by Yamaha in the very early 90's and was never an issue on my '96.

The service manual for the starter is bigger than most bike complete manuals.

I am cleaning my old bike & keeping it in the living room for a conversation piece

What was your insurance like at 17? Wonder what it costs for someone that age now

My insurance was $2200/year just for liability. Would have been double that for full coverage. Keep in mind, that's in 1998 money! I had a 400cc Yamaha before that and the insurance company I was with wouldn't even touch me on the 1100cc! They told me to send them $100 to cover me until my renewal date and then to find a new insurance company. It was really good incentive to ride safely and not get into trouble. Can you imagine how much it would have cost if I had gotten a ticket or two?

Oh how I miss the good old days when 100% of my income was disposable!

that was good to read. Makes me look forward to keeping my 250 for many more years and riding it as an old fart. I'll remember what a goon I once was on such a humble piece of machinery :p. I hope it lasts 17 years though because its an 09 and already has as many km's as your bike.

My insurance was $2200/year just for liability. Would have been double that for full coverage. Keep in mind, that's in 1998 money! I had a 400cc Yamaha before that and the insurance company I was with wouldn't even touch me on the 1100cc! They told me to send them $100 to cover me until my renewal date and then to find a new insurance company. It was really good incentive to ride safely and not get into trouble. Can you imagine how much it would have cost if I had gotten a ticket or two?

Oh how I miss the good old days when 100% of my income was disposable!

$2200 in 1998 money is equivalent to 3,064.11; thats not a half bad deal you got back then..

At aged 21 (only a few years ago) I had the pleasure of spending $4300 per year on insurance (after shopping comapnies for what feels like forever) on a toothless cbr 125r. God insurance is awful.

Those were the days, when a 17 year old could get even semi-reasonable insurance. I'm 24, and that bike would run me well over $3000 (the equivalent after inflation).

$2200 in 1998 money is equivalent to 3,064.11; thats not a half bad deal you got back then..

At aged 21 (only a few years ago) I had the pleasure of spending $4300 per year on insurance (after shopping comapnies for what feels like forever) on a toothless cbr 125r. God insurance is awful.

I just fell out of my chair reading your cost and the post below too. Wow!

I started riding in '99 and paid $1600/yr for just liability on my EX500. I was 16 at the time.

I don't know how anyone can afford to get into riding these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the sadness will ease with time. A few years ago i decided that after 12 years and 133,000 k's and years of awesome memories it was time to replace my Vstar, even though it was still in great shape and running order it was time for a new ride, It was tough to let it go but it was time. Even though i love my FJR i still miss the Vstar.

The first time I paid for my own insurance. A full year's coverage was $450. I had to sell a very nice Omega Seamaster to get the money.
I still miss that watch.

I don't know how anyone can afford to get unto riding these days.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its not that expensive to get into this sport just need to be smart about it. Don't get a high powered bike as your first, get used gear and build up your skill along with your insurance.

When guys want brand new super sports and high cc bikes because they'll get 'bored' in a few months it gets expensive fast along with high fashion gear.

I started with a 125cc then a 250 and my insurance never went over 700/year. Now I pay 650 or so on a 500 and I'm gathering gear at a slow pace and each piece is better.

I bought my first bike, 2000 CBR929, right when it came out. When I went to get insurance my agent couldn't find that model in her computer so she just picked the first honda on the list. She said it was going to be $128. I asked her if they take that monthly off my credit card or what, and she said "Oh, that's for the entire year!" Oh damn, paid 5 years upfront, cash on the spot!! She ended up picking a 50cc scooter! I ignored all the registered letters they sent me for those 5 years.

Jamie00CBR929withYoshRS3_L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom