# of bikes you can own? | GTAMotorcycle.com

# of bikes you can own?

yardi

I was wondering if there was any law regarding how many motorcycles and vehicles cars, boat, seadoos, atv, snowmobiles one can own privately? Is there a certain amount before MTO says "no more." You've reached a limit.

As many as you like.But my expert wife says 3.

The correct number of bikes is represented by "y"

(n+1) = y

where n is the current number of bikes you own

You can own as many as you can afford, however there is a limit to how many you can buy/sell in a one year period or the MTO will need you to get a dealer license . I forget what the limit is but its not that large.

What if your a collector and want to purchase bikes and sell some as well? Do you guys know how many bikes you can buy in one year or sell in one year? buying and seling them unfit.

I imagine there may be some sort of municipal or city bylaws regarding the storage of vehicles. Cities (and neighbors) won't generally tolerate your yard looking like a hoarder's dream or a wrecking yard. Or a dealership, for that matter.

Sounds like you might consider starting a business and setting up shop in an area zoned for that sort of thing.

It's all legal until you get caught. Buy and sell a few bikes and see how it goes.

But be careful because the tax man does NOT take kindly to people trying to get around the system.

Outside of that you're good :)

Look it up it is on the MTO website but not many you can own as many as you want but if you start selling too many at once it becomes a problem.

As many as you like.But my expert wife says 3.

Damn, my wife must be an expert as well. Apparently 3 is my limit as well.

The correct number of bikes is represented by "y"
(n+1) = y
where n is the current number of bikes you own

actually,, the Y that represents the almighty whom can say what..
.. the math looks like ( . y . )

( . Y . ) is trump..

The topic "How many bikes do you have" came up in a wintertime VRRA get-together some time ago.

The second-best answer was "It depends what you count as a bike" (Running? Complete but not running? Have all the parts but disassembled in boxes? etc)

The best answer was ... "I don't know."

^ reminds me of the abortion debate

I imagine there may be some sort of municipal or city bylaws regarding the storage of vehicles. Cities (and neighbors) won't generally tolerate your yard looking like a hoarder's dream or a wrecking yard. Or a dealership, for that matter.

Sounds like you might consider starting a business and setting up shop in an area zoned for that sort of thing.
In Toronto you can't park anything in your yard. My landlord paved part of the front yard and called it a driveway. Got a bylaw notice for "parking car in front yard". Then I moved the car to the back and parked my bike there once. Got the same notice again.
It's all legal until you get caught. Buy and sell a few bikes and see how it goes.

But be careful because the tax man does NOT take kindly to people trying to get around the system.

Outside of that you're good :)

How hard is it to become a car dealer and what are the extra costs? Seems once you have a certain amount dealer insurance and plates would probably be cheaper. You don't need to worry about safety inspections or emissions since you can just slap a dealer plate on anything. You even get to use the special line at the MTO. What makes dealers so special that they get that special line, anyway?

How hard is it to become a car dealer and what are the extra costs? Seems once you have a certain amount dealer insurance and plates would probably be cheaper. You don't need to worry about safety inspections or emissions since you can just slap a dealer plate on anything. You even get to use the special line at the MTO. What makes dealers so special that they get that special line, anyway?

Actually good question and I don't have any idea...I worked at a few dealers when I was younger but these were franchises for Jaguar and Volvo so obviously different ballgame. If OP can become a dealer easy enough, then he just has to worry about storage of the bikes in a place that's zoned as such. You can't park the cars in your driveway and run a lot out of there, but if you buy and sell a few a year....shouldn't be too much involved financially....depends on OMVIC and the MTO and how they charge for licenses.

EDIT: When I was waiting for my M a few weeks ago I started chatting with an old dude that buys and flips bikes without a license. Says he went down to the US (when the dollar was at par) and flip em back up here. It's a 'hobby' for him, so I guess the question is...when does a 'hobby' become a business?

Back
Top Bottom