laptop installation in car | GTAMotorcycle.com

laptop installation in car

slogan

If somebody could direct me to the rules of installation of equipment to the vehicle cabin? We have a product for emergency services, that incorporates laptop in a cabin. We purchased a mount for the laptop, but I am not sure what are the regulations and what certification/license (if any) should we obtain to be able to test-drive our equipment with a laptop installed?
I tried search on MTO website, but did not find it yet...
I'll appreciate comments ;)

If somebody could direct me to the rules of installation of equipment to the vehicle cabin? We have a product for emergency services, that incorporates laptop in a cabin. We purchased a mount for the laptop, but I am not sure what are the regulations and what certification/license (if any) should we obtain to be able to test-drive our equipment with a laptop installed?
I tried search on MTO website, but did not find it yet...
I'll appreciate comments ;)
This would be something you would likely have to contact MTO directly, as for regs, the laptop would fall under the same regs as "entertainment screens" in that they can't be visible to the driver while the vehicle is in motion. Emergency services have an exemption, similiar to the exemption they have for cell phones etc.

I can't imagine there being a regulation specifically permitting "testing" otherwise what would prevent anyone from installing it and saying they were just "testing it" This would be such an unusual scenario it would likely require a "special exemption" (or in other words a letter authorizing it and stating how and when the testing could be conducted).

Ontario Highway Traffic Act
Display screen visible to driver prohibited
78. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway if the display screen of a television, computer or other device in the motor vehicle is visible to the driver. 2009, c. 4, s. 1.

no monitor devices.. does this gps devices are illegal?
[h=3][/h][h=3]Exceptions[/h](2) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of the display screen of,
(a) a global positioning system navigation device while being used to provide navigation information;
(b) a hand-held wireless communication device or a device that is prescribed for the purpose of subsection 78.1 (1);
(c) a logistical transportation tracking system device used for commercial purposes to track vehicle location, driver status or the delivery of packages or other goods;
(d) a collision avoidance system device that has no other function than to deliver a collision avoidance system; or
(e) an instrument, gauge or system that is used to provide information to the driver regarding the status of various systems of the motor vehicle. 2009, c. 4, s. 1.

no monitor devices.. does this gps devices are illegal?
As FLSTC, posted, no it doesn't include GPS unts, you have to remember most sections of the HTA were written well before these devices became common.

Maybe you could seek special dispensation if your company can show cooperation with and development for an existing project aligned to an emergency services unit. That might give you the exemption under Ontario Regulation 366/09.

Tesla vehicles have a huge display screen, ask how or why they can do it and it might give you an answer...
Tesla can have the huge display screen because of subsection (e).

(2)
Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of the display screen of,

(a) a global positioning system navigation device while being used to provide navigation information;
(b) a hand-held wireless communication device or a device that is prescribed for the purpose of subsection 78.1 (1);
(c) a logistical transportation tracking system device used for commercial purposes to track vehicle location, driver status or the delivery of packages or other goods;
(d) a collision avoidance system device that has no other function than to deliver a collision avoidance system; or
(e) an instrument, gauge or system that is used to provide information to the driver regarding the status of various systems of the motor vehicle. 2009, c. 4, s. 1.

In this case the OP is seeking to install an aftermarket item not at factory installed unit.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom