Using Nitrogen? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Using Nitrogen?

STR

Any of you guys running nitrogen in your track tires to limit the effect of temp changes on pressure?

Any of you guys running nitrogen in your track tires to limit the effect of temp changes on pressure?

No, because nitrogen follows the ideal gas law (Pv = nRT) in the same manner as air does. Translation: it DOESN'T "limit the effect of temp changes on pressure". Its relationship between pressure and temperature is the same as air or any other gas that is substantially away from its boiling temperature/pressure.

The claims made are bunk. Junk science, if you will.

No, because nitrogen follows the ideal gas law (Pv = nRT) in the same manner as air does. Translation: it DOESN'T "limit the effect of temp changes on pressure". Its relationship between pressure and temperature is the same as air or any other gas that is substantially away from its boiling temperature/pressure.

Didn't know that.

I just mean what ever you can get a tire shop.

It makes a big difference. Problem is you don't know what the shop really put in your tires. Many are lying that's why people like brian don't believe in it. I have this compressor you can buy from me that is guaranteed to pump minimum 78% nitrogen. Get it and you will know you get the real deal.

My basic science is evading me... Shouldn't heavier gases have less of an effect with temperature?

From all the years of dealing with racers and nitrogen the reason that it is used over compressed air is moisture content. Moisture on compressed air from your home, shop, gas station will all contain moisture. The moisture among effects the pressure growth with heat. Professional race teams need to know how much pressure gain happens and using nitrogen which is a dry gas always gives the same pressure increase with a set amount of heat (number of laps if you want). So it's not the gas that is different its moisture in the gas. You can add a dryer to a regular compressor and get similar results.

It makes a big difference. Problem is you don't know what the shop really put in your tires. Many are lying that's why people like brian don't believe in it. I have this compressor you can buy from me that is guaranteed to pump minimum 78% nitrogen. Get it and you will know you get the real deal.

Isn't the air around us 78% nitrogen already?

^ THIS.

Water doesn't follow the ideal gas law when it changes between two phases (liquid and gas) inside your tire.

Compressed air that has gone through a dryer will not be influenced by the presence of water in the liquid phase. Same claimed (but wrong) benefit as nitrogen.

Use soap and water to lubricate the bead of the tire as you put it onto the rim (which is standard practice) and you have introduced liquid water into the tire and throw that benefit away.

Or ... don't worry about it.

There's nothing "wrong" with using nitrogen instead of compressed air. But it isn't worth seeking out or paying one worthless penny for.

And unless you mount the tire inside a nitrogen chamber, there's always going to be air inside the carcass before you pump it up.

And when your tire pressure is low when you're traveling, do you run on low pressure until you can top it up at a nitrogen dealer? Or top it up with air?

Travelling? Like when my bikes in the trailer?

Just use a regular compressor/bicycle pump (my preffered tool) and monitor your pressure off the warmers and off the track to give you an idea of your pressure increase. You only want to see a ~3psi increase if I remeber correctly.

I was just asking cause I can get it at work for free.

Are you monitoring tire pressure and temp off warmers and off track? As well as monitoring track temperature and ambient temperature?

Are you then making tire pressure adjustments based on that info?

If no, then it's a waste of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monitoring tire pressure before and after your session is where your effort should be made, not on nitrogen.

Well, I'm off to the lab to have my used oil evaluated....anybody wanna come with ?

Nitrogen molecules are larger than straight air. Thus they take longer to pass through the tire, so you don't have to inflate as often on long hauls. For the track pointless.

Back
Top Bottom