Using Nitrogen? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Using Nitrogen?

Great thread! (Good for a wee laugh...)
Daught dropped several coarse hints already, that our planetary atmosphere (the air we breathe) is approximately 80% nitrogen.

Nitrogen molecules are larger than straight air. Thus they take longer to pass through the tire, so you don't have to inflate as often on long hauls. For the track pointless.

Air is 78% nitrogen and 20% oxygen. So only 20% is "smaller" if it leaks out then after the next fill-up of air you would have 93% nitrogen, next time almost 99% nitrogen....

As noted above the real reason is water content. Put a dryer on your compressor if you are that worried about it.

I run water+water wetter in my tires in the summer. Drain it and switch to coolant in the winter.

Y'all are laughing about it now but there were some staunch believers in the earlier days of GTAM

I run water+water wetter in my tires in the summer. Drain it and switch to coolant in the winter.

Why do you switch to coolant in the winter? Are you worried that the water will freeze and crack your tires and rims, and then the nitrogen will leak out?

Air is 78% nitrogen and 20% oxygen. So only 20% is "smaller" if it leaks out then after the next fill-up of air you would have 93% nitrogen, next time almost 99% nitrogen....

As noted above the real reason is water content. Put a dryer on your compressor if you are that worried about it.
When you compress air, the first thing to drop from it is water vapour. So I agree with Brian, most of the moisture is from applying the bead

Not all nitrogen gas in cylinders is dried anyway. When we use it in labs and need it bone dry we feed it through drying towers unless we've bought the really expensive stuff....which I doubt the tire fillers use. Just fill your tires on a non humid day from a compressor.

Back
Top Bottom